#
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 9   [ 163 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:14 pm 

Lukas wrote:
American cars in Russia, especially in the earlier days, were almost not possible, so I doubt it´s a Chrysler or some other US-car.

Russia has a long tradition in importing used cars from Japan, so it´s more than possible this car got imported from Japan many years ago. The possibiliy of being a Toyota AA is very high!

LOL

Actually, an American car would be a much more common find in Russia if we speak about autos produced in 1940s or even 1950-60s

"Tradition" of importing JDM second-hands started in the late 1970s (as a rare exception) and became common in the late 1980s only.

So I doubt that would be the case for the discussed car.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:51 pm 
Administrator

For reference, the 1943 Toyota (Toyoda) Model AC.

For more reference, some Toyota AA sheetmetal from the Toyota museum in Nagoya. These are likely replica body parts, but if the Russian car has the same X patterns on the firewall it could be a clue.

To me, the fact that hood and grille are different than the AA isn't much of a big deal. The entire hood could be from another car. The "hard lines" of the windows and especially the 3 accent lines on the front sure look like an AA or AC to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:28 pm 
Administrator

Here's another photo of an AA. The rear window appears to be a different shape than the Russian car....

Larger version of the pic here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dcdomain/2 ... 0/sizes/o/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 9:55 pm 
JNC Fanatic

To me, that looks like the same exact back window, just taken from different angles.

I'm going to guess the hood and grille are off something totally different as well, Grille doesn't match the car at all, no thoughts on the hood.

I do wonder why, whatever it is, they hacked the back end off...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:02 pm 
JNC Fanatic

Perhaps I need a little history lesson on the AA. I'm reading that Toyota couldn't find a single one left in existence and built a replica.

If that is the case, then the black car's details may not be 100% accurate anyways.

And if that is the case... are the AB Phaetons I've seen pictures of real or no? And are all the AAs I've seen pictures of mere replicas? Is that blue AC legit or is it a replica too?

Perhaps the split windscreen is a sign that maybe it's an AC?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:27 am 

I think that´s enough said, no doubt that it´s a real AA or maybe an AB or AC???

Does Toyota already know about this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:46 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I haven't weighed yet, because I really know nothing about the Toyota AA. From that perspective, I think it is an A series. The three lines that have already been pointed out are a good clue. The one point that had me doubting was the chrome side trim. It is straight on the car in question, but on the A series it dipped in the back to follow the trunk line. After carefully looking at the pics, you can see that in fact the side chrome and body line dips in the back to follow the trunk line. The side chrome on there is most likely an add-on from a later date. The split rear window screams AC to me. In the picture of the AC from the Toyota museum, you can just make out the fact that the rear window is split. The rear passenger's window on the driver's side being split like it is makes me think that either it is a replacement for a long broken OEM window or might it be an AB? I don't know if the ABs had solid windows like that which is shown in the pictures of the AA and the AC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:46 am 

Hopefully, Toyota guys read our forum regularly:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:14 am 
JNC Fanatic

OkieRA29 wrote:
I haven't weighed yet, because I really know nothing about the Toyota AA. From that perspective, I think it is an A series. The three lines that have already been pointed out are a good clue. The one point that had me doubting was the chrome side trim. It is straight on the car in question, but on the A series it dipped in the back to follow the trunk line. After carefully looking at the pics, you can see that in fact the side chrome and body line dips in the back to follow the trunk line. The side chrome on there is most likely an add-on from a later date. The split rear window screams AC to me. In the picture of the AC from the Toyota museum, you can just make out the fact that the rear window is split. The rear passenger's window on the driver's side being split like it is makes me think that either it is a replacement for a long broken OEM window or might it be an AB? I don't know if the ABs had solid windows like that which is shown in the pictures of the AA and the AC.

From what I can figure out, the AB's are the roadsters, so we can figure this isn't one of them (unless I'm wrong on that assumption, someone tell me).

The chrome trim could be irrelevant for a variety of reasons. When the AA replicas were built, they didn't have all the plans for them. There's a good chance, IMO, that during a production of the A series that lasted through ten years of nearly handbuilt cars, they probably offered different trim on the side of it, and perhaps that is no longer well documented.

I am also thinking you're probably correct about the split rear door windows being later replacements.

And sadly I doubt that anyone big at Toyota reads our forum. :( Nitzer, pose women all over it and send them the pictures! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:14 am 

I read the replica in Toyota Museum was built from incomplete blueprints, so some guesswork may have taken place. The replica maybe not be an exact replica of the original AA :wink:

Images of AA don't show rear doors with quarterlights.. and the wiper is top mounted..

The AA was heavily based on the Airflow.. no wonder they look very similar. Chassis and electrical copied from Ford. What Ford?

Source - Wikipedia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:17 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Lukas wrote:

I'm working on it. Trying to find the correct contact in Japan. Have to remember these things take time. Just because we get excited doesn't mean they will. Hang tight and be patient.

:tu: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:26 am 

Lukas wrote:
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/8871/toyotaaa01.jpg

http://img413.imageshack.us/img413/8287/20201.jpg

I think that´s enough said, no doubt that it´s a real AA or maybe an AB or AC???

Judging by that top one, it looks to me the windshield is WAY smaller on the supposed russian AA car. Could be just the angle? But it looks a lot smaller....

Edit: Inspected further and the roof looks way different too...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:04 pm 

Would be interesting how much different windscreens were fitted to this car in the last ~ 70 years. Maybe they took what was available, so sometimes it had a bigger one, sometimes a smaller?

Edit: Or could it be an AC? It has a smaller screen:

This would be even more interesting, wikipedia says Toyota produced only 115 Toyota AC ever. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:34 am 

another one?
http://forums.drom.ru/1079890864-post301.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:45 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Interesting... much more complete car. I agree there is a LOT that leads us to believe it might be a Toyoda, but one odd thing on this 'new' car is the trunk/boot. According to the reproduced vehicles and all the old photos I've seen, to the best of my knowledge the AA or AC didn't come with a boot. A custom add on perhaps?

Where is this one from and how old or recent is the photo?

I'm working on getting in contact in Japan and have made some advances, so hang tight. :tu:

For those that were asking, here is some background information on the AA and AC and a few other A Models...

Model AA - There were reportedly 1,404 Model AA units built and these cars were used as taxis and government vehicles.

The AA at the TAM is a reproduction, because Toyota could not find a real AA.

At World War 2 the Japanese army needed more steel for tanks, airplanes and ships. Imported steel was not available in Japan during WW2, so the Japanese army collected any steel products (watches, toys, spoon & fork, autos), to make new steel sheets for military use. It has been assumed that all AA were scraped for military weapons.

Model AC - only 115 AC were built. The AC at the Toyota Automobile Museum is also a reproduction. No known original AC exist today.

Model AB Phaeton - 353 cars were built. These cars were specifically built for military use. There is only one AB.

I've also wondered about other early Toyota like the AE, BB, and BC - did any survive? Or do we only have old photos to know them by? My sources in Japan tell me that no confirmed AE, BB, and BC exist today. However there are rumors that Toyota may have some AC and AE.

Last edited by toyotageek on Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:49 am 

Nitzer wrote:

WoW! Looks very similar to AA or AC but still the windscreen is too small and wipers in the wrong position..

The AA had only one wiper, on the driver's side. Maybe the screen was replaced with a smaller one to accommodate two wiper blades at the bottom when being converted to LHD?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:21 am 
JNC Fanatic

Just totally throwing this out there- But knowing the russians, is there any chance perhaps that they somehow ended up with the Toyota tooling after WWII and build their own? Kinda far-fetched, but quite frankly, they had tooling for German and American cars after the war (Opels and Packards, at least), so perhaps they got some Japanese tooling as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:32 am 

I thought that very same thing. But you would think the guy's on that Russian board would say "oh man that's just an old Gaz...", or something like that.

FWIW, If you ever make it to Russia you'll see heeps of Fiat 124's running around. They sold as Lada's in Canada too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:18 pm 

those cars don't resemble anything assembled officially in Russia... I mean USSR, of course!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:25 pm 

I'm trying to contact with the guy who posted those pictures on MORE details.

Actually, I can not guarantee 100% the whole story is not a hoax, but that guy claims he's dead serious.

The second car is reported to be a "recent find in the Russian Far East"

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 9   [ 163 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next