#
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:19 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]
 Post subject: fellow california JNC'ers....question on VIN verification
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:24 pm 

looking for someone with actual experience dealing with DMV as it pertains to VIN verification. My SR5 has not been registered since '85. went to DMV yesterday to non-op it and they need me to get the VIN verified. My concern is with the 2T block serial number on the 2TG which will eventually be the final motor. from what I can tell the serial number from the original '74 2tc is so much lower in number than the 2tg 2t block that I am assuming that it is a early '80's block. once the VIN verification form is submitted to the DMV how much investigation do they do to verify the engine's manufacture date. I have heard and read that if you put a 1985 motor into a 1974 vehicle, you are subjected to 1985 smog standards....you need to smog the vehicle.
I am actually thinking of putting the original 2TC into the car just to get the VIN verified and than pull it back out. If I do this, once I go for final registration, do they re-verify the engine SN as well as vehicle VIN. and I know I may get many varied responses because it all depends on who you get and what kind of sex they had the night before. I am just looking for anyone who has had to deal with Ca. DMV regarding this matter. I do not want to swap engines in and out a couple times if I dont have to.....I also am a person who likes sure odds....if I have to do that to guarantee success in keeping this SR5 a non-smog vehicle, than I will do it. Hoping to get some form of feedback.

Post subject: Re: fellow california JNC'ers....question on VIN verificatio
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:29 pm 

In my previous experiences they are looking for at least two vin locations dash, door, firewall or vin plate to verify the car is not stolen or a different car.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:32 am 

yep...I understand that. my question is how deep of investigation do they do to verify the engines' year of manufacture.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:45 pm 

Unless it's salvage i don't think they look at the engine. If it where to need to pass smog inspection then your engine series would be an inspection concern

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:07 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Scott,

I would load up the SR5 and go down to AAA, they can verify (dash, door plate, engine plate or the firewall) the car against the pink slip.

If they happen to ask about the engine not being installed, tell them you are in the process of getting it restored that is why engine is not installed and the reason you want to put it on non-op is because it will take you lot longer then you had initially thought.

done it many times with zero problems :tu:

For added insurance you can take the original 2tc with you (not installed) just to show them that you do have the original engine. (I doubt if they will be able to verify what car that engine belongs to)

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 5 posts ]