#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:59 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]
 Post subject: 2TC trivia: name that part
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:13 pm 

pulled oil pan off my engine for the first time and found these two semi rings laying at the bottom. hoping that they are associated with the oil pump but could not see where they would have gone. anyone have any ideas?

and here is the engine in question

Post subject: Re: 2TC trivia: name that part
PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:11 pm 

Those are thrust washers,defiantly want to inspect the bottom end .

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:20 pm 

thanks for the reply. I am not much of an engine guy which is why I threw this out there. I looked in my haynes manual and found the reference to the thrust washer and it looks like it sits on one side of the center bearing on the crankshaft. two questions: why would these have come off and what will it take to get these back in place. I am really trying to put off the engine rebuilding phase until this car is rebuilt and back on the road. any additional info would be greatly appreciated. and now one more question..what are the ramifications of these washers being gone. this engine runs and idles very nice...I have only put 20 or so miles on it prior to dismantling.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:49 pm 

Honestly you could have some serious wear issues either on the block/main bearing cap assembly and the crankshaft. As for driving without them I would highly recommend not too. Thrust bearing wear is usually caused by transmission thrust forces ie improper clutch free play, dropping the clutch, riding the clutch etc....And with automatics hard shifts due to trans wear, improper cooling, excessive torque converter pressures etc...Was the engine rebuilt ? Could also have been poor crankshaft surfaces. The more you drive it the more damage will occur, sounds like it needs to come apart :(

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:13 pm 

They stop the crank from floating sideways and are critical to prevent engine damage.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:38 pm 

thanks again for the info...this car was last registered on the streets in '88 and used as a ranch car until the late 90's....the guy I bought this car from first started driving it around the ranch at age 12 so who knows what kind of shifting skills he had. the car probably never went over 50 mph for its last 12 years of being driven....but all miles were off road and rough. engine has 88k original miles. obviously smart move to do since the engine is out is to take it in and have a complete rebuild done and if that is going to happen than I am looking at 3TC rods, larger pistons and a slight cam. did not want to eat that expense now but looks like I have no choice. thanks again for the info...helps me in getting it put back together correctly the first time.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:42 pm 

Anytime. good luck with the build!!

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 5:03 pm 

spoke with randy and BRD racing and based on the thrust washers laying in the oil pan, he pretty much gave my engine the death sentence. It is rebuildable but with all the ????? I am not going to waste my time and money with this engine right now.....damn shame cause the engine truly only has 83k on it. Option B is to have BRD build me an engine and unless I can talk myself out of it, I will be getting the 200HP version 3TC. going to get that ball rolling next week. 6-8 weeks to build and a couple weeks of shipping. kind of excited about it.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:21 pm 

Just dismantle the engine and check if in special the pistons are not worn with sides in thrust direction of cilinder walls. If those thrust washers where out for a long time those parts are worn. If not then i guess a rebuild could be done. I know these engines are very strong.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 8:56 pm 

thanks for the input. I will be looking into getting this engine rebuilt, just not for this car. I am going to put out the extra cash and get a known good, high power engine from a known builder. I want this car to be top notch from the bottom up...time will tell if i achieve that.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:36 am 

Just curious: did you measure the crank endplay? Perhaps those are just parts the last builder replaced and left them in the pan or forgot to discard or didn't see just sitting in the pan?

It would seem with that much endplay, your revs would die every time you engaged the clutch at idle.

Some 1999-2000 Miata (search: "#4 thrust bearing" on Miata.net) suffer from a known thrust bearing problem and the symptoms were excessive endplay and revs dropping drastically when the clutch was engaged at idle.

You might want to check before rebuilding or replacing the engine.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:17 am 

I have not dug too deeply into this yet. not being much of a mechanic, I have not been able to figure out how to get the flywheel off while engine is on the stand. engine turns freely while trying to unlock the flywheel bolt....how do you lock the engine down to get this bolt off. knowing the history of this car, it is highly unlikely that any serious engine work had ever been done, when I pulled the oil pan off, it was probably the first time in the cars life. I have a few different options for which path to take on the engine issue.....one of the two variations of professional rebuilds from BRD, just focus on this engine and I even was offered a 2TG this past weekend. whichever I choose, this engine will get reborn at some point.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 12 posts ]