It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:25 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 10   [ 181 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: My 1973 Corona MKII build
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:08 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Matches wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.

Do you think too much fuel pressure can prevent the car from starting?

Too much pressure could flood the engine cause too much fuel will enter the engine when the injectors open. Have your plugs been getting wet?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:34 pm 

Yeah, plugs are getting wet with fuel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:23 am 

I tried a few things to get the fuel pressure down with no luck. The gauge will peg at over 70psi. Most of the time the gauge reads between 63 and 73psi.

The stock fuel return may be too small for an EFI pump.

I also double checked mechanical ignition timing. I think it's ok.

Next step is test all the components and figure out what's not working. After that, I suppose I need to buy a compression tester and make sure the head gasket isn't rotten out or something

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:54 pm 

http://youtu.be/BK7IN82ACHY

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:37 am 

o_O Jim Carrey came and fixed it then drove off!?!?!? MIND = BLOWN!!

Sounds a bit peeved you woke it up though, timing issue?

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:57 am 

Good job! Now tell us what was the problem! Sounds like you might have some air leaks in vacuum lines or something.

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:17 pm 

Having Ace Ventura show up and start my car was frelling wild! The dude is seriously odd....

Anywho

The problem was the fuel. I don't know what the trouble is, but my setup isn't working. 70psi at the rail suggested to me that there is a clog or something preventing fuel from returning to the tank. I verified this by pulling off the return hose and not getting any fuel returing to the suge tank.

FPR stuck?

I swapped a few lines around just to see what would happen, and just like that she fired up!

Weird thing is that I am now feeding fuel into the rail backwards and reading 0 PSI on the gauge. Back to the drawing board!

The engine does act like there is a big air leak. I was thinking maybe that NO exhaust at all is messing up the o2 sensor readings and causing the ECU to 'hunt' for the ideal a/f ratio. The o2 sensor is right before the manifold outlet which is dumping to atmosphere.

Dunno, that's just a guess. Or the problem could just be as simple as an air leak.

Timing is set according to the factory service manual specs. I haven't verified with a timing light yet.

I want to figure out the fuel and get an exhaust pipe on before firing up the car again.

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:45 pm 

Found a stock 7M-GE mid-pipe, but without the cat.

Bolted it up and started the car again. That slow rev to 3k and drop and back again is gone, so that's good. Not an air leak. Nice and steady idle. Hella loud though!

The pipe fits almost like stock. Fits perfectly, except for at the trans mount where it hits. I may just take the heat shield off and see if it clears, but what is likely is that I'll just have a low profile trans mount made.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:26 am 

Clearance that bish(midpipe) with a hammer, spray some black header paint and you're golden :tu:

Question: Do you have the 7m's factory oxygen sensor installed? It needs that for engine feedback and could be part of your issue. Im sure its a narrowband sensor so it shouldnt be too expensive.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12289
^Heres my build thread^

Packergreg wrote:
Hezath wrote:
Wagons pull the bitches

That's how they got the old expression "Wagons Ho!"

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:40 am 

Yes the o2 sensor is plugged in. I think that's why the engine was "hunting" before I had the mid-pipe on. Too much air mixing with the exhaust right at the o2 sensor, because now that the pipe is on the idle is steady.

As for gaining clearance with a BFH, that might do. I'm just worried about putting a funny angle in the exhaust that has yet to be made and ground clearance. The car will be lowered in the coming months. (King Springs out of Australia)

Dunno. I'll work it out.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:59 pm 

How much are the king springs setting you back? I got a quote from them and the shipping cost was a deal-killer.

I used their catalog to cross-reference and found that earlier corona (RT) stock front springs were the same code as the MkII lowering springs. Just an FYI. :)

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:14 pm 

Honestly I've just gone off descriptions on ebay. $250 for a set of springs plus $200 for shipping makes me think there may be a cheaper alternative stateside? That is pretty pricey for a set of springs.

Not sure. Maybe I'll call Ground Control or Techno Toy Tuning or someplace. Not an emergency, really. But will be something I want to do soon as I've already ordered new shocks.

What are cut springs like riding on? I've always been told awful

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 3:51 pm 

Cutting springs (the proper way, without imparting too much heat on the coil) results in two changes: Shorter unloaded length and increased spring rate. If both of these things are what you want, then it's not awful. Increasing the damping factor (stiffer shocks) will likely be necessary, as well as something with a shorter stroke to keep the springs in place on full droop. Camaro shocks that are popular for AE86s might be a worthy substitute. I have a pair in my starlet, actually... I should try that out.... I'll let you know if you're not in a rush.

There are spring rate calculators online that can help you figure out what your increase in spring rate will be.

If you want the same spring rate, but lower ride height, then a custom set of springs is the only option.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:58 pm 

Alright, thanks for the advice.

I've emailed a local place about custom springs. I can't imagine they would be less expensive than just paying for the King springs to come from Australia, but worth a shot. Maybe they will dig up a compatable set of part numbers like you are talking about with Cameros and have something useable.

Thanks also for the tip about the older Corona springs, that could be aces.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 10:47 pm 

Pretty sure there's a thread on toymods that has part numbers for the springs and shocks, for a coupe but can't imagine the suspension would change much between chassis. Should be under JZX23 in members rides.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:46 am 

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showth ... light=mx23

TLDR version

Quote:
well after searching and searching, and finally speaking to someone at KING SPRINGS head office, i now have the correct part numbers for lowered FRONT AND REAR srpings (2 week wait as they have to be made to order),
MARK 2 TOYOTA (they dont have it listed a mx23 or a corona!)
front: KTFL-04
rear: KCRL04

Quote:
+ rep for the King spring codes
Ive spent many an hour on the phone to king springs, pedders and lovelle to get no where.

And to save u any trouble with shokkies (these are pedders sports riders, made a HUGE difference to mine even with claped out 38 year old springs)
Front: GSR 9091
Rear: GSR 9020 (bolt straight in)

with the fronts, you will need to file about 3mm of either side of the lower wishbone near the bolt holes to get the shockie in, and thats still "almost scratching paint" tight.

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:23 am 

Thanks! I searched for the thread but didn't find it right away. Thanks for the TLDR version lol

I bought a cheap set of replacement shocks that I will install sooner, and that should be good enough while I figure out the springs and get to work on the body.

I can't do body work on my own. My brother in law is going to help some, but mostly I will have to pay for professional work.

Current next steps on the car are trans mount and exhaust, then drive!

Then I will start cleaning up all the wiring

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2014 8:12 pm 

Finally solved my fuel problem!

In the end it was pretty simple: a replacement fuel pressure regulator. I am very happy that I got the fuel system right. A few people told me it was too complicated, but everything is working as it should.

So, I now have brakes, clutch, and an engine that seems to run ok.

I rolled the car a few feet in reverse and a few feet forward under its own power. Small steps are very exciting!

Bad news is, dissapearing coolant and white smoke on startup. I may be replacing the headgasket soon :(

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:29 pm 

The work lately has been to try and get something done about the transmission mount. What I need is to be able to drive the car enough that I can have a real mount made by a pro. All I did was take a couple sections of 1/8" aluminum bar and drill holes for the factor W58 mount and bolt those to the factory Corona trans mount. Easy, ugly, and not strong enough. I'll have a pro fix it up soon.

No other updates other than some shifter bushes. The trans didn't have a shifter seat bushing at all, so I ordered a Marlin Crawler nylon bushing, along with a new shifter socket bushing. What a difference these parts make! I can actually find gears now.

Gave the car a wash and took a few photos just for turds and chuckles. What do you all think of the NGK sticker on the rear quarter window? Cool or wannabe?

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 10:15 am 
JNC Enthusiast

There she is :tu: looks cool

Thanks for sharing

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 10   [ 181 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next