#
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:11 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: Ae86 Drift Missile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:52 am 

Somehow last winter i wound up owning a 2000 honda civic hatchback, it did good in the snow, but front wheel drive just does nothing for me. after winter i posted it for sale and began searching for another proper wheel drive car. I found this 86 on usedvic, talked to the owner a few times and set up a time to go see it. I never was to fond of the coupe 86's but figured it was worth a test drive. one quick ride around the block and a check over of the fluids and cash exchanged hands, and off to superstore for some plates we went..

Heres its first day at my house
and after a good cleaning

The exhaust was too loud, the rear end needed to be dropped but all in all it was a decent investment. I cut the rear springs/ bumpstops and installed some camaro rear shocks to lower it up and stiffen it some. changed up the tires because they had bigger tires in the front like it was civic drag car. Then i had a run in with our favourite donut loving career criminals and they gave me a vehicle inspection after 13 days of owning it. this lead to me taking off the fartcannon and replacing it with stock 86 piping and a free flowing muffler. it was good enough to get it street legal again.

6 days after passing the v.i. i went to a capital drift event and someone spun in front of me so to avoid them i locked up and spun my car around and gently backed into the wall, no major damage. Broke a bit of my drivers brake light and dented the corner, very minimal damage. used some band-aid brand palm bandages and it was good as new.. But i had no ebrake at this event. so that was on my list to do

that photo was the first event i took the car to. it help up well, but was obviously still to soft. and stock seats wernt up to the holding me in
when i got home that night i hopped onto ebay and ordered myself the complete energy suspension kit for the 86 and some rails for my sparco seat i had collecting dust. just by changing the front and rear sway bar bushings i noticed the car stiffened up a bit. i changed the front suspension to some bottomed out 86 struts on ebay sleeves that i typically run in my 82 wagon. this helped with the body roll as well.

This is before i changed the front struts to the ebay sleeved ones
this is after, its a hard angle to tell the roll on but its alot less

I hit a few more events without really changing much, i ordered a hydro brake and installed it, it worked good for half the event then it started to have problems building pressure, i would avoid the ebay brand products. lesson learnt.
then one week before an event my diff started snapping on right turns, it almost felt to me like it was racheting, so i decided to change the oil, and lots and lots and lots of metal came out. so the diff needed to come out. whoever welded it didnt do a good job, the plate that some people insist is good to use was in the bottom of the axle housing. chunks of spider gears were everywhere it was bad, luckily lukes 86 has a spooled diff and he was willing to lend it to me for the day..

Then i hit the wall
Somehow i managed to just drag the bumper down the back stretch of western, just enough to remove the black paint and show more of the cars original colours
the best part about this car, is i really have no love for coupes, i prefer hatchbacks. so for me if i kill the body thats fine, i just hope to save the 4ag for future fun, so i decided after watching all the more experienced drivers getting into the walltaps and dirtbank tapping i decided it was my turn. it took a few good attempts to get the feel of it and how close the car was getting, and then i found my way into it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWM203UHhsA&list=UUnXyd3OLdtWwRHfixz-riRQ&index=1 you need to fast forward a bit but thats the video of it.

so the season came to an end, and i promised myself i would stop wasting money on my 86 and the wagon and just focus my funds into my wedding. like all plans, it changed.
it seems whenever i help someone, i wind up getting f'ed in the end. i went to teach my fiance's sister to drive standard and on my way home with her we hit a road block and i got another vi on my car. the cop was chill about it, but not having a rear bumper reinforcement is hard to get away with. Normally this would have made me mad, but i felt it was a sign that i needed to make it a racecar i was not happy about having to drive the wagon thru the winter, but **** happens.

i decided that it was time to step up and buy a trailer and truck, then my boss offered to let me use his truck and trailer/ my dad as well, so im set saving money already!

The black paint was done terribly, flaking off in lots of spots. so i decided i wanted a hand sander, now was a good enough reason to buy one.
i was very excited when i found the gts decals beneath the black
since it is going to be track use only i am thinking about running one headlight and the other one having the filter coming out of it. lots of cars do this but i feel its a truely effective form of cold air intake, and in my head it will help get air into the car better when sideways

I have the majority of it allready sanded, but im doing some work on the rear arches, they were in rough shape. what i decided might not have been the best solution but it worked for me.
i recently had picked up a small lincoln welder so i decide to do a bit of practice before i got to far into something and wasnt able to back peddle
i removed the rear lights and welded plated in to flush them out. i know lots of hot rod and custom guys do this for the flush look, i only did it to get some practice welding the pot metal that we call cars.
it worked ok so i decided i could cut off the stock wheel arch, and began to hammer the inner fender upward to meet the cut line, then folded it together up a slight bit and tacked it all up, one side is nearly completed now, and i mounted a flare ( the one that it came with) slightly higher then where it used to be but it looks more or less the same as when the stock arch was there, this has sealed up the inner cabin and also will allow for wider wheels

One of my friends little brothers bought a 240sx and it was just full of rust so he is putting the ka24de into his little hardbody pickup and scrapping the car, another friend had a 240 that needed parts and a deal was struck, i middle maned it and wound up with a sweet deal on some goodies. i picked up some 15" mitsubishi oz rally rims (4x4.5" but terrible offset) and also got the 240sx front suspension so the track will be wider on the 86. theres also more upgrades for everything 240 related at most the time a better price range then parts for the 86. so it made sense, the only part i was bummed out about was that the new front end parts wont clear 13" rims... or will it. if your offset it low enough it seems to clear. i just did a quick test fit without lug nuts because the thread pitch is different then what i have, but it appears that my deepest d slot's and my crager rims should work fine for the front. bonus!

Another recent purchase i made was the Nitrous setup dugan was selling he gave me a good deal on the nos setup and wound up tossing more stuff in on top of that, i highly recommend dealing with dug he is a standup person, he included a injen intake allready plumbed for the nitrous, a fuel rail allready plumbed, so much more also well worth the investment i think, at least it will liven up the 4ag until something better comes along.

if im going to nitrous the car i decided hell i have a wideband thats been in a box brand new for almost 2 years, might as well use it. i am sure everyone and there dog puts there wideband here. but its just such a good spot for it

[QUOTE=Rastaracer;436185]Looking forward to seeing this roasting tires next season...what color are you going to paint it?[/QUOTE]
Right now I'm having a tough time deciding, i was thinking of a dark army green, and some accents to compliment it. but the other day i went into canadian tire and found some dupli-colour candy green that i might use... for now paint is near the bottom of my to do list, i need to sort out the front suspension and clean up the engine bay

warren posted this stuff long ago in his build thread
Quote:
Stuff you need

s13 tie rod end
s13 knuckle
s13 strut, springs or coilover whatever
s13 LCA
s13 hub
s13 rotor
s13 caliper

Your corolla tension rods and sway bar line up perfectly on the LCA. You no longer can fit 13 inch rims and some 14s might not fit? Says Rob?

You only NEED to drill one hole for the camber plates. But since my corolla had s13 camber plates before maybe you can keep your corolla camber plates with the s13 strut?

and then drill out only the front half of the LCA mount to 9/16".
things to note are that

in case anyone does go this route i have a bit to input. the s13 stock strut will not fit in the 86 tower, you will need to be running coilovers... 13's will fit if the offset is high enough. My deepest D slots and my crager's will just clear the calipers. the front of this will be wide!

Post subject: Re: Ae86 Drift Missile
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:56 am 

Today i spent a bit of time in the shop bouncing from task to task, but heres what i have completed now

The rear arches were pretty rotten, and the car came with bolt on flares for the rear. So i decided to do some more hacking i mentioned this before but heres the pictures of what i have done.
i used tin snips to cut the arch off both sides, then trimmed the inner fenders up as well. using a ball peen hammer i spent a good amount of time massaging the old tin up and flush with the newly trimmed body line. then came the task of tacking it all back up, even with my small Lincoln welder on low it was still trying to burn holes in the sheet metal. got the job done but its not as clean as i had hoped, but the flares hide it anyways. after all was said and done i realized i should have done some form of measuring to make the flares roughly even... only 1/2" off from side to side so i will be moving them slightly to get it even. then comes the task of flushing them in. i plan on using either fibreglass or bondo to mate the flare to the body lines and make it look a bit better. almost time to order some 13x10's

starting

beginning to roll the inner fender up

tons of ugly little welds, but they worked thats what counts i guess

and mocking the flare
here is the other side it was completed last week.

One side of the 240sx suspension is in... sort of. I have hit a road block, because the stock struts are to large to fit in the strut tower of the 86. so i started off by undoing the strut without a strut compressor. this is not for the weak of heart. then i test fitted them without springs or the top hat. and it fits... sort of, the bottom perch for the spring is still in the way. so i got out the angle grinder (these wont be run on my car but i got impatient and wanted to see how it looked width wise..) so now it will turn and sit properly without hitting anything, i have thrown in the "coil over" spring that was in it before. just the spring not the adjustment perch. bolted **** up and put it on the ground. here it is maxxed out camber on the 86 camber plates. I'm sure i can get more camber if i wanted to adjust it at the knuckle

i will need to add more caster. the radius arms are not bolted in right now.
fender unbolted sitting gracefully ( the fenders are on bolt on spacers at the back )

Things have been going slowly, my right hand is busted up pretty badly so progress hit a standstill almost.

the front end is almost complete then it will get a driveway alignment. Just waiting on a few bits and pieces for the Nos Kit. that will be the next thing to tackle.

Updated Parts List for S13 parts into ae86...

after some issue getting the right stuff here is some part #'s to help you along. (i used a 86 power rack)
RA40 tie rod end, Beck Arnley# 101-1873
adjustment sleeve.. Moog# es460s
s13 knuckle
s13 strut, stock struts will not fit in the tower, (ebay sleeves will work if you cut the base for the spring down)
s13 LCA
s13 hub
s13 rotor
s13 caliper

Your corolla sway bar lines up perfectly on the LCA, the tension rod will reach but you will need to drill one hole.

You only NEED to drill one hole for the s13 camber plates.
i have retained the 86 camber plates i already had, the only thing is that the shock insert diameter is a bit smaller, i used a tapered bolt to centre it properly

and then drill out only the front half of the LCA mount to 9/16". to accommodate for the tapered bolt of the S13 lcd

Your rim choices have changed up a bit you can still run a 13" if your backspacing is around 1", anything higher and you will come into contact of the caliper

got everything bolted on both sides now and test fitted the spacing of my fenders.

This is the ghetto **** i have done to get it to roll around the shop again until i can afford proper coil overs for the front. Because of this ghetto nonsense it sits super low, so i let it have the most camber i could get out of it. now it lays frame in and out of my shop, driveway, bumps in the street. oh yea!

After doing this i have had **** for brakes, but i did it over a week and a bit because of my hand, i think that the master seals might have let go. I read warren ran into a problem with his brakes as well when he did the s13 front end. my calipers are on the right side, haha but doesnt really want to build much for pressure. Another problem for another day i suppose, bleed brakes alone is tedious without the proper tools to do it.

well my car has been dormant for awhile but heres whats up.

nitrous is installed. need to fill the tank and mount the brackets.
the brakes are fixed. the power steering is looped for now.
its almost ready for paint. theres so much to do in so little time its retarded

cars painted now, its shines like no other 86 i have ever seen. photos and a video to follow shortly

last night i got my wideband in and calibrated.today it needs gear oil and can roll around the yard finally, lots of final touches and bits to be put back on. But things are looking up and i shuold make its debut this sunday at my stag drift event

my camera wont work without the cord, so the gopro is all you get. sorry for not editing it better drag it out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZzMSJoMAI4&list=UUnXyd3OLdtWwRHfixz-riRQ&index=1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:04 am 

Very little has been done to the car over the last few months. combo of to many things on my plate and feeling unmotivated

i have taken it to the track 2 times now. and it feels better then it ever did before. i finally have my alignment to somewhere i feel it is acceptable and the increased angle is pretty cool for recovery purpose's. it feels like your at full lock when sliding then you get about another 1/4 turn out of the wheel if you really grab it and tell it to get more angle. I am happy with that part now i just need to find some S13 front coilovers so the suspension is less janky.

I particpated in the first round of drifting @ saratoga speedway this past weekend. It was during racing hours so we had spectators and were supposed to be the highlight of the night. There was alot of confusion between track staff and drivers. but the event was pretty good other then that. i got a few practice laps in with a passenger and everything felt pretty good. having never drifted saratoga in the dry, it was a little odd getting used to it. Then on a practice run a 240 spun in front of me, and stupid me stopped dead not knowing where the guy was gonna go. Needless to say i got rearended by another 240. He drifted right into my RR, saw him soon enough to dump the clutch and get some momentum, it still hit us pretty good. i was able to get it hammered out, made sure the other driver was ok and appoligized for stopping, by then it was qualifying. i layed down an ok qualifying run. there were 9 cars and 2 broke so there was only a top 6. little underpowered 86 was knocked out first round. But thats not why i go out. its fun just to get out and beat on the ol car every now and again. I need to run back to work now but i will post some pictures later this evening

Mid season blues. Tore my oil pan 2 weeks ago. fixed it, tore it again. My fault for being cheap with the front end setup.

Went and did some spirited driving on sunday funday and noticed the diff getting louder and louder. then on my way to work monday it snapped the left axle in a parking lot. So it looks like the green beast will become a lawn ornament until next season.

I am going to picking up a 7.5 diff from a pickup with an lsd thanks to Dug! and while its down i plan to convert the front end to s14 5lug hubs as well as doing lots of other little **** like finally putting in the Nitrous and a belt bar. motor will most likely be coming out to get a clutch. but who knows if it will actually find its way back into this car.

Im the king of dragging my ass and getting nothing done. so heres an update with whats been going on in my life lately

Corolla is still off the road parked getting a truck diff. The mounts have been cut off the 86 housing and are ready to go onto the tacoma diff, then we ran out of oxygen and called it a day. That night i was thinking to myself, i love the reliability of a stock engine. and since I'm changing the rear end i need to have a driveshaft fabricated. I'm cheap, and the 4age doesn't put the power down that i would like. That being said i decided why bother paying to have 2 driveshafts made. one for the 4a, and then another when i decide to change power plants. So the decision was made, and the trigger was pulled, i put the 4ag swap up for sale and a guy i met who is converting a super clean sr5 to a gts came by asked a few questions then handed me money. Even brought by an engine crane for me to use rather then hassling my work to borrow ours.

I thought for awhile of the engine i wanted. Few years ago i had a 89 alltrac 3sgte, but decided against using it because of the awful angle they need to sit on to have oil return properly.
a 4.6L mustang swap was debated due to the cheapness but i decided that i wanted reliability not hassle so the ford idea was tossed out quickly.
1uz swap puts down the numbers i like, and seems to be pretty badass after watching Matts car smoke so hard. but theres 3 guys already in the process or already running a 1uz in a 86. (not that it matters) it boiled down to, it takes effort and money to convert to 5speed. and that gets costly
i debated a gze, but the cost of one, for the power they make didn't seem worth it to me personally.

So the choice got real obvious. I'm not smashing the firewall to **** for a jz, restalls firewall turned me off of that swap. So clearly the best option is a beams blacktop 3sge.

I have found a few, none of which have had the maf. and i want to keep it stock rather then change the ecu and run itb's.
The plan is to use the 6speed and the stock beams ecu. this way only one shaft will need to be fabricated and the power will hopefully make the car more enjoyable to drive. I know that its not going to be cheap or easy, but it should be reliable. And the power is comparable to an f20c which if we all recall smokes quite well in gpennys car. but the swap is less to buy.

Everything is in the air right now as for what/where I'm going to buy my motor, anyone with input or has dealt with engine imported i would love some feedback on who's good and where to look

yea i picked up the truck diff off dug. hoping to not require extra axles anymore but thanks for the offer derek..

Parts are on the way
Engine, trans, wiring, ecu are coming in from quebec.
ordered a driveshaft from australia. shipping was going to be more then the shaft so lucky for me Steve Thompson is able to bring it in for me in a seacan he is having shipped up.

I haven't paid the guy yet but i am also ordering a bolt in swap kit from aussie land as well that steve is going to bring up for me. The stuff from aussie land will not be in until roughly january steve said so it gives me time to have the wiring dealt with and sort out the fuel delivery system. i am hoping to be doing fat brake stands in my driveway for valentines day as a lovely gift to myself.

Can anyone chime in on the effects of lowering the crossmember. the bolt in kit lowers the subframe so it will allow the hood to close.
http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/66952-beams-3sge-into-ae86-conversion-kits/
this is the kit. my other concern is he made it to fit RHD and I'm concerned about the steering linkage getting in the way of exhaust piping.

my cars pretty janky so i don't really have a problem cutting the hood up and making a cowl induction hood. but then the trans tunnel probably needs work since it will lift the motor up a bit.

Lots of **** going thru my mind and lots of money going out of my accounts. I may have to sell some toys this season to afford skids. so keep your wallets full and eyes open for my 510 or crown custom wagon getting listed for sale

id like to see a cost break down of the uz swap i don't see how it can cost much less in the end,

both cars need a custom driveshaft, upgraded rear end.
i bought a mostly complete 3sge for 1700 to my work i need get an intake and a few other things. bolt in kit cost me 400 and a shaft to use to make the new shaft cost me 150.i still need to buy alot, i plan on sending the harness to someone else to convert because i have more money then patience even if it is none to none… i need to buy a fuel pump (7mgte) and a rpm adapter so i can still use the stock 86 tach. I'm not completely delusional i know theres going to be a bunch of little things that will add up before I'm done. I'm guessing 3000-3500 by the time I'm all in and smoking tires again

How much is a uz by the time your done getting an engine/trans and adapters and doing all the clutch parts? plus exhaust manifolds would be double the pain in the ass of the 3sge?
im not knocking the v8, Matts car kills it, dugs car will be epic as well. and those are just the 2 i have seen in person. But to me the 3sge seemed the better decision

And steve is a god of Drift heavens

Still waiting on some items to arrive before i tear into it more but heres my winter parts hoard list

Its not going to be much of a rolla anymore.

240sx front suspension. Lcas, knuckles, brakes, tanabe coilovers
tacoma truck rear end ,with supra lsd
Beams engine and trans
dodge ram 1/2 ton rear coil springs (will be cut down and used for rears)
mk3 turbo supra fuel pump.

Still debating if i want to run average 14s or deep dish 15s all around

Running super low is nolonger a concern. My cars been stupid low for this season, and I would rather not tear the oil pan on the beams. 14s are my plan I think, tires are easier for me to find in sizes i like free at work.
Yesterday my dad and I finished the welding on the new rearend I hope everything's square enough I don't need to buy adjustable links. I plan on prepping everything for some paint before it goes back in so hopefully next week she can roll around my yard again.

i have alot of little things that keep coming to my attention that need dealing with before the car hits the track again. probably more like june before i will get to drive it again
i have to repair the seat bolts one pulled out when a poofourty rear ended me
full exhaust needs to be redone
i want to remove all the interior panels and put sheet metal over it
Fuel pump/ pressure regulator and return
i have been debating cleaning up the dash and having a set of toggle switches for everything
I need to figure out a ebrake setup, the new rearend is drum brake. ideally i want to run a stock cable. and a hydrobrake, really have no plans of ditching the drums. as far as i am concerned drums work better for sliding, brakes lock fast and hard always

The more i stop and think the more that pops up, and i realize i bit off more then i can chew financially right now, so thats why i have pushed the date back for when i hope to be done. Sorry for the rant/list its more for my own memory :D

Preparing the housing and four links slowly, it's nice to see it all shiny, a wire wheel goes along way. I debated just clearing it as is. The more I look at the rearend the less stoked I am on how it came out without using a jig. If its horrid I will probably go ask warren to redo it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:06 am 

I also picked up some wheels over the weekend. 2 I have allready, 4 are paid for and getting picked up tonight.... The pair I picked up are a 15" dslot 8" wide 4" backspace. The other pairs are wilder. Much wilder.
10 and 12" wide. The price was right and there perfect for my plans. But body wise the rear ends going to need over fenders I think... But 5bolt rearend is awesome for opening up a guys wheel options. I have just been hitting up my dad's friends for there old wheels.

couldn't get a good picture of the diff because my shop lighting is poor and the iPad has no flash.

and this is my newest best friend
Her name is zoe, we got her half price as a wedding present from my buddy. She keeps me busy and away from the shop alot. But its worth working slow to have her around

Date wide ass

So the wheels are actually 14x9 and 15x10. Still pretty insane wheels. Then knock off cragers have 6 1/2 inches of lip. This is a 195/50/15 on a 10" wide. Pretty nutty, I wound up using a 195/60 to get the beads closer to being seated.. Not to sure how safe it is so I guess I'm gonna carry a spare for a while once it's running again
15x10 with a 195/50

14x9 with a 175/65

The beads stretch so much on the 14's they never properly sealed, going to run 185/60s I think.

New tires hahaha. Your funny bud :)

Received the replacement vvti sensor in the mail the other day. Finally got Rear end housing is clean and painted grey with self etch primer. Still need to get around to removing the upper 2 links from the car and clean/install poly bushings then the rear end should go back in.

Wiring harness and ecu have been removed from my engine now and brought home. (Beams is stored at work I'm going to have it wired into to the stock 86 relays. I. Going to look into It but lack the confidence to try in fears or wreaking something.

Got a line on rear overs finally, there for a hatch but I'm sure they can be coaxed onto the coupe. Being old, tattered and cheap will make It easier to chop em up to make it work

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:08 am 

Waiting for the last of the paint to dry on my rearend housing and the links. Painted the pumpkin as well. Tommorow I will install the rearend after I take it to powerwash the grinding junk and old oil out. As I'm writing this I just realized I have not done the pan hard bar yet so back to the shop I go..

Everything looks real nice painted with the self etch grey. I debated clear coating it but realistically it's a rear end your never going to see it. Pic will be posted in a day or 2

Links are installed into the car. And everything looks 100% better then before. While laying modern earth it I noticed some more of the hints from its past. Slightly bent pan hard mount from when jay whit had it.

Looking at how the housing sits under the car even uncounted is leaning me toward believing the 15x10s are going to stick out 5 inches at least past stock panels. Overs with flares maybe. I can't seem to get pics off my iPad onto here.

Vvti solenoid. Bob Marley approved

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]