#
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:08 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]
 Post subject: Rebuilt Transmission not Running Well, MX73
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:33 am 

So I got my car yesterday from my long time mechanic. He replaced my old tranmission with a "rebuilt transmission". When I started the car everything worked fine, as soon as I put the gear in drive and stepped on the gas the transmission lagged so bad!!

I stepped on the gas and it sounded like the transmission wanted to pull but there was no power at all. It's sluggish like a turtle but it eventually pulls slowly. All other gears work fine and don't slip and reverse has good power.

Is there anything I could check for myself that might be wrong?? Also the O/D button isn't functioning. Could it be that it is missing a bit oil? I couldn't check since I got it late at night but any suggestions would help!! My mechanic said he doesn't want to deal with it so he's returning all my money back...kind of suspicious to me.

:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:44 pm 

being a mechanic i would never return ALL my money thats just silly lol. Sounds like you got a shit tranny brewski. Since you got all your money back bring it to someone else who is certified to work on trannies and get your ride put back on track. He prolly screwed up and new he did so he threw all the money back at you to keep you happy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:52 pm 

yeah im guessing thats what he did....found out he couldnt repair it further so he said forget it....hopefully others can give me some ideas as to what might be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:39 pm 

sounds like the tranny is bad. Low oil would slip not pull sluggish. You'd have to rev the car like hell and then when the fluid built enough pressure it woudl bang into gear. If you want a reputable tranny shop to take it to. You can come out to American transmission here in Fontana. They rebuilt the tranny in my 72 Crown and it works like a charm. Otherwise you can pull one out of a wrecking yard and hope for the best. I'm pretty sure you have a cressida so that won't be a hard tranny to find.

Post subject: Re: Rebuilt Transmission not Running Well, MX73
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:18 am 
Administrator

tripleOGvip wrote:

I stepped on the gas and it sounded like the transmission wanted to pull but there was no power at all.

Are you sure it's the transmission and not the engine?

Post subject: Re: Rebuilt Transmission not Running Well, MX73
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:10 am 

ben wrote:
tripleOGvip wrote:

I stepped on the gas and it sounded like the transmission wanted to pull but there was no power at all.

Are you sure it's the transmission and not the engine?

I'm sure it's not the engine....All other gears pull fine....from L thru 3, except for when in Drive.

I read in another transmission forum that linkage might not be correct?? (They were talking about a domestic car though)

I checked the trans. oil levels and they were low....so I added more, feels a bit better but still lags on take off.

Thanks for the feedback guys :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:47 pm 

Check the torque converter? If your engine if fine and your transmission is good, that's the only thing between them that connects the two for power transfer.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 7 posts ]