#
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:13 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Desperately seekign CORONA GT owners (NOT THE GTT)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:10 pm 

Here is my ride

http://www.hemmings.com/users/146911/ride/863.html

Here is the link to an RT104 GT in Japan

http://wasabicars.com/car.html?view=116-corona-2000-gt

Owning an orphan is turning out to be quite an issue

The reason I own this car is basically that the people of the day didn't want to know about these cars

Imported into Australia as an "evaluation vehicle" Toyota AMI decided not to offer the twin cam Corona 2000GT in this country for reasons only known to themselves at the time. I obtained the car by fortuitus luck in 1976 some 30 years ago. I became engaged to be married in November 1976, got the car and then got the girl. 30 years on still have the car and still married to the girl. Searching the internet does not reveal any 1974 Rt104's around. There is an RT114 coupe for sale in Japan and a blue RT122. But for all intents and purposes, this car is more of an orphan now than back in 1976.

Post subject: Re: Desperately seekign CORONA GT owners (NOT THE GTT)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:31 pm 

Evaluation cars were not uncommon. I suspect it was simply a way for the AMI general manager to get to drive around in interesting cars. None of them ever ended up being sold here.

AE86 Levin GT
KE15 Sprinter SL
TE27 Levin

Post subject: Re: Desperately seekign CORONA GT owners (NOT THE GTT)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:18 pm 

Very nice - wouldn't surprise me if that's the only one in aus, seems the Celica was popular enough to warrant large volumes but every other toyota of that gen is quite scarce. If there is another in Aus there's a chance bnicho on toymods will know of it - he's another corona fan, used to have a mint RT112 coupe in melbourne I think it was.

I take it you saw the 114 Coupe Iron Chef had up on their Facebook the other day? I have seen a RT104 Coupe before on there as well but few years ago, they're very thin on the ground and the 2000GT probably only remain in museums or private collections.

What differences have you found between that and the standard 104? Body looks similar, if it's 18RG powered there will be spares around from the Celicas unless they ran a unique carb setup. Perhaps talk to Toyota see if they can chase the VIN for NOS?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]