#
It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: '82 Corolla LB Lemons Build
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:16 pm 

Ok so some of you know what the 24hrs of lemons is, the $500 car endurance race. MY shop Evil Genius Racing ( EGR) has been into this popular venue for a little while now, this is my 4th lemons car ive built, ive caged a dozen or so others but this one is finally mine. should be easy right? :lol:

Bought this pile off craiglist Sacramento for 5 bills, it was a sad v8 conversion project that the PO did not finish, all i wanted was the ford 302 and T5 stuffed into it for another one of my cars: a '75 Volvo 242. my first Lemons cars was a 302 powered volvo, the "V8olvo" and ever since i drove it and won the last Buttonwollow lemons race i wanted one of my own, for the street, but thats another story. But then i realized this ugly pee yellow Toy could have potential.

so here it is, ill update as i can. the race we are shooting for is in May

the car as i got it

the wheels and tires were crap so i but on some 4x4.5" rims i had around, some Rx7 rims

now the fab work done was horrid, these pic say it all
yes the oil drain plug is resting ON the swaybar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:36 pm 

Today we (teammate/new car owner Mike and I) started the meyhem, i mean fun.

made a quick list of to do,

pulled the engine, unforunatley its not a newer roller cam engine nor does it hav a World class T5, but after some work it will work fine for my street v8olvo

begain stripping the engine bay, very little of the factory wiring will remain

Pathetic brakes, thinking of what to uswe as a bolt on upgrade, now the cost of brakes is considered free from the $500 budget as its a safety item but still costs us money but brakes are one of the most important upgrades we have to perform. we were thinking of using the larger and vented rotors from the early Cessidas, adjasent with the "Secret compound:" brake pads we have, they should work quite nicey, but still is there any other toys out there with larger rotors that would bolt on?

began to strip interior , I have an ad up in the swap section if you want any interior bits! HELP OUR BUDGET BY BUYING PARTS!!

then it was back inside to go on the lift again, here mike is measuring the rear end which has a Spool it it, ( silly drifters :wink: ) the new rear axle will either be a ford 8.8 or a gm 10 bolt ( its what Mike has laying around and we NEED a stronger axle for the power that will go through it :twisted:

also got another look at the intense welding skill of the PO

WHAT!!!??!!

finally after killing a black widow, we pulled the small stock fuel tank, it will be replaced with a 18gallon tank from a G body or possibly a large cell if we find a good one ( again fuel system is free due to safety) and preferably a larger one for so we can go at least 2 hours on a tank

the last duty of the day was to weigh the car fully stripped on the scales, no before numbers but the stripped car (with glass) is just 1302lbs!
Next up is a roll cage!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:13 pm 

Damn, that's some mighty fine welding work. I wish I could weld as well as the previous owner.

God damn!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:01 pm 

So I was gunna run one of the lemons events but I found out that you have to have quit a bit of money for all the saftey stuff for all the drivers, like full nomex suits and every driver needs a race licence and those are like spendy spendy, how much did you have to spend totale.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:30 pm 

I have a friend that is involved with a team at Lemons. Team SuckerPunch! They used a Camaro, but they sure do have an interesting array of cars in that event....including a Russian Lada.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:11 pm 

madFaber wrote:
So I was gunna run one of the lemons events but I found out that you have to have quit a bit of money for all the saftey stuff for all the drivers, like full nomex suits and every driver needs a race licence and those are like spendy spendy, how much did you have to spend totale.

total its about $2000 plus all the drivers need the$1200 of saftey gear, so yeah its still racing, and that is expensive

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]