#
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:31 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]
 Post subject: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:02 pm 

Hey guys, I've got a tough decision here...

I've been offered a trade for my 1980 RX-7 (Here's my thread with pictures of it: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23571)

It's a 1983 Corolla sedan. Looks to be in IMMACULATE condition from the pictures I've gotten from the gentleman. I love the older Corollas, but....it's an AUTOMATIC!!! I love the 5 speed in my RX-7, and I'm a little iffy on going back to a slushbox. My question is, is the trade for this car worth it even though I'm missing out on rowing my own gears??? I feel like I'll miss it at first, but could get over it. On the other hand, I freakin' love a good manual.

What'cha think?

Cheers,
Nihonnotekko

Post subject: Re: Tough Decision
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:48 pm 

The Rolla does indeed look very minty!! :tu:
You could always swap in a manual box and fit slim chrome bumpers to make it absolutely awesome!! 8)

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:12 pm 

Keep the rx-7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:33 am 

I Vote: Corolla.

Put some aftermarket rims on it and that would make a great everyday car.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:52 am 

Is anybody familiar with the reliability of the 4th gen. Corollas? Especially with the auto-trans, I would reallllllly hate having to rebuild it frequently.

I also have another contender...

A '91 Civic hatch 4-speed manual. It's an all original car, no mods, AND...it comes with all it's original records.

Keep in mind, this next buy will be my daily driver to school and work.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:23 am 

nihonnotekko wrote:
It's a 1983 Corolla sedan. Looks to be in IMMACULATE condition from the pictures I've gotten from the gentleman.

Yeah, it is a clean car but, sports car -> four door???? Do you really need to ask (unless you have kids)????

nihonnotekko wrote:
it's an AUTOMATIC!!!

The only three words worse than saying, "I love you" (cue in theme music from James Bond). Kiss of death for me, ESPECIALLY for a JNC hobby car (unless it was something like an LS400).

nihonnotekko wrote:
I love the 5 speed in my RX-7, and I'm a little iffy on going back to a slushbox.

Everyone is different but I wouldn't do it...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:45 am 

keep the rx7. there is no other answer to this question.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:20 pm 

Stevester wrote:
nihonnotekko wrote:
It's a 1983 Corolla sedan. Looks to be in IMMACULATE condition from the pictures I've gotten from the gentleman.

Yeah, it is a clean car but, sports car -> four door???? Do you really need to ask (unless you have kids)????

nihonnotekko wrote:
it's an AUTOMATIC!!!

The only three words worse than saying, "I love you" (cue in theme music from James Bond). Kiss of death for me, ESPECIALLY for a JNC hobby car (unless it was something like an LS400).

nihonnotekko wrote:
I love the 5 speed in my RX-7, and I'm a little iffy on going back to a slushbox.

Everyone is different but I wouldn't do it...

I've got love for all body styles. :tu: I was thinking it's be a better friend hauler, and although it's an auto...it's still RWD. I actually got to see the car today, and I think I'll pass. I just wasn't "feeling" the car. It didn't give off the right vibes for me like my RX did when I first went to see it. I'll just have to see what the Honda can do for me. Hopefully it'll tickle my fancy in the right way and I'll have a sweet new ride. :mrgreen:

The reason I'm selling BTW is the gas mileage I get with the RX. 8 MPG!!! Even though I'm a college kid with no obligations other than partying 'til dawn, I'll gladly take the ~30 MPG I'll get out of the Civic. (I'll be keeping it stock too. I can definitely appreciate a bone-stock, well-preserved car.)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:17 pm 

I love my corollas, but I wouldn't do this trade.
The e70's are a nice looking model, but not the 4 door. find a 2 door coupe and you will be 8). The autotragic in this car will make you depressed. It is a 3 speed literal "slush box". It will rob every ounce of power that the tiny 4a makes. you could convert the trans, but then you would want a better engine too. You might as well find what you want, because If you change a trans and or engine, you will take away the only thing it has going for it: its cleanliness and originality. Even if you do that, you would still have a 4 door sedan.

This sounds more like a rant, but I know from experience. Hope it helps.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:18 pm 

I like the 4 doors better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:57 pm 

nihonnotekko wrote:
I actually got to see the car today, and I think I'll pass. I just wasn't "feeling" the car. It didn't give off the right vibes for me like my RX did when I first went to see it. I'll just have to see what the Honda can do for me. Hopefully it'll tickle my fancy in the right way and I'll have a sweet new ride. :mrgreen:

Nimpho to Nana, she's not likely to give you the 'Vibes' but nana will be faithful and cheap to maintain :P Come on man who would get the vibes from a Poo Brown (Going on pink) Old mans car

nihonnotekko wrote:
The reason I'm selling BTW is the gas mileage I get with the RX. 8 MPG!!! Even though I'm a college kid with no obligations other than partying 'til dawn, I'll gladly take the ~30 MPG I'll get out of the Civic. (I'll be keeping it stock too. I can definitely appreciate a bone-stock, well-preserved car.)

Both these options will be fuel efficient to an extreme compared with 8mpg, finding a buyer for your RX may be the issue to get into another car like one of these, they both look very tidy for their age. Would someone swap your RX for a Coupe?

Good Luck

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:04 am 

I don't know how common the FB series was stateside, but in aus they're getting thin on the ground. In terms of durability I understand the desire for something more economical and practical, but those things are like the 240z; they're a milestone car, and as such will hold value better, and like you said, they put a smile on your face. If the civic was the crx version it'd be a closer fight I think.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:58 am 

keep that rx7 and get an old cb or yamaha xs triple if you want better commuting gas mileage. or better yet, get an old cheap toyo pickup in addition to the rx and then you have a parts hauler/bike hauler/drunk friend hauler that makes puke cleanup easy.

i went from a 2 door to a 4 door because i always had friends that needed rides and fitting them across the tiny back seat in my s-chassis was getting old. as soon as i got a 4 door, nobody needed a ride so it effectively negated that reason. if you go with the corolla, it would be a shame to do anything that would subtract cool points for the awesome original condition it's in. i'd never be able to stop myself from doing some kind of swap and suspension and flares and the list goes on...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 13 posts ]