#
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: Mr. Peanut
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:19 pm 

so i thought i would add another corolla build to the site. this is my 1974 ke20. this has been an on-going project for the past 1 1/2 years. i didn't plan on the build taking this long, but i'm a full time student with a very small budget!

before i get into the build, i'd like to extend some thank you's to people who have helped me tremendously. first, my brother-in-law who let me keep my car at his shop and pretty much use all his tools. he's an EXTREMELY talented hot rod and motorcycle builder and has shown me the ropes on welding and fabrication. this build would have gotten NOWHERE without him :tu: i'd also like to thank my brother who gave me his old motor and has taught me a lot about mechanics! i'd like to thank my friend Damien who gave me my front calipers and wired the motor for me, and thanks to all the people who took time to give me info and sell me parts :mrgreen: thats a long list so i'm sorry for not naming you individually.

so here's the rundown:

1974 ke20 corolla

-4age bluetop
-ae86 front struts,ground control coilovers, 6kg eibach springs, t3 camber plates, ncra's
-ae86 open diff rear end(LSD later) with rebuilt leafs to 4kg(waaaaay too stiff!!! gonna pull some out) and de-arched 3", 2" lowering blocks, kyb gas adjust shocks from fc3s
-t50 transmission
-ae86 clutch master cylinder
-custom one piece driveshaft
-ae86 brakes with porterfield pads
-ae86 sr5 front seats
-wheels are 14x6.5 hayashi command800

pics when i first got it
the body is pretty beat up but i like it! it has character!

old motor. slow motion 3kc

new(old) motor after clean up

prepped engine bay

it fits! i cut the old engine mounts, moved them and re-welded them

new front suspension. i did the ground control weld on kit from t3

stripped down housing and these are my newly made leaf mounts

rear end is in. that poke out is the reason for the fender flare's

flare's and bumpers are on. also painted up some trim pieces. that sticker on the bumper is a parking pass for L.A.C.C. from fall of 1982! it's staying on the car!

work in progress

AND HOW IT SITS TODAY

yes that's a turbo manifold for a header. i have the stock steering box and needed a cheap high rise option. in the future i plan on using it for it's intended purpose. i also made that downpipe and o2 sensor bung. and thats an engine damper from an s13 modified to fit
i made the shift knob from a bicycle grip and put the other one on the e-brake handle. they're glittery green hahahahaha. the shift knob is actually for function so i'm not reaching down low to grab gears...
relocated the battery to the trunk. i also put a lot of work into cleaning and painting back there!

so that's what i got so far. i have some bugs to work out though. i need to fix some rubbing issues in the rear, but no big deal. i have to remove some leafs because the rear is way to stiff. i might change the shocks to. they seemed pretty stiff as well. other than that i need a muffler, alignment, some new tires once i fix the rubbing issue and i'm good to go! oh, and if you're wondering about paint, i really don't plan on painting it. i love the patina and battle scars this car has! but if i change my mind down the road, i'm leaning towards the tan color on land cruisers.

feel free to add any suggestions or constructive criticism if you'd like! thanks for reading and i'll update as the build continues...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:27 am 

Looks great. Im digging it. I hear ya with the whole school thing. is it running already? Car looks great. keep up the good work

1971 celica....rusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:00 am 

thanks for the kind words! and yes it runs. the 4ag is a lot nicer than that 3kc!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:37 pm 

This is pure sexyness! The motor in my te31 blew so im plannin on maybe puttin a 4age in it. How hard was it? What are some aspects of the motor swap I might of not thought of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:31 pm 

Thank you! well, the biggest issues i had were measuring correctly to center the motor because i have never done something like this before. once i had figured that out cutting and re-welding the engine mounts on the cross member would have been tough if i didn't have access to a welder. another bump in the road was the headers because i have the stock stearing box and ae86 headers would hit it. mounting a hydrolic clutch is another one because the ke had a cable clutch(bending my own line and making a bracket for the clutch pedal). also, i am a total dunce when it comes to wiring and wiring diagrams, so without my friend Damien mating an ae86 engine harness with my cars harness it would not be running right now. i'm not too familiar with the te31 so maybe you wont have some of the same issues as me. but wiring up EFI on a carbed car takes some know-how. everything in my dash is wired and works. water temp, oil pressure(you need to change the sending unit on the 4ag block) charge light, speedo. honestly, if my brother didn't have this motor laying around, i would have built a 3tc... oh and don't forget about a fuel pump and a fuel filter. theres lots of things that just add up..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:32 pm 

Thanks maybe Ill stick with the 2 or 3TC if I can find one

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:19 pm 

so i removed some leaves today and cut 3/8" out of my lowering blocks. the springs seemed to loosen up a bit but the rear still didn't have much travel. after stepping back and talking about it with my bro-in-law we came to the conclusion that my shocks are bottoming out. DOH! i think i made my shock mount too high so there is no room for travel. i'm gonna cut and lower them next week. hopefully that solves my rear suspension problems!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:40 pm 
Administrator

Looks great, excellent work on the engine bay! :tu:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]