#
It is currently Wed Jan 28, 2015 3:31 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Corolla KE35SR - full restoration project - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:51 am 

Hi,

Last year I've acquired Japanese Classic I always wanted to have - Corolla KE 35 in SR version (3K-B engine with twin carbs).

Car has a very interesting history - it was produced in 08/77 in Takaoka on dedicated assembly line and then exported to Austria, Europe. It had two owners in Austria - from '77 to '94 it was driven in Austrian Alps close to Innsbruck, then it was sold to its second owner in Vienna where it was used for two years until '96. Then it was purchased by an Austrian Toyota collector who had a plan to open a local museum of classic Toyota's (he has approx 150 cars in various locations including Corollas, Crowns, Coronas, Cresidas and many many more, full variety of options and evolutions). Unfortunately his plan did not succeed and most of the cars spend approx 20 yrs not touched, not fired once in a barn covered with thick layer of dust from the top and heavily damaged from the bottom with rust as they were standing on ground.

My car had some rust issues but it was complete including all decos and i.e. caution plates in engine room with Japanese instructions.

Still in 2014 I have began full restoration project. I've already gone through body works, now it is being prepared for painting and conservation. As works are progressing list of needed spare parts is building on. In my part of the world it is impossible to find most of what I need so I do hope this JNC family could help.

What I'm in search of is:
- set of bode seals (weatherstrips) - including from and back glass weatherstrips, left and right doors weatherstrips, left and right divider glass seals, trunk and hood seals - THESE are all top priority as will need them first once paint job is done
- chrome inlays for the front and back weatherstrip
- 3K-B engine set of gaskets

Other items I'm interested in are:
- trunk mat - mine is in pieces
- rubber shifting hole rubber
- original standard tool set including jack
- caution plates for the engine room - it may happen that once I ave there will not be possible to rescue
- any paper work related to my car - i.e. user's manual, folders or leaflets from the time and so on

Thank you in advance for any help or direction you may share with me.

If you have any additional question please ask, happy to answer.

Best,
Mroov

Last edited by Mroov on Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Corolla KE35SR - full restoration project - help needed
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:08 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

-OK sounds interesting. 8)

-Can you post some pics. of your car and any of the others yotas that were in the barn? :tu:

-Seals www.rarespares.au and Ebay for other Etc.. :idea:
W---->N.Y.,U.S.A.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:37 pm 

Thank you for the link to Rare Spares in AU - unfortunately it is not an option for me - I have been trying to get some info from them but they have never ever responded to me. I have been talking to some of their customers - conclusion is they are hard to deal with and very expensive so not very willing to work with them.

I have spent loads of time on Ebay and other services - found some items located in Thailand but I have doubts about its quality - do you have any experience sourcing spares there? These are mainly aftermarket local productions, not a new-old stock if I'm correct.

Do, any of you, have any sources you have used before or know they are ok? I need to get these weatherstrips soon.

Thank you in advance!

Can't post any pics from the barn - that was one of the requirements of the collector and I want to keep the promise, hope you understand.

Please find below some pics of my Toyota - pics were made last CY when it got off loaded from a transporter. Since that time it has gone through body work and now is in paint preps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/con29w4mgolnmy9/IMG_0102.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8njg9a6lg766j1s/IMG_0050.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wjo74y7i4wge4wg/IMG_0060%202.JPG?dl=0

Best,
Mroov

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:49 pm 

Looks like a good starting point.

Will it be painted in original color ?

What is the colorcode ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:28 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

-You wont get NOS rubber seals. :tu:

-The Ebay ones are the main option,I have not heard any bad things. :idea:

-Do you need to replace the round plastic window track guides?

-Your pics. look good.I have never noticed the rubber end caps on the front bumper ends before.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:08 pm 

Yeah Rare spares are never my first choice - they have local offices here but they're expensive and honestly, the parts are the same quality as the eBay reproduction stuff, probably from the same factory in fact.

I've heard good things about the Thailand produced stuff from the TA22 guys - no fit issues or quality problems to my knowledge.

Best bet is to sign up on toymods.org forums and have a good search through the members rides on there - plenty of KE55 restomods have been done so someone will have a lead somewhere - also try on the facebook, asides from the toymods page there are a lot of Celica/Corolla groups out there with buy and sell threads. The one thing I have noted however is that a lot of the stuff advertised as NOS is actually just cleaned and painted secondhand stuff or reproduced plastic - basically I wouldn't pay a fortune for something advertised as original unless I had it in my hand and the guy had a warehouse full of decaying TEQ boxes because you never know until you get a close look.

There was a guy in Luxembourg who had a shed/farm full of toyotas - probably close to 300 in fact. I'll try track down the link

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:28 am 

tojo wrote:
[...] Will it be painted in original color ? What is the colorcode ?

Yes, I'm keeping everything original or as close to original as possible - color code is Toyota's 336 - Orange Red. In above pictures it is very pale and washy.

whit wrote:
-You wont get NOS rubber seals. :tu: -The Ebay ones are the main option,I have not heard any bad things. :idea: [...]

Thought so, do you or anybody you know have any experience with given Ebay seller? Would like to use a verified one :D

whit wrote:
-Do you need to replace the round plastic window track guides?

-Your pics. look good.I have never noticed the rubber end caps on the front bumper ends before.

Not sure what do you mean by 'window track guides' :oops: could you please explain? thanks

Pseudonym wrote:
Yeah Rare spares are never my first choice - they have local offices here but they're expensive and honestly, the parts are the same quality as the eBay reproduction stuff, probably from the same factory in fact.

So it seams that is has to be the real thing with issues with Rare Spares :td:

Pseudonym wrote:
I've heard good things about the Thailand produced stuff from the TA22 guys - no fit issues or quality problems to my knowledge.

Do you have any verified source in Thailand?

Pseudonym wrote:
Best bet is to sign up on toymods.org forums and have a good search through the members rides on there - [...]

Will do so, thanks!

Best,
Mroov

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:08 am 

The thai seals are poor in my experience. But there are few other options. You best bet is to keep a very close lookout on Yahoo Japan It is extremely unlikely you will find Genuine Toyota anywhere else.

AE86 Levin GT
KE15 Sprinter SL
TE27 Levin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:04 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

*****There was a guy in Luxembourg who had a shed/farm full of toyotas - probably close to 300 in fact. I'll try track down the link****THREE HUNDRED TOYOTAS***** :shock: {link plz.}

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:05 pm 

parrot wrote:
The thai seals are poor in my experience. But there are few other options. You best bet is to keep a very close lookout on Yahoo Japan It is extremely unlikely you will find Genuine Toyota anywhere else.

What other options do you mean? Please share.

Regarding Yahoo - do you mean Yahoo Shopping? http://shopping.yahoo.co.jp/category/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:17 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

https://www.rinkya.com/en/front

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:40 pm 

whit wrote:
*****There was a guy in Luxembourg who had a shed/farm full of toyotas - probably close to 300 in fact. I'll try track down the link****THREE HUNDRED TOYOTAS***** :shock: {link plz.}

https://www.flickr.com/photos/117621443@N04/sets/

I can't find the original post, that was in my email - he was on Classic Toyota or Classic Crown or something on facebook, was getting rid of a few cars to make space.

The other guy you could try get in touch with is theunstated on here - he got my Mk2 seals, not sure if through thai factory or not, but they look to be good quality and he's had success using them so perhaps that factory also does corolla seals.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:20 am 

Thanks! I've reached out to 'theunstated'.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 4:26 am 

The few other options are yahoo japan auctions via a bidding service such as rinkya, but there are many other services. Or maybe Garage Toyota in Spain. Google the latter.

Joel at Toyosport in the US gets bad press, but a few years back I got some rare genuine TE27 boot seals from him in a very smooth trade. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

There are a few part supply companies that source parts direct from Toyota Japan or UAE. I use Amayama. I have plugged the part numbers in for the front and rear screen seals, and surprisingly the listing comes up. BUT, that does not necessarily mean they are available. You need to submit a query and they check actual availability for you. Often, despite the listing coming up, the parts are in fact no longer available. But it doesn't cost anything to put a query in.

Front screen seal 56121-12140 $USD 116.98

Rear screen seal 64812-12120 $USD109.18 from Japan or $USD68.20 from UAE.

Be aware if you request Japan stock and it is NLA, they do not automatically check UAE stock.

Good luck. I have been sourcing parts for years and it is a lot of hard detective work and chasing sources.

Largely it is persistence and luck

AE86 Levin GT
KE15 Sprinter SL
TE27 Levin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:47 am 

Created an inquiry to Amayama - interesting to see what do they respond with.

Do you have any mail contact for Toyosport in US? Is it the one in Tulsa? Was trying to Google for Garage Toyota in Spain but results I'm getting are Toyota Spain - I was already in contact with Toyota and they were not willing to help.

Also spent some time on Rinkya yesterday - did find two interesting items but found it impossible to ask seller a question. Found the item directly on Yahoo Japan Auctions but to be able to ask a question would have to open an account on Japan Yahoo - what was not possible as was not able to read security question written with Japanese characters (page translator is not translating security questions :idea: ). Have you been able to ask seller a question via Rinkya?

Best,
Mroov

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:01 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

You have to be rinkya member and then questions would be tough.
You gotta know what your looking at and bid.
I've done well on there in the past.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 5:02 pm 

So you just failed your first test on the quest to find these parts! Have to try harder than that!! The garage toyota guy is the eBay guy from Spain. Prices can be eye watering at times.

http://www.garagetoyota.com

Toyota themselves will not be interested so you are wasting your time there. It's unlikely they will even have the parts books and your model will not appear on the EPC.

Cabe toyota in the US have a well deserved reputation for taking an interest in old model parts supply.

Toysport you will have to search around for.

In Australia I use importmonster for yahoo searching and buying. If I have a question, they ask it for me. They charge commission etc but provide excellent service. You need to find someone like that.

AE86 Levin GT
KE15 Sprinter SL
TE27 Levin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:37 pm 

The seals offered currently on yahoo by dxgft567 are not genuine. If you look closely, you will see the print on the bag says Toyota General Parts rather than Toyota Genuine Parts. He states they are aftermarket in the description. These are also sold by some of the Thai ebay sellers.

I would also suggest you have a look at www.rollaclub.com

Largely Australian based where KE35's were reasonably common so a possible source of second hand parts. We have the same problems accessing parts as you do!

AE86 Levin GT
KE15 Sprinter SL
TE27 Levin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:21 am 

whit wrote:
You have to be rinkya member and then questions would be tough.
You gotta know what your looking at and bid.
I've done well on there in the past.

I know what I'm looking for that's why I need to ask question to get some clarification :D - wouldn't buy anything without contact with seller. I do have an account with rinkya but still find it impossible to ask seller or rinkya question.

parrot wrote:
[...]The garage toyota guy is the eBay guy from Spain. Prices can be eye watering at times.

There is one more guy from Spain on EBay - his name is 'vandamr6sr' but please be careful as he tends to be very rude and hard to do business with.

Also came across some Thai based auctions - of course seals are aftermarket (Toyota General Parts) but they have on offer set: front + rear + trunk + doors - 5pcs set at acceptable price.

Regarding Toyota - I got another type of proposal from them once the car is ready.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:08 am 

Just got an answer from Amayama - 'none available, all discontinued'. Well, it is not a surprise it is discontinued, pity they show availability which is not real. Keep on searching.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 21 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next