#
It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:10 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: 1UZ + W58 in MX73
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:29 pm 

Helloooo. last year I picked up a cleanish MX73 with a MKIII W58 already installed. The 5M is on it's way out, and I'm wanting to go the 1UZ route. (dat V8 noise)

Can anyone tell me the best-err cheapest way to mate the 1UZ and W58? I've seen a few adapters and kits out there but the pricing is all over the place. The lexus DIYs look like they're specifically for MK4/SC W58's, and the MX/JZX topics I can find about it are a hot mess.

At the moment I think Xcessive Manufacturing has the best deal on a conversion, here: http://www.xcessivemanufacturing.com/ONLINESTORE.html?cid=50&step=2

I'm assuming I'd buy:
Adapter plate ($240)
1UZ specific release bearing mount ($185)
Their flywheel modification service ($96)
1UZ bell housing ($???)
3SGTE flywheel and clutch kit ($???)
($521 + cost of flywheel, clutch, bell housing, and shipping)

Is this the status quo way to make it work? Does that cover it if I already have a W58 running in the car? Is the flywheel machine work something I should leave to them?

Thanks for any help.

Post subject: Re: 1UZ + W58 in MX73
PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:56 pm 

are there any conflicts with he steering column hitting the block or header as on the 1st and 2nd gens?

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:49 pm 

r2d2michael wrote:
are there any conflicts with he steering column hitting the block or header as on the 1st and 2nd gens?

Yes, but I've heard any of the cheapy ebay tubular headers will resolve the contact issue. No idea if it's true or not. Can always go with just flanges and custom, too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:39 am 

True. A friend is doing it to a mx63 and the steering hit the block so I new column is needed.

OnlineProfile  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:16 pm 

hahaha.

there are a few people out there that have done or are doing this swap. why don't you call up rich at XM and ask him what he recommends if you've decided to buy from him?

toyotav8 makes swap stuff. daft innovations does the same. they probably have some info for you as well.

there are 2 types of exhaust manifolds available in the US for the 1uz, the LS400 style runners hug the block and the flange on the driver side is short compared to the SC manifolds. egay manifolds have longer runners and weren't designed with your particular application in mind, so you will probably run into clearance issues. the upside is there's lots of material and they're cheap so you can hack and weld them to fit whatever you want.

they also make DIY header kits that come with your flanges and multiple pre-bent pipe sections if you have the ability to make your own or you know someone who does.

your driver side valve cover will not clear your brake booster. you are going to have to figure that one out.

what flavor of 1uz will you be using?

its not going to be as easy as spending the money then putting the parts together lego-style.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:23 am 

I plan on yanking an early 1U from an LS400. Hopefully I will have the patience to wait for a 1/2 price day at the local pick n pull, and get out with all of the accessories and bell housing in one trip. I had not heard of the brake booster clearance issue when using purpose made MX7/1UZ motor mounts. Really the clearance issues are not my biggest concern. Getting all the hardware in line to mate a MKIII W58 and the 1UZ is what I'm worried about right now.

The ToyotaV8 kit is more inclusive, and says that their flywheel is better than modifying a 3SGTE one. It's $800 and still needs a clutch and bell housing. Daft is reselling this kit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:23 am 

i havent even started thinking about my transmission options yet, i was just going to stay auto for the time being while i sorted that out. pedals for an x3 are harder to come by, and i want to drive it sooner rather than later. but when i get my swap sorted the toyotav8 kit is how i want to go. IF i use a w58... they make adapters to almost every kind of trans out there including Nissan 5 and 6 speeds, t5s, t56s, etc...

the XM mounts are what my friend is using in his x7. 1uz bolted to a mkiii or mkii w58, can't remember which but the big difference is in shifter location. he had to find a different brake booster due to clearance issues. his engine is from an SC converted to front sump, or he somehow managed to get stuck with the SC manifolds that make clearance a bitch, especially around the steering shaft. he is going to borrow my LS manifolds to see if they're any better for this specific application, but no promises. best bet is custom manifold.

there are other adapters out there, but toyotav8 or xm are your best bets.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:24 pm 

I think I am in a unique situation of already having a running W58 MX7! Twice before I've swapped an auto chassis to 5spd, (MKIII and an S14) so my head would explode it I swapped out the W58 for the 1U automatic, haha. Any other trans, really. I paid a premium to get an already-swapped car. Here's to hoping it all works on in the end. Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:04 am 

post pics of your progress. always good to see another non-M x chassis rolling around.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]