#
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:40 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Supra MKII, need guidance quick before they scrap her!
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:43 pm 

I just found a beautiful silver 85-86 MKII with absolutely no rust and the cleanest body ever.....but she has a blown motor & is sitting in our local junkyard. I asked them what they where going to do with it, & they said they where going to scrap it out because the only motor they found cost $2500 (they actually bought the car to repair it). Heres where I need you pros to come in, how much could I expect to purchase one of these motors for? How much should I expect to pay for this car? And finally, Ive heard the 7mge swaps easy into this car, is that true?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 3:21 pm 

ive been looking for a clean mk2 for a while.. save it and put a 7mgte in it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:54 pm 

You would want to pay as little as possible but A clean solid body MKII in my opinion could be worth as much as 1G (clean int. and ext.) and as far as engines the 5mge is a very nice engine but I would consider swapping a stock 7mgte as it is a fairly easy swap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:30 pm 

You can find 5mge's everywhere it seems. Wrecked 85-88 Cressidas would be what you should look for to pull the motor out of. I got a 5M and trans for $200, the deals are out there just have to find them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:36 pm 

7M-GTEs are good engines, as are 5M-GEs, but 7M-GEs seem to be even more common, I'd go with that engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:03 am 
Try to get them to sell it to you with the blown motor, no point in paying them to fix something you may want to change.

I personally wouldn't spend the time or effort to swap in anything but a JZ series motor, but that's just me. A cleaned up 5m with a header and cams is a neat powerplant, though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:31 pm 

well i called them back and they want $800 for the car which seems a little steep for me considering they are just going to scrap it. I want to go back and get some pics of the car and check the interior out more. I didn't even think to see if it was standard or automatic, automatic would be a deal breaker for me. As it sits right now, I would need them to come down in price more before I would consider buying it from them (shes worth it, but not much funds are available)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:58 pm 

Zach90Turbo wrote:
Try to get them to sell it to you with the blown motor, no point in paying them to fix something you may want to change.

I personally wouldn't spend the time or effort to swap in anything but a JZ series motor, but that's just me. A cleaned up 5m with a header and cams is a neat powerplant, though.

thanks for the suggestion, after reading your thoughts I priced the 1JZGTE and it seems to go for the same price as a 7mgte which got me thinking why not? After googling mkII supra 1JZGTE swap with no hits I am wondering how easy this swap would be. I also have to take into consideration if the 1JZGTE will bolt up to the stock mkII transmission

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:21 am 

The JZ series will not work with a W series trans as far as I know or alot more 4x4's would be running 2JZ's instead of the 5M and 7M swaps. I would look into a 2JZ swap over the 1JZ just because of ease of getting replacement parts. But I'd pay no more than $500 for the car. They will probably get about $300-$400 for the scrap metal. And unless your competent in wiring or have the money to pay someone to do the custom wiring for a swap I'd just put another 5M in it for now.

Edit: From what i seen in another thread the W series may work but I'm not sure what's needed for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:41 am 
JNC Enthusiast

If the interior is good and there are no rust issues, 800 is not bad. I picked my MkII up for 600$ It is a runner with a good tag and title, but no interior and a bunch of other issues. Easiest swap is a good 5M. 7MGTE will be between 1-3K depending on what you get with the engine and what you do with the engine. 7MGE swap makes no sense, not when 7MGTEs cost only a couple hundred more. JZ swap expenses mainly rely on where you get the engine from, but figure 2-5K. All the swaps besides the 5M will require at least a tranny swap as well. For rust issues look at the usual places, hatch, quarters, rockers etc. Also if possible, pull the back seat and carpet. Sometimes the MkII rusts out where the rear wheel well meets the chassis floor. This is where the sunroof drains to and sometimes they get clogged and back up. I have a 7M sitting around with a new headgasket(pretty much a requirement) and have not put it in my MkII just because I know that a GTE swap will only cost a couple hundred more. Got everything for that swap except for the GTE block. Even if it turns out that it is auto, as long as you are dropping in a new engine. A new tranny will not add that much work to the project. You can even run it off the auto ECU with some minor mods. Pedals can come from any celica or supra of the same gen. Same with clutch cylinders and such. Only thing on the interiors of these that are made of un-obtainium are the dash vents. Dashes can be found, but they can be expensive depending on the color.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:22 pm 

ok, so i went back down to look at her today, they told me $500, problem is I have limited funds so I have to consider the money for the engine (oh yah it is standard tranny) so if any of you on here have a cheap motor you could spare please let me know

there is some rust on her and she has 180k miles, took these photos today

what do you guys think???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:56 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Get yourself over to celicasupra.com and ask some questions over there too. The side trim is expensive to replace, but not impossible. Rust, if it is mostly surface rust than you are okay. Looks like you are in a wet climate. Check the rust carefully, rockers, hatch, beneath the rear seats where the sunroof drains to. Like I said earlier, 5Ms are simple, easy and cheap to come by. You could easily have a running Supra for under a grand. I say go for it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:52 pm 
Administrator

OkieRA29 wrote:
Get yourself over to celicasupra.com and ask some questions over there too. The side trim is expensive to replace, but not impossible. Rust, if it is mostly surface rust than you are okay. Looks like you are in a wet climate. Check the rust carefully, rockers, hatch, beneath the rear seats where the sunroof drains to. Like I said earlier, 5Ms are simple, easy and cheap to come by. You could easily have a running Supra for under a grand. I say go for it.

Ditto on everything he said :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:34 pm 

ihateu3 wrote:
ok, so i went back down to look at her today, they told me $500, problem is I have limited funds so I have to consider the money for the engine (oh yah it is standard tranny) so if any of you on here have a cheap motor you could spare please let me know

If you can travel down here, or use someone like http://www.uship.com, there's a complete wrecked Cressida down here for $250 with a fantastic low mileage 5MGE in it. :tu:

That would get you a lot of spare parts too. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:55 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Hey, that is only 3 hours or so south of me... how low mileage we talking. That motor would give me 2 running supras for under a grand :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:36 pm 

OkieRA29 wrote:
Hey, that is only 3 hours or so south of me... how low mileage we talking. That motor would give me 2 running supras for under a grand :twisted:

70k?

viewtopic.php?t=7492

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:50 pm 
JNC Fanatic

datsunfreak wrote:
ihateu3 wrote:

If you can travel down here, or use someone like http://www.uship.com, there's a complete wrecked Cressida down here for $250 with a fantastic low mileage 5MGE in it. :tu:

That would get you a lot of spare parts too. 8)

Is that the wagon that was just wrecked? I know it has a blue interior. Do you know where it's at John?

81 TE75 Corolla SR5 Sport Coupe modified
Custom 93 Toyota minitruck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:40 pm 

ok, well I barely saved the car from scrapping, it was on its way to be scrapped but luckily there was more snow piled up around it than they wanted to deal with, so they where waiting for the snow to melt to scrap her

Ok, well.... I finally bought the car! I got it for $400 and a free tow home, i really hope its worth it, it seems really clean aside of a little rust. The place where the spare tire goes has no rust at all.

I am probably going to start annoying you guys now. The engine is blown and I need a new one, problem is finding one thats close, finding it cheap (I am on unemployment and have to budget with that) and changing the motor. I have no clue how to change a motor in a car, but I don't have a problem learning and hopefully you guys can kindly help me through this.

Well, enough talking, time for PICS!!!

I think this may be why the car has so little rust for being in ohio, I noticed this on the hatch window

when the snow melts outside I will push the car outside and take pics of the otherside, thats the side that has the missing molding and a little rust as seen in the prior pics. I know this car is not as cool as alot of yours on here, but I am very excited none the less as its probably the coolest car I will ever own!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:28 am 

do you guys think its in pretty good shape? I am new to restoring and think I got a good deal, but your input would let me know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:25 pm 

Well considering I'd pay about half of that for the seats, I'd say you got yourself quite a steal. Of course I can't see underneath the vehicle so I don't know if there are any rust issues, but that Rusty Jones sticker only sweetens the deal.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next