#
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:10 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Toyota TE72 front brake pad/rotor install (LULWTFBBQ)
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:50 pm 

A few nights ago my rear brakes on my 1981 Toyota Corolla started schreeching pretty bad. So the following day after inspecting everything I ordered new rear drums, new rear shoes, new rear wheel cylinders and also new front disc rotors and new front pads.

Today the rears went together fine, all seems well back there. But up front Im having some issues.

To get the rotor off, I had to pull the caliper off and then remove the hub/rotor from the spindle. Then I could use an impact gun to get the 4 bolts holding the hub to the rotor off and install on the new rotor.

I then installed the new rotor/hub onto the spindle the way it had came off. After tightening down the bearing, installing the cotter pin and cap, the rotor spun freely on the spindle.

Now on these calipers, to get the pads off you have to pull two 17mm bolts out and then the caliper comes apart to be two separate pieces.

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Detail ... 0+2070008#

You can kinda see what I mean from that picture.

So I pulled the calipers apart, removed the springs and took out the old pads. I stuck on the new pads with the springs and then went to "sandwich" the rotor and bring the two parts of the caliper together by tightening the two 17mm bolts.

Keep in mind I had already completely compressed the caliper using a C-clamp and one of the old pads. I had all the clearance the caliper was going to give me.

So I tightened up the 17mm bolts and the caliper came together as one piece. The rotor spun freely between the two pads lightly scraping like it should. This was the drivers side.

I repeated the same exact process on the passenger side only to find that when I completely tightened up the 17mm bolts, the rotor was "sandwiched" too tightly and the rotor would not spin freely. It has spun freely before I installed the caliper but once I tightened up the new brake pads on there, it was pinched.

This was Goddamn confusing because once side was stuck and one side spun like it should and I did the same process on each side.

So we tried bleeding it to see if we could free up some clearance. Nope.

Actually after bleeding all 4 corners, now the passenger side AND the drivers side front calipers were pinching the rotor so hard it would spin freely. I cant get either of them to spin even with a wheel on.

I try to introduce a little air into the system and let a little fluid out. Nope.

We bleed and bleed and bleed it. Nope.

I remove it all again, pull the rotor off the spindle and re-seat everything. Same bullshit. Stuck.

At this point, Im fucking tired and fucking confused. Ive never had problems like this with disc brakes. It seems like either the NEW rotors or the NEW pads are too damn thick for this to work. Ive been online checking part numbers to make sure I got the right shit and all is fine. So WTF!??!?!

Anyone, ANYONE AT ALL, help me out so I can get my daily back on the road. I cant figure this shit out for the life off me and its really embarrassing.

I tried to explain the situation the best I could...If I was unclear it some parts, call me out.

Thanks...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:05 am 
JNC Enthusiast

pads are thicker than the original ones?

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:55 am 

Yeah the new pads are alot thicker than the worn down ones that were on there. I dont know why these would be thicker than whats meant for it since they are what NAPA offers for the 81 Corolla....It seems like either the pad or the rotor is too thick. Cause it fits so damn right....Nothings moving.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:51 pm 

Okay so I drove it a little bit ago. I had to readjust the rear shoes to meet up with the drums the way they should. But even with new shoes and drums Im getting a grinding sound thats pretty loud from the rear end. Sounds like the driver side...The car was making this sound early on in the day that it started schreeching.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:59 am 
JNC Enthusiast

what i mean is maybe the pads were thicker than the original pads were when they were new. or, your disc is thicker for some reasen.

1970 C30 Laurel
1972 240Z
1973 610 Wagon
1977 260Z
1995 Micra
1999 200SX

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:21 pm 
Administrator

Have you gauged the thickness of the old and new rotors?

That Napa link doesn't work, btw. Use the IMG tags for images if you can.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]