#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: new celica owner
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:54 pm 

i finnaly got my hands on a sweet 81 celica coupe its in very good chape for being a midwest car and its age im very proud of the buy and have big plans for it :lol:

but i do have some Q; :? im looking to make it into a beast :twisted: i have always been a fan of powerfull cars and my intentions are to make this into a simple beast

im scared about the clearence issue in the engine bay mostly because im looking into dropping a 2jz or a 350 sbc(because of how easy it is) anyway

WHAT do you guys think i should do?

this is some of the things ive found it seems like theres not a lot of celicas out there

the guy with the v8 is crazy(in a good way) but here it is! :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/user/hgcmike#p/a/u/0/Q6a4_29SK7w

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.c ... read=35309

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:48 pm 

I would suggest modifying the 22r, it can make some decent power. I also recommend the 3t-c, mainly because BRD Racing makes some killer parts for it. the jz engines can be a little pricey, but for a v8, in addition to a 350, the ford 302 is a very simple and common motor to work with. hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:26 am 

poindextrose15 wrote:
I would suggest modifying the 22r, it can make some decent power. I also recommend the 3t-c, mainly because BRD Racing makes some killer parts for it. the jz engines can be a little pricey, but for a v8, in addition to a 350, the ford 302 is a very simple and common motor to work with. hope that helps.

thanks for the reply but im looking in to at least have 300 whp i dont think i can gat that out a 22r so its either a 2j or a v8 the only reason i would a 350 is because im more familiar with it and not so much with the 302
is there a size difference?

also whats the 3t-s?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:05 am 

the ford 302 is a bit smaller but it is a very easy and cheap engine engine to work with, you can easily do 300hp with a 302 with a stock bottom end. the 3t-c is the engine in the 80-81 corollas, they are a 1.8 liter 4cyl, not much hp stock but brd makes parts for it to get it to 600hp+. I thought it would make a good swap because it is weighs a whole lot less than a v8, and i was going to swap one into my 1st gen celica before trouble came up and I had to get rid of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:07 am 
JNC Fanatic

silveradobeast wrote:
poindextrose15 wrote:

thanks for the reply but im looking in to at least have 300 whp i dont think i can gat that out a 22r so its either a 2j or a v8 the only reason i would a 350 is because im more familiar with it and not so much with the 302

also whats the 3t-s?

Well personally I think a V-8 would be a mistake. Wouldn't look right in that engine bay and would make it nose heavy and not handle very well. The 2JZ can be done, but it is a tight squeeze. It is all somewhat on the heavy side for that car. A 3T-C is a excellent choice. They are 1.8 motors with hemi heads. Slap some dual carbs and maybe a turbo and it is definately a giant killer. Also another good motor to look into that also lends it self well to turbo is the 3RZ motor, 4 clyinder and 2.7 easy to find too.

81 TE75 Corolla SR5 Sport Coupe modified
Custom 93 Toyota minitruck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:47 pm 

kingtoy wrote:
silveradobeast wrote:
poindextrose15 wrote:

also whats the 3t-s?

Well personally I think a V-8 would be a mistake. Wouldn't look right in that engine bay and would make it nose heavy and not handle very well. The 2JZ can be done, but it is a tight squeeze. It is all somewhat on the heavy side for that car. A 3T-C is a excellent choice. They are 1.8 motors with hemi heads. Slap some dual carbs and maybe a turbo and it is definately a giant killer. Also another good motor to look into that also lends it self well to turbo is the 3RZ motor, 4 clyinder and 2.7 easy to find too.

well the weight problem would be and easy fix! the reason why i want a v8 is because it would be different it would sound good and have lots of torque and cheap
a 2j in the other hand would be sweet but the price and not to mention the wiring and everthing that comes with it could be a nightmare
i think if i can make a v8 work i will be happy
i just havent seen any other v8 celicas other than the one on the link

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:05 pm 

how bout using a buick aluminum block 215 V8

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:43 pm 

bob380sx wrote:
how bout using a buick aluminum block 215 V8

what year?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:53 pm 

there old i dint know to much about them but there light little 318lbs V8's. there is a old mini out here with one in it and it screams. currently for sale on craigslist heres a link you could hit him up for some info.

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/1579663771.html

some info on the motor from wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8_engine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:03 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Well it would definately be different. I just think it would turn into too much of a straight line car. I am also a fan of keeping it all in the family. I am from the camp that if you build a Toyota, use a Toyota motor.

81 TE75 Corolla SR5 Sport Coupe modified
Custom 93 Toyota minitruck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:09 pm 

If you want to keep it in the family, you can use the lexus 1uz v8 engine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 6:57 pm 

kingtoy wrote:
Well it would definately be different. I just think it would turn into too much of a straight line car. I am also a fan of keeping it all in the family. I am from the camp that if you build a Toyota, use a Toyota motor.

i fully understand!! and trust me there is nothing i want moore than a 2j in it, specialy after owning a 97 supra :cry: . 2j is the way to go! but right now with this slow economy i dought that i can afford a 2j thats the hole reason why i sold my supra everything for a 2j is super expensive and on the other hand the v8 is cheap and you can almost find parts at walmart hehe :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:52 am 

I got a better idea!....Post pics of the car haha. Like tot see another fellow 2nd gen celica.

1971 celica....rusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:32 am 

if you are looking to do a v8 swap, think about the rear end too. you are going to pop that 6.7" diff. Cheap is a relative term. you will probably pay a lot for it later. V8 swap sounds easy but the fab work to make it fit is a bitch. Headers dont even fit...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:14 am 

robakun wrote:
if you are looking to do a v8 swap, think about the rear end too. you are going to pop that 6.7" diff. Cheap is a relative term. you will probably pay a lot for it later. V8 swap sounds easy but the fab work to make it fit is a bitch. Headers dont even fit...

really!? how do you know about the headers? what about the first gen celicas are their engine bay bigger?

im worried about the headers/fab dont get me wrong but what other option do i have?
and as far is the rear end il think about it afther the motor is in as in right now i got figure out how to do thi swap

Post subject: here is a few pics
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:07 pm 

this is it!! it been too cold for me to do anything to it not even a bath :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:10 pm 

She sure purrty. Hows the rust on it> Also with the v8 swap that damn cross member is going to be a pita. And with the old steering setup that oil sump will be in the way. I think the black celica with the v8 in it he did a lot of fab work. so if you think your up to that kind of task the give it a try.
Al up to you.

1971 celica....rusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:16 pm 

well after seeing that super sexy corolla with the 1uz, i have to tell you guys >>
im going for it! i think a 1uz would be the coolest thing for the celica
with that said im going to start soon its nice out (no garage :cry:)
also im going to be selling a lot off the car. like the front seats! and alot of the interior its in poor condition but i grather give it to someone that would use it that to trash it
this is my plan
alot of the interior is going out the 22r is going out and will be for sale 100k on it and you can hear it run
how much is it worth?
il keep posting as i know i wont need the parts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:27 pm 

pancho y onions wrote:
She sure purrty. Hows the rust on it> Also with the v8 swap that damn cross member is going to be a pita. And with the old steering setup that oil sump will be in the way. I think the black celica with the v8 in it he did a lot of fab work. so if you think your up to that kind of task the give it a try.
Al up to you.

yes!! and it scares the hell out of me! but this guy seem like he did everything the hard way, cause first he used a rover v8. from what i heard there kind of bulki

and in my case im going to use a 1uz with a front sub pump witch should clear the rack and pinion i should be ok but you dont know til you start

as for the rust it only has a few spots. its in really good shape for being a st louis car it was parked for the last 7-8 years in a warehouse

i only paid 500 for it so its totaly worth messing with
im pretty exited about the swap!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:20 pm 

Sounds great. if the the sump is in front youll have the probelems with the cross member. the 22r is a mid sump. Unless the 1u is shorter than the 22r.

1971 celica....rusty

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next