#
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:38 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: 69 RT72 Corona Mark 2 1900SL
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:12 am 

So this is the other ride I had up here, which was lost in last month's time travel hiccup - I'll just re-up the photos and fill in the brief blurb, there's a lot less to tell with this one; hopefully that'll change soon as there's only a couple more jobs to do to my NX Coupe before licensing, and my old Holden is now unregistered so the rush to patch that up is over - the downside was I had to buy another horrid holden wagon to commute so there goes a big chunk of change that could've gone towards one of these.

I bought this in 2010 purely because I'd never seen one before and it wasn't nearly as dilapidated as my RA23, also I had plenty of disposable income at the time at not many overheads so I guess it was a bit of an impulse buy I could just never bear to sell off. As far as I know it was an Australian sold RT72 corona hardtop, I originally thought it was an import as the speedo is in mph but it has a Sydney based dealer stock number plate in the engine bay so not sure how that fits, but anyway, the guy I got it from had bought it as is, and apparently a few people before that had done likewise. A RT112 coupe owner on the toymods forum filled us in on the details he learned when it was originally for sale; where ever it originally came from, around the 2000 mark a naval sailor restored it and resprayed it, rebuilt the 18R and gave it slotted discs, lower springs, some sort of weber carb up, extractors, MSD ignition system and electric water pump. Apparently it was complete and he was selling it back in 05 as he was being sent on tour overseas. The only major problems are the rust in the roof, and a hole in the rear lower quarter - from the look of the paint damage on the roof somebody didn't prep properly and moisture got underneath. There's another section not pictured where the rust progressed to the weather sill which is going to be a biatch to plate up :/

The original plan was to keep it dead OEM and historic rego it as a weekend car but as rare as the old girl is it's probably not the only one left, and the SL is by no means a GSS which are the real rarities, so I'll likely do a bit of modification. I'm by no means a toyota engine expert, but what'll probably wind up happening is the RA23 will get a 4A of some sort and the 18R-G currently in there will get dropped into this one. It's double wishbone front and leaf live rear so I'm not pushing anything too extreme, just a bit of tweaking whilst keeping reasonably period and manufacturer correct.

And this is the time and water damage, has slowly gotten a bit worse since then but that's the worst of it.

Post subject: Re: 69 RT72 Corona Mark 2 1900SL
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:34 am 

:shock: :tu: GSS or not. Thats a beauty right there. Heck, that one and the other one you posted are sweet.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:06 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Very cool indeed!! 8)
Love those rakish lines...

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno 1600GT Sprinter (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:48 am 

Jealous!!!!! Your Toyota coupes are just too beautiful

80 Mazda RX-7 10th Anniversary Edition- 30,000 original miles, for sale. PM me.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]