#
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:31 pm


Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
Author Message
 Post subject: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:02 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:46 pm
Posts: 18
Hey guys, I've got a tough decision here...

I've been offered a trade for my 1980 RX-7 (Here's my thread with pictures of it: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23571)

It's a 1983 Corolla sedan. Looks to be in IMMACULATE condition from the pictures I've gotten from the gentleman. I love the older Corollas, but....it's an AUTOMATIC!!! I love the 5 speed in my RX-7, and I'm a little iffy on going back to a slushbox. My question is, is the trade for this car worth it even though I'm missing out on rowing my own gears??? I feel like I'll miss it at first, but could get over it. On the other hand, I freakin' love a good manual.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

What'cha think?

Cheers,
Nihonnotekko

_________________
zoom-zoom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:48 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:02 pm
Posts: 432
Location: Hong Kong
The Rolla does indeed look very minty!! :tu:
You could always swap in a manual box and fit slim chrome bumpers to make it absolutely awesome!! 8)

_________________
It's not what you drive - it's how you drive it...

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:12 pm 

Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:25 pm
Posts: 169
Location: Alberta
Keep the rx-7


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:33 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:11 am
Posts: 46
Location: Manila, Philippines (sometimes in Bulacan)
I Vote: Corolla.

Put some aftermarket rims on it and that would make a great everyday car.

_________________
Real men have "carbs"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:52 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:46 pm
Posts: 18
Is anybody familiar with the reliability of the 4th gen. Corollas? Especially with the auto-trans, I would reallllllly hate having to rebuild it frequently.

I also have another contender...

A '91 Civic hatch 4-speed manual. It's an all original car, no mods, AND...it comes with all it's original records.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image


Keep in mind, this next buy will be my daily driver to school and work.

_________________
zoom-zoom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:23 am 

Joined: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:17 pm
Posts: 141
Location: Los Angeles
nihonnotekko wrote:
It's a 1983 Corolla sedan. Looks to be in IMMACULATE condition from the pictures I've gotten from the gentleman.

Yeah, it is a clean car but, sports car -> four door???? Do you really need to ask (unless you have kids)????

nihonnotekko wrote:
it's an AUTOMATIC!!!

The only three words worse than saying, "I love you" (cue in theme music from James Bond). Kiss of death for me, ESPECIALLY for a JNC hobby car (unless it was something like an LS400).

nihonnotekko wrote:
I love the 5 speed in my RX-7, and I'm a little iffy on going back to a slushbox.

Everyone is different but I wouldn't do it...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:45 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:47 am
Posts: 267
Location: TX
keep the rx7. there is no other answer to this question.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:46 pm
Posts: 18
Stevester wrote:
nihonnotekko wrote:
It's a 1983 Corolla sedan. Looks to be in IMMACULATE condition from the pictures I've gotten from the gentleman.

Yeah, it is a clean car but, sports car -> four door???? Do you really need to ask (unless you have kids)????

nihonnotekko wrote:
it's an AUTOMATIC!!!

The only three words worse than saying, "I love you" (cue in theme music from James Bond). Kiss of death for me, ESPECIALLY for a JNC hobby car (unless it was something like an LS400).

nihonnotekko wrote:
I love the 5 speed in my RX-7, and I'm a little iffy on going back to a slushbox.

Everyone is different but I wouldn't do it...



I've got love for all body styles. :tu: I was thinking it's be a better friend hauler, and although it's an auto...it's still RWD. I actually got to see the car today, and I think I'll pass. I just wasn't "feeling" the car. It didn't give off the right vibes for me like my RX did when I first went to see it. I'll just have to see what the Honda can do for me. Hopefully it'll tickle my fancy in the right way and I'll have a sweet new ride. :mrgreen:

The reason I'm selling BTW is the gas mileage I get with the RX. 8 MPG!!! Even though I'm a college kid with no obligations other than partying 'til dawn, I'll gladly take the ~30 MPG I'll get out of the Civic. (I'll be keeping it stock too. I can definitely appreciate a bone-stock, well-preserved car.)

_________________
zoom-zoom


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:17 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:36 pm
Posts: 336
Location: Coarsegold California (around fresno)
I love my corollas, but I wouldn't do this trade.
The e70's are a nice looking model, but not the 4 door. find a 2 door coupe and you will be 8). The autotragic in this car will make you depressed. It is a 3 speed literal "slush box". It will rob every ounce of power that the tiny 4a makes. you could convert the trans, but then you would want a better engine too. You might as well find what you want, because If you change a trans and or engine, you will take away the only thing it has going for it: its cleanliness and originality. Even if you do that, you would still have a 4 door sedan.

This sounds more like a rant, but I know from experience. Hope it helps.

_________________
See my 76 Corolla build: http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=19630


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:18 pm 

Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:45 am
Posts: 73
Location: Mauka
I like the 4 doors better.

Image
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:58 am
Posts: 9
Location: New Zealand
nihonnotekko wrote:
I actually got to see the car today, and I think I'll pass. I just wasn't "feeling" the car. It didn't give off the right vibes for me like my RX did when I first went to see it. I'll just have to see what the Honda can do for me. Hopefully it'll tickle my fancy in the right way and I'll have a sweet new ride. :mrgreen:

Nimpho to Nana, she's not likely to give you the 'Vibes' but nana will be faithful and cheap to maintain :P Come on man who would get the vibes from a Poo Brown (Going on pink) Old mans car

nihonnotekko wrote:
The reason I'm selling BTW is the gas mileage I get with the RX. 8 MPG!!! Even though I'm a college kid with no obligations other than partying 'til dawn, I'll gladly take the ~30 MPG I'll get out of the Civic. (I'll be keeping it stock too. I can definitely appreciate a bone-stock, well-preserved car.)

Both these options will be fuel efficient to an extreme compared with 8mpg, finding a buyer for your RX may be the issue to get into another car like one of these, they both look very tidy for their age. Would someone swap your RX for a Coupe?

Good Luck

_________________
Living the dream, driving the dream.
240Z, S30 260Z Classic Racer, B110, 510, RX7 S1 ,MX5 NA
On New Zealands uncrowded roads


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:04 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 6:38 am
Posts: 24
I don't know how common the FB series was stateside, but in aus they're getting thin on the ground. In terms of durability I understand the desire for something more economical and practical, but those things are like the 240z; they're a milestone car, and as such will hold value better, and like you said, they put a smile on your face. If the civic was the crx version it'd be a closer fight I think.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:58 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:47 am
Posts: 267
Location: TX
keep that rx7 and get an old cb or yamaha xs triple if you want better commuting gas mileage. or better yet, get an old cheap toyo pickup in addition to the rx and then you have a parts hauler/bike hauler/drunk friend hauler that makes puke cleanup easy.

i went from a 2 door to a 4 door because i always had friends that needed rides and fitting them across the tiny back seat in my s-chassis was getting old. as soon as i got a 4 door, nobody needed a ride so it effectively negated that reason. if you go with the corolla, it would be a shame to do anything that would subtract cool points for the awesome original condition it's in. i'd never be able to stop myself from doing some kind of swap and suspension and flares and the list goes on...

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
610nm Style by Daniel St. Jules of Gamexe.net