#
It is currently Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:47 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: 1969 RT40 - automatic transmission?
PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:12 am 
Hi there, I'm new in here. I'm seriousy looking at buying a 1969 RT40, in excellent condition, but with an automatic trans. Can anyone comment on the reliability of these autos? I've had bad experiences in the past with older automatics. :?

Post subject: Re: 1969 RT40 - automatic transmission?
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:58 pm 
Carl1970 wrote:
Hi there, I'm new in here. I'm seriousy looking at buying a 1969 RT40, in excellent condition, but with an automatic trans. Can anyone comment on the reliability of these autos? I've had bad experiences in the past with older automatics. :?
Hi, I converted my 67' Corona ,2 speed, to a 68' 3 spd auto- built /designed by Borg Warner for Toyota. Worked excellent. Good first step would be to find a rebuild kit.Good Luck Art. :tu:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:12 am 

i have a 69 rt43 with a 2 spd and i have just changed the fluids
it hasn't given me any problems but i am very easy on the car

i don't think alot of guys are into the auto's in corona's and i wasn't either but i am glad i got one,it's nice for just cruising (at lower speed's)

have you posted any pics of your car??i wold like to see some

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:28 am 
Hi, no, haven't posted any pics yet, as I'm still deciding whether to buy it.

I would have preferred a manual transmission, but this car seems to be in very good condition overall. I used to have a 1962 Tiara, with a manual box, and I couldn't fault that. The car was good for a cruising speed of about 60mph.

I would be using this car for some quite long trips from time to time, and if I buy it the first thing I'll have to do is drive it from Adelaide to Sydney, about 1000 miles.

What are these old automatics like on the open road?

Also, any advice on things to check especially carefully before buying would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:01 pm 

well as you have owned an older car beofore im sure you know just how they are
look for any leaks and hopefully you can drive the car to see how strong the engine and transmision feel,im not sure if cars in australia have many rust problems??
i would say to maybe buy the car if it is in far condition and in the mean time scout around for a manual gearbox.when the auto seems to give you trouble then you can swap it.(i do think corona's where popular in your part of the world so hopefully parts wont be difficult to find)
as im not very mechanicaly inclined i think this solution is kind of simple.
i have worked on my corona and i felt like the car is farly simple and straight forward in design so i would think if i could work on one with little problems most people could do the same.

i do have to say though the 2 speed in my corona is not so great out here in southern california's high speed freeways(75-80mph)
in cruisin speeds(45-50)it's very nice and confortable,just be nice to the engine and gearbox it's over 40 years old.

Post subject: Re: 1969 RT40 - automatic transmission?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:42 am 

Carl1970 wrote:

Me too, had an RT40 four door we bought it for $100 and it was auto 2 speed column shift Low and DRIVE.

Used to leave it at the local airport and fly drive so the story goes.
Everytime the battery was flat until we disconnected the clock.

You cant push start an RT40 Auto.

Bench seat vinyl.

Gutless on a freeway.

Drum brakes, alloy front leading shoe, steel rear,

Bought a new battery and someone stole the Corona

they probably needed a battery,
so we bought a Datsun 1600

There is one thing worse than a Corona AUTO

and thats a Corolla Auto

and the only thing worse than a Corolla Auto is a Mighty Boy Auto.

:wink:

:td:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]