It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:13 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:24 am 

gaijinshogun wrote:
datsunfreak wrote:

Is it a 5M or 5MGE?

Sorry...speaking in generics. 5M-GE, used to be cheap and plentiful for a low mileage one in the U.S.

Care to answer a few questions then? 8)

1. Other than the intake manifold, what were the other clearance problems?

2. How did you fix the intake clearance problem?

3. What engine mounts did you use?

4. Are you running the OD trans? Does it have it's own ECU or is it just a simple electric OD?

5. Any photos of your swap?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:02 pm 

Hey guys! That's my car!! I spent most of the day with my cressida and fellow cressida guys! Sorry for the late reply, I don't visit this forum very often. so on to the questions...
I originally wanted to rebuild the boat anchor it only had 18k, but it was taken apart 37 years ago bhg, seized, and missing parts. It was impossible to find parts, so i started looking for a 4 or 5m (sohc), but i found out a friend of a friend of a friend had a brand new long block that was sitting in his garage, in the crate for x amount of years. he wanted next to nothing, so I had to pick it up! Plus, the 5mge performs way better than any older m motor, and it still looks pretty old school, so why not?
Other than the intake manifold, there were no other clearance issues. I used the original 2m mounts and oil pan. I was concerned that the original 2m oil pump wouldn't be enough to supply oil to the 5mge's hydraulic lash adjusters, so i modified a brand new 5mge pump to suit the 2m mid sump oil pan.
To keep things simple, i used the original 3spd auto tranny since it has less than 20k on it. its working fine btw! Although, OD would be nice, the 4.5 rear ratio is crazy...
I fixed the intake clearance problem by making a new forward facing intake manifold using the lower half of the original manifold with the injectors. Since the motor is brand new, I'm considering throwing in a turbo and backing it with a better auto tranny, hopefully it doesn't take away from the "old school" look.
Here's the build thread I posted earlier: viewtopic.php?t=5321&highlight=ms55

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:43 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

haha, I knew it! All your cars are super nice btw!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:57 pm 

theshaz wrote:
Other than the intake manifold, there were no other clearance issues. I used the original 2m mounts and oil pan. I was concerned that the original 2m oil pump wouldn't be enough to supply oil to the 5mge's hydraulic lash adjusters, so i modified a brand new 5mge pump to suit the 2m mid sump oil pan.

Why didn't you use the 5MGE oil pan?

Quote:
To keep things simple, i used the original 3spd auto tranny since it has less than 20k on it. its working fine btw! Although, OD would be nice, the 4.5 rear ratio is crazy...

Good to know. I was thinking of going the other way. MX63 OD auto in a Crown behind a 4M. The 4.5 gear was bothering me too... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:58 pm 

I aquired the 5mge as a long block, it didn't come with an oilpan, so i used the one off the 2m. bolted right up!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:43 am 

The Crown has a 7" diff in it and is pretty hard to find but if you look for an 80's Cressida wagon, they use the 7". Some of the wagons came with a 3.7 ratio so that would be "almost" a bolt on. The reason its almost is you have to modify the crown housing to add one long stud to mount the diff carrier into. just tap the housing and add a stud that is long enough and install. walla! I did this on my Crown with the V8 and the ratio is much more livable. Ofcourse I have an AT with OD on it too. just imagine 4.3 ratio with a chevy v8.... ah yes, the crown with AT tranny had 4.3 ratio. the manual ones came with 4.1 according to my info. JFYI :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:28 am 

The factory manual shows 3 different ratios, if i remember correctly they are 4,11, 4,375 and 4,8?, all the ones i have opened have been the 4,375 but those have been utility van rears. My turbodiesel rs56 has 4,375 and a 5-speed but its still feel a bit short, 3 something would be nice. Some of the newer trucks use a 7" front diff and summitracing has a pretty affordable diff for them, i wonder if it would fit the crown diff :?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 27 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2