Thanks Matches, we're trying to do right by the car. It was a tough decision to modify it. The car was very original, but had a lot of needs. We decided a little resto-mod flavor was the best course of action. My main goal is to make sure everythig that's done looks like it is supposed to be that way.
Now for a little update.I got my new steering parts back from the machine shop. I think I might drill some 'speed holes' in it to lighten it up a bit. I think I went a little to far in the overkill this time...it's really heavy, but it is a steering part. Can't cut corners there.
This is the actual steering rack that that bracket bolts onto. It's a center pivot, meaning the tie rods attach in the center rather than the ends. This one is from a Daewoo Lanos. I have to wonder what the guy at the junkyard in Europe thought as he packaged that up to be sent to the US...If you're doing a rack swap on a LHD car, you can find this same rack in LHD form in many Saabs, Chevy Berettas, Corsica's, and early 90's Cavaliers. If RHD, you'll be looking for a UK or Australian spec Daewoo Lanos. Not sure about where else it was used in RHD.
Here you can see the crank sensor mount on the oil pump I was talking about. The new pump is from a VVTI 2J, the old is standard 2JZGE spec.
Here it is mounted on the engine with the new modified lower timing gear and sensor (note this picture is upside down). The trigger wheel is built into the lower timing gear. Stock it was a 36-2 wheel, now it's a 36-1. I tig'd the two missing teeth on, then shaped them with a hand file. After getting everything set up, I cut off one tooth at the right point to work with the Ford EDIS parts. For a 6-cylinder application the missing tooth needs to pass the sensor 60° BTDC.
Here's the EDIS components. I pulled them and the pigtails from a 90's v6 Mustang. If you want the people at the junkyard to give you funny looks, go in and ask them if they have any 90's v6 Fords, and if they have any Saabs Corsicas or Berettas...(I needed a bracket for the rack). Then when you come back to the office, ask them how much they want for the transmission out of the mkII Supra they have in the yard...they had no idea what I was working on...
This is the computer that will actually control the timing. It's a Megajolt unit that with a TPS sensor will allow me to tune with a 3d timing curve. Without the sensor I can still set the timing curve based on RPM. The great thing about this system, if the Megajolt were to fail, the Ford parts default timing to a limp home mode of 10° BTDC. One of the many reasons using factory parts is awesome. Manufacturers pay a lot of money to design these parts, I try to use that whenever I can.
I also pulled the steering column. Need to get all the parts to go from Toyota column to Daewoo rack. I think I'll be able to get it done with two u-joints and a support for the shaft. I haven't decided if I'm going to leave the rag joint in place or not. I at least need to get a new one, as this one is beyond toast.
I also got the fittings I need for my vacuum system. I'm going to tap the injector bungs on the manifold for these. I needed a place to pull vacuum from each runner, and I needed to plug those holes, these will solve both those problems. They're 1/4 NPT to 1/4 push lock tubing swivels. I think they should make for a clean install. They'll run to a custom reservoir so I can still have power brakes. I need to get some pictures, but I decided to repurpose the old A/C drier into the vacuum reservoir.
This is my business partner and girlfriend...she asked why I didn't post her posing with the engine...so I had to include that, and the shot of her posing with the R154 she rebuilt for our Aerocabin.
That's it for now...more updates soon.