#
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: My garage, KE15SL, KE25 (TE27) & AE86 GT
PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:04 pm 

Home with the dreaded swine flu (at least it seems like it) so good chance to sit on the web all day.

This is my first toy

Built to Levin GT spec with various engine and suspension upgrades. Nothing bodged, all factory, especially the wiring. Nothing radical, I like things to be as factory as possible, with modifications within period, if you know what I mean. At the moment is at the end of a slow rebuild, and really only needs the rear calipers rebuilt and the guards put back on.

Number two is a KE25 shell

Shot with DSC-W35 at 2009-06-15

Currently looks like this! Was to be my next project and I have been sourcing all the various bits to turn it into a 3TG TE27, again with everything factory. Main task recently has been roofing over the storage area. We never got TE2x's in Australia, so everything has to sourced from overseas.

Shot with hp PhotoSmart 320 at 2009-06-15

This is what is under the cover. The shell is very good with minimal rust in the usual battery area only.

However everything has been tossed up in the air as I recently acquired this, which will become my first priority once the AE86 gets out of the garage.:

Was a great surprise when this became available, and I have always wanted one after helping a mate who used to race one with a 4AGE. After extending my roof over it, plans for it include some fairly minor rust repair (mainly surface rust) and an engine rebuild. Had been laid up for a few years before it resurfaced. This car is well documented in this viewtopic.php?t=4627 thread.

One other slight possibility is that I have located another one owner KE25 2 speed auto nearby owned by an elderly lady that has always been garaged etc and is immaculate. She doesn't want to sell it yet, but by the time I am ready to do the TE27, it may have fallen into my clutches! Anyway, time will tell.

Why my love affair with Corolla's? This is me, many years ago.

AE86 Levin GT
KE15 Sprinter SL
TE27 Levin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:46 am 

You have some cool cars there - looking forward to the "after" photos :)

KE15 SL Sprinter - KE10 Corolla - TA22 Celica - KE35 Corolla Club Racer - AE71 Corolla

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:07 am 

Been quietly working away behind the scenes locating various parts, mainly for the KE15 at the moment. New brake stuff, suspension components and so on. Still looking for some correct carb kits, and planning an engine pulldown for a suspected cracked piston.

One thing I was super pleased about was my KE15 seats. Was unimpressed by the old style seats without headrests. So measured up the distance between the holes for what were presumably optional headrests (7 inches) and headed for pickapart. Found some black Mark 1 VW Golf seats with separate headrests and they are perfect. You can even adjust the angle they sit at, and most importantly they have plain vinyl on them and look the part.

Have finally finished sorting out the shed, sorting out parts for each car, and tidying up. Now need to get on with finishing the caliper rebuilds on the AE86, putting the drivers door and seats back in, front guards back on (one needs painting) and tightening everything up.

The I will start on the KE15. Today I actually attacked it and removed the towbar which required removing the rear bumper. Can't get over how good the boot is on this car, like new.

Still on the lookout for a Toyota badge for the center of the boot on the KE15 if anyone has one. Also believe it or not, an oval air filter element to suit the twin carb housing.

AE86 Levin GT
KE15 Sprinter SL
TE27 Levin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:07 am 

Hi Banpei! Yes I do get around a bit, but only frequent the classy forums.

Especially aeu86.org!

How's that for a gratuitous plug.

AE86 Levin GT
KE15 Sprinter SL
TE27 Levin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:42 am 

Well have finally got my stock AE86 rear calipers apart. With the kids and everything, I sort of get 10 mins here, 30 mins there to do stuff. I was a bit worried as there is all this talk that you need special tools to strip them down, and the reference about some special tool in the factory manual is rather vague.

Yes you need a tool to turn the piston, but they are readily available at any autopart shop. Seem to need some tool once you unscrew the piston, but in reality, they all come apart easily enough, and you just need some reasonably long internal circlip pliers to get at the circlip in the bottom.

The first one came out with a bit of a struggle since the only circlip pliers I had that were long and narrow enough to just reach were fairly buggered. The second caliper one I couldn't get at due to the orientation of the circlip lug holes.

So next day down to Repco where they had them on special at $12! Had the other circlip out in 10 secs. If you have the right tool for the job, goes so easy. The piston spindle is a bit of a prick to get out due to the O ring at the other end making it difficult to pull out. So just screw the piston back onto the spindle a bit and you have something to actually grip and pull. This didn't work for the second caliper, but by very gently levering under the lip either side of the piston with two flat drive screw drivers, it popped out easily.

Inside, the caliper was filthy, with barely any crappy dried out grease. I can't believe they were actually functioning. So now I need to get on with reassembling them! Then once this set is done, I will get on and rebuild a second set I have to go on the TE27.

AE86 Levin GT
KE15 Sprinter SL
TE27 Levin

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]