It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:51 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 8   [ 148 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: 1973 Toyota Corona Mark II Coupe Hardtop
PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:51 pm 

I totally agree
Quote:
I think its long over due for an update :tu:

I assure you there are big changes happening at the moment and I will update as soon as I can. Don't want to ruin the surprise but keep checking back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:43 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Looking forward to the update!
Really like the lines of these pillarless coupes.
Considered finding myself a manual 2000 GSS in Japan for a while...

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno 1600GT Sprinter (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:25 pm 

Well here it is, been a long time over due for an update. I have removed the old and tired Toyota 6r engine with w40 transmission. I have been back and forth on motor swaps, as well as working out all the details of the swap. At this stage I am still in mock up stage as well as the fabrication stage. I had a bunch of choices on motors... but once I did some test fits there was only one real choice in the end. Its going to be very long work in progress with a lot of body modifications to make the engine fit. As well the body will need beefed up to be able to handle the extra power. Here is where we stand at this point in the build. Sorry ahead of time for the cell phone pictures.

Engine options

Power vs weight
As well as engine fitment was the big reason why I chose this motor. It will take a ton of exhaust fabrication as well as taking a page from Oracle's Mark II, I will have to convert to a Toyota Altezza steering rack and ditch the factory steering box because of exhast manifold fitment. It will be paired with a w58hd transmission. It will be a somewhat difficult swap because of the exhaust and steering but will be well worth it in the end. I will also be changing from the stock rear end to a narrowed ford explorer rear end, which will be a 5 lug rear end. So I will be using ms65 crown front hub to convert to a 5 lug as well. It is a direct swap for our front brakes.

I had to clearance the factory crossmember a little to get it to fit the oil pan on the 1uz

Pulled the cross member out to mock up motor mounts, and this is where we are right now in the build. Working on fabricating the mounts. Once the mounts are fabbed the motor and cross member will have one more test fit before it is final welded up and the body will start being stripped and seam welded up.

More updates to come

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:10 pm 

This is looking great! That will be such a fun car when it is complete. Are you keeping it automatic? have you started mounting the steering rack yet?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:22 pm 

Nope, not keeping it auto. As of right now it will be a w58 hd manual transmission. I haven't started mounting the rack yet. I am waiting for the rack to be shipped from Japan. I have the altezza crossmember from the beams motor that I will be removing mounts for the rack, and then using those to mount the rack on the mark ii crossmember

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:06 pm 

hi arron good choice there i wish one day i put a v8 on my coupe .were do you live. i cant wait to see how you are gonna put the steering rack i still didnt find a power steering box .i was gonna buy a whole car for the box but there was no reply .good luck

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:27 am 

Thanks Raypul, I am in Washington state in the U.S. now. It is going to be a very time consuming engine swap for sure. If you look for Oracle's Corona Mark II build he used a Lexus Is300 rack for his swap. I will be doing a very similar swap to mine. I will post up more pictures once I get it done for you guys to see exactly what has to happen with it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:12 am 

I have a mate here that is in the progress of doing exactly the same conversion. to his MX22.
Cheers Brett.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 8 of 8   [ 148 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8