#
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:45 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]
 Post subject: Corona Mark II rear brake conversion
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:46 am 

Hello, I have a 73 Corona Mark II. I am still really new to all of this. This is my first old car and I am looking for information regarding the rear brakes. I know for a lot of the newer cars you can convert rear drum brakes to disc brakes. I am curious if the same is possible for these cars. I would like to know if any cars around this era had rear disc brakes and if there is any that are capable of being altered to fit. Thanks for any information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:36 am 

If the 73 corona mkII has the same size rear end as a same year Celica, then an AE86 GTS rear end will fit with some slight modification of the position of the mounts themselves.

Post subject: markII
PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:14 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

I converted my MarkII to 1980 Supra rare end. wasn't easy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:05 pm 

I have a few of these Mk2s at home.

One of them I slotted in a Hilux RN40 diff and converted it to discs - used 307mm JZA80 rotors and Celica ST205 rear calipers.

With another, I just used an MS112 disc brake rear end - had to cut off the Crown mounts, had the Corona Mk2 mounts welded on and bolted the whole lot in. Tailshaft just bolted straight up. This diff is a little wider
(40mm - 20mm per side) than the Mk2 one so if you have alloy wheels and guard clearance is already critical, then after this conversion they will rub for sure.

I should highlight that boththe above conversions are 5 stud...you can use MS65 front hubs and discs to convert the front to 5 stud.

If you're not interested in converting to 5 stud, then here in Aus we also got a Corona model ST141 - some of these came out with rear disc brakes. I'm led to believe that with minimal work these can be made to fit.

Post subject: Help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:00 am 

Ok... so I have been unable to find any of the mentioned cars above for a reasonable price. Over here in Japan all of those cars seem to be pretty expensive around 4000 to 8000 and don't seem to have any around that have been wrecked. I really want to get the parts to do the swap. Is there any other cars that will work? Thanks for any help you can provide

Post subject: Re: Help
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:55 am 

theunstated wrote:
Ok... so I have been unable to find any of the mentioned cars above for a reasonable price. Over here in Japan all of those cars seem to be pretty expensive around 4000 to 8000 and don't seem to have any around that have been wrecked. I really want to get the parts to do the swap. Is there any other cars that will work? Thanks for any help you can provide

This car is hard to find?

If you want to fit a F or G type axle (Hilux/HiAce/etc.), I can tell you an easy way to retrofit disc brakes to that axle.

Post subject: Celica Supra
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:12 pm 

That's a celica supra correct? Over here it is a Celica XX. It seems that there are even less of those over here than the other cars listed above. They run from around 6000 - 8000 depending on condition which is a little more than I want to spend on just a rear axle/diff/brakes. As far as the hilux or the hiAce the trucks seem to be way out of price range 8000 - 15000 for the newer ones. Still looking at the HiAce for options. Any others?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:34 pm 

Yes, that is a Celica XX...see the fender mirrors, bumpers, grill, and front license plate? :lol:

Anything with a 7.5 we can make happen. Maybe better to get a housing modded in OZ and get it shipped to you...

Post subject: thanks
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:45 pm 

I am kinda new to all of this, So be patient please. Get a housing modded in OZ? I assume that is the diff but what is OZ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 9:55 pm 

OZ = Australia

It may be cheaper for you to buy a AE86 or MA45/46 axle in Australia, have it modded to fit your car, and shipped to JP.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:26 pm 
You have to make a decision before you continue.
-It will not be cost effective to find the used parts in Japan. It will not happen. It is possible to buy after market kits, but parts and maintaining them for years to come will pose an issue.

- Do you speak Japanese, and have you ventured into any of the local Toyota part stores. I know of one near Machida City, and another in Ebina relatively close to Tokyo. These “stores” for lack of a better term are staffed by uniformed employees (part vendors) who can locate any known stocked item originally issued in any Toyota vehicle since 1965. They will open the ‘microfiche vaults if necessary. They can examine what is available for your exact year and model, and it could make the search for a brake conversion a moot point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:22 am 
Administrator

Where are these shops located? I may need to pay them a visit.

Think they can help us ID the mystery Russian car?

viewtopic.php?t=7421

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:47 am 

Thanks Android for the response. I do not speak Japanese and don't have anyone that I know who does, but I have tried to venture into some of the Toyota shops around the Fussa but haven't had much luck at all. I think most of it is the language barrier plus being unable to find many places. Where are those places located because I would really like go to those places and see what I can get including but not limited to the stuff to do the brakes. Thanks a lot everyone for the replies they are helping

Aaron

P.S. Android the car you saw on Yokota is my car. Just thought I would let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:57 pm 
These are only recommendations based on my experiences in Japan. In short, I have rebuilt three cars and two motorcycles….brand not important. What is important, is prioritizing, and accurately surmising what you are up against, and current resources available. Like most car forums, the clientele may have more recourse than you have, and a cheaper source of parts and superior skills. There is also the element of time. Use it wisely.

-Do you need rear disc brakes?
-What is the weakest area of the car
-Final vision of vehicle. Stock revitalization or custom?

My recommendations based on a cursory view of this specific vehicle.

-Insure all mechanics are complete and in good condition.
-Keep rear drums.
-Locate and correctly inhibit all rust.
-“Google” stateside sources for compatible parts.
-Ensure suspension components are in good working order.
-Source replacements now for suspension, brakes, clutch, HVAC, cabin electrics, charging system.
-The current source you are using may be available to cross-locate some items.
-To improve handling (No drifting) source aftermarket.
-Measure & research.
-Trial and error is good.
-Finally, DO NOT RUSH OR BECOME FRUSTRATED.

I will get an actual location you can follow and some phone numbers for past Toyota Tech locations mentioned.

A solid version of this vehicle with a few custom touches will make the car a good value. Think of it as an investment.

Post subject: Re: Corona Mark II rear brake conversion
PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:34 pm 

theunstated wrote:
Hello, I have a 73 Corona Mark II. I am still really new to all of this. This is my first old car and I am looking for information regarding the rear brakes. I know for a lot of the newer cars you can convert rear drum brakes to disc brakes. I am curious if the same is possible for these cars. I would like to know if any cars around this era had rear disc brakes and if there is any that are capable of being altered to fit. Thanks for any information.

Corona Mark 2 has similar rear to RT104.

The AVANTI rear DISC brakes fit perfectly, you just need to get a spacer made up and a few other items.

it has all been documented on the TOYMODS Australian website three years ago

Post subject: Still looking for the swap information
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:17 am 

Thanks for the information RT104GT. What other items are needed for that swap? Do you have the link for the TOYMODS write up?

Android any information on those shops? Thanks

Aaron

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:08 am 

@aaron
any luck with the conversion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:31 am 

@Ansargahani
I have been talking to a guy on Toymods.net about it. There is a conversion that can be purchased from a car that they have in Australia. I am weighing the rear disc options as well as upgrades for the front as well. I am currently inquiring about it. You interested in the swap as well? Haven't heard anything from User: Android. I was hoping for information about the other shops he was speaking of as well

@Android
Let me know if you have any of that information

Regards
Aaron

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 18 posts ]