#
It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:24 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Water leak hatchback
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:14 pm 

Hi

I'm trying to restore my 77 celica hatchback. The car is in really good condition, however, rain is beginning to seep into my car. I have a wash bucket in the trunk, and every now and than it would mysteriously fill up with water. This lead to the deduction that rain water is probably leaking into my car.
I don't know if the rubber seals around the car are worn or if I hae to put some kind of other seal. If anyone knows of a solution please let me know

Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:56 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I haven't tried it yet, but the hatch seal from the 82-85 supra swaps down to the 78-81 and forward to the 86-91 supras. It might work for you. I know you can occasionally find the hatch seals over on 1stgencelica.com It might also be the seal around the rear hatch glass. Those tend to dry and shrink faster than the hatchseals. How about some pics of your car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:04 pm 

I don't know if its relevant to your car, but I once owned a 2nd gen integra that did the same thing, The seals where sealing properly, I could not figure out what was wrong, come to find out it was the tail light seals that where bad, I couldn't believe that tail lights could allow that much rain in the car, but it was so much that when I hit my brakes water would pour over the back seat!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:39 pm 

Hey

Thanks for the help. I'm a little confused what do you by mean swap down or foward up? Does it mean that the seal for those models will work for my car?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:40 am 

Before you get too excited about finding a seal, pull the old one of carefully and check that the lip in sits on hasn't rusted through. That may well be the source of your leak.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:48 am 

This is my first project car so please excuse my sillyness.
By pulling out the seals will i be able to put it back into place? A couple of other tips I got was to water down my car and check where the water is leaking through. I am not technically sure if thats a good idea, but it does sound fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 4:03 pm 

Yes, basically the seal just presses on. Remove it gently at first until you get the idea of how it fits, then you will have the idea. Putting it back on is simply a matter of pushing it back on.

These sorts of hatches notoriously rust away on this lip which allows water in.

If so, only option can be welding or replacement if you can find a better one.

New seals are almost impossible to find, but you could try Toyhead in the US.

http://www.toyheadauto.com/

They have a good reputation amongst the Celica guys here in Australia. Many get their seals from him. Something about the genuine seals having a lip to retain the headlining, which apparently Toyhead stock.

BUT, if the lip is rusted away, the seal won't fix your leak.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]