#
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 3:11 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: My 1970 Toyota Corona Mark II HT
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:09 am 

So, some of you may have seen my previous thread about pricetag on this car.
Now its finally mine!
This is problably the only 1970 Corona in Sweden according to the previuos owner, an old lady who bought this back in 1976.
The find:
In june i was taking a walk with my dad in his neighborhood, suddenly I saw a roofline I recognized behind a hedge, I took a couple of quick steps closer to the driveway and my jaw dropped to the ground.
What an awesome little car!!!
I took a picture of it and then went home. But this car haunted my thoughts the rest of the day and the next day I went back and dropped a note in their mailbox saying I was interested if it was for sale. Already the next day I got an answer from the lady.
Apperantly it had been in her and her husbands garage as long as they have had it, but pretty much standing still for the last 10 years, now they installed a new garage door and the toyota had to move out for a couple of days. She told me that she have had thoughts about selling it for some years, but didnt really know how(?!), so if I was really interested I could buy it. And so I did!

Future plans includes some nice old school japanese wheels, maybe 14 inch? A couple of inch drop and sportier fender mirrors, problably celica mirrors.
But first I need to fix the boring stuff; brakes and rubber bushing for the cardan shaft bearing.

Post subject: Re: My 1970 Toyota Corona Mark II HT
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:47 pm 

What an absolute beauty!

Sometimes things are just meant to be.

AE86 Levin GT
KE15 Sprinter SL
TE27 Levin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:28 pm 

Honestly that looks perfect as is mate, and if it is the only one in the country you want to keep it as original as possible; the way the JNC marques are heading now these rare little models are quite collectable. Nice find, if you need parts give this group a go -

https://m.facebook.com/groups/321578667982721

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:26 am 

Thanks guys! That Facebook gruop was a nice tip, its really hard finding stuff for this, and its not cheap. Just paid over 400 bucks for new rotors, pads, shoes and wheel cylinders..
I wont do any big modifications to it, everything will be possible to turn back to original.
And it isnt really original now either, the color is from Opel and rust were fixed in the 80s with Volvo Amazon metal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:08 am 

Good stuff, yeah most of the mechanicals can be sourced, it's the bodywork that's the trick, at least yours didn't cop the body filler treatment like mine.

Toymods is a great resource as well, but it's still the thing of that there are so few of these there aren't that many examples of restoration or modification to use for reference - it's a bit of a make it up as you go along thing sometimes. Mine has a hit to the gearbox crossmember, I'll either have to find a T40/T50 sedan cross and see if it fits, or make one from scratch with rhs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:22 am 

That is absolutely awesome - am I jealoux. Yeaaaah.
Maybe we should try to meet at some stage - I live in Helsingper and have a mint Crown from 1970 that would just looooove to meet it's smaller coupe brother.
I have plans for modifying slightly - lowering, new gearbox and other steel wheels - 16" I suppose. black with chrome rings and bolts and whitewalls.
Here is a picture of it as it looks now.

[url][url=http://postimage.org/]Image[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:26 am 

And this is how low I plan for it to go - maybe ;-)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 12:17 pm 

Holmen; Your car is amazing! I would love to see it irl.
Saw a lot of pictures from a meeting for japanese cars in Netherlands in the meeting-section. Meetings like that doesnt exist in sweden and it would be great to go there next year. If so I would go through denmark and we could meet up. But putting around 3000 km on the car in say a week would be risky, expensive and kind of stupid. Problably never gonna happen ;-(
No plans on visiting sweden? There will be a meeting in september, my first goal is to get the car on the road for that. Maybe a bit far to drive for you, even tho your car looks pretty comfortable ;-)

on topic: Went through all the paperwork I got with the car. Previous owner saved pretty much everything about the car and by the papers I can see she bought it in 1976 with ca 14000km on the clock. And then drove it to ca 49900km in 38 years. I Have no papers from owners before her so the big question is: Was the car driven 114000km its first 6 years and started at 0 again After 100000km. Or was it only driven 14000km in the first 6 years. I guess we'll never know :-(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:50 am 

Bought some new wheels yesterday. Test fitted today:

Image Image Image

Volk mesh 7x15 et10, 6,5x15 et3. Looks like a perfect fit this far imo.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:07 am 

Awesomeness

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:01 pm 

Fantastic!

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:33 pm 

wow!nice car,congrats!
here`s mine from the neighbour country.
we had these here in finland quite a lot,so if there is some hard to find parts,you might find them here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:53 pm 

what a beauty <3 my grandma used to have a third gen and i learned to drive in that car , much love to the corona´s :D cheers bro and waiting for new updates

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:59 am 

Thanks guys!

Iivari; That looks super clean! Parts are really hard to find. I know you got a lot over there, but how do I find parts in Finland? Any website?

Took the car for a spin yesterday. Its 10 years old petrol in it, so it runs like a potato. Shuts off sometimes when starting from standing still, and it hasitates for a bit sometimes when accelerating. Can the cause of this be the old petrol too?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:42 am 

Old fuel and the carby probably needs a good clean and tune - shouldn't be too hard to find a carby rebuild kit on ebay. That and brake pads seem to be the only thing people sell on there :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:02 pm 

http://www.nettiauto.com/toyota/corona
http://www.nettivaraosa.com/haku?id_mak ... model=1580
http://www.tori.fi/koko_suomi?q=corona+ ... &l=0&md=th

theres some links.at this moment there was no hardtops for parts,but maybe someday.
what would you need for it?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:50 am 

Cool find dude!

I'm also from Finland and if you need to find some specific parts, I would succest you to post "wtb" on this site: http://www.fintoys.net/cgi-bin/yabb2/Ya ... OstoVaihto . Fintoys is the biggest Toyota society in Finland and from there you can find parts you need I believe, or atleast you can give it a try. Write there in english and you will be understood, but be careful! There has been cheaters on the site and I wouldn't trust everyone.

Good luck for looking parts!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:02 am 
JNC Enthusiast

What an awesome find!! :shock:
I'm pretty sure there's none of them back in Denmark, so I suppose it's more than likely to be the only one in Sweden.
Congrats with a great purchase. Please respect her and take really good care of her...
Should you and Per decide that your Corona and his Crown need to meet, then I'd certainly be up for riding shot-gun in Pers Crown on the day... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno 1600GT Sprinter (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:41 pm 

Thanks a lot guys!

Do anyone know what oil I should use in the rear axle? I think it makes some noise sometimes. I hope it can be a bit better with new oil.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:00 am 

Fege wrote:
Thanks a lot guys!

Do anyone know what oil I should use in the rear axle? I think it makes some noise sometimes. I hope it can be a bit better with new oil.

SAE 80, 85, 90 depending on temps outdoors. 1.3 qts multipurpose API-GL-5 This was the best that I could do, because I only had the specifications for a later Model Corona. If your axle is making noise, I would have it serviced and bearing replaced. It is your investment, time to spend a few dollars to get the best out of it. 8)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 43 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next