It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:42 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 103 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: '77 TE61 Trueno Sprinter 1600GT - JDM
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:17 am 

Hey everyone!

Please check out my poll:
http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=23332
and help me choose the best set of 13" alloys for my Trueno...

Thx!! :tu:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:56 am 

Time for another update...

Thx for all the votes in my alloy wheel poll. :wink: Though honestly I still haven't made up my mind yet. Just too many cool options out there. But I do think I will end up with a set og 6 x 13" Watanabe's - probably in gold. 8)

Anyway, I've only owned the Trueno for about two and half months now, and honestly it's been mostly about driving her and enjoying it to the fullest! :D But it's also become more and more clear to me just how good this little corker is. She just hasn't put a foot wrong so far...
Yet, she is of course 36 years old and there's always going to be something to improve. For example, a previous owner had been a bit too generous when applying underseal and had splattered it all over the lower half of the sills and up the rear valance. Just didn't look very tidy and the black underseal on the sides of the rear valance was really ruining the sleek coupe lines. So I started cleaning it all off - what a pig of a job! :td: And then of course I found three small rust bubbles just starting to poke their nasty little head out!! One in each sill where there's a join below the door and one behind the right rear wheel. Well rather than cry about it, I figured I might as well sort it out now rather than let it get any worse. Got it sanded down and then the Trueno went to a painter out in Yuen Long who's really good at matching colours.
Here's the result:

Front valance.

Left sill seen from behind.

Rear valance looks like new again!

Right sill seen from the front.

I've applied some Waxoil through the small holes in the sills for future rust protection.
Now I just need to source some new plastic clips to re-fit the trim along the sills again.
Next up I'm having new decals fabricated for the sides of the Trueno. The black ones on the car where not the originals, so I'm having a set of red decals fabricated from the pics in period Trueno brochures. I like the thought of them looking original again and I also think a bit of red will spice up the looks. 8)
Stay tuned for more...

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:20 am 

Argh.... sometimes things just won't play ball.... :roll:

The guy fabricating the new red decals to run along the lower side of the car keeps messing it up. His third attempt should be finished tomorrow, so fingers crossed they will be right this time.

And I also can't find any new plastic clips for the sill trim. They're slightly tapered and I just can't find a match anywhere. Can anyone help??

On the positive, the Momo I bought off ebay has arrived and is actually in better condition than I had dared hope for.
There's the odd little scuff here and there as you'd expect from a second hand steering wheel, but nothing that a little Liquid Leather can't solve.

Also got my brand new TOM's horn button sent all the way from the US. That should give the Momo a bit of a Jap twist to it, so it'll look at home in my Trueno...

Now I just need to source a hub which is as short as possible. It can't be any longer than 2", and if a shorter one exists that would be even better, as I don't want the Momo any closer to me than the standard wheel already is.
The hunt is on... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:11 am 

What a great machine. Very jealous over here...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:28 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

02Anders wrote:
Argh.... sometimes things just won't play ball.... :roll:

The guy fabricating the new red decals to run along the lower side of the car keeps messing it up. His third attempt should be finished tomorrow, so fingers crossed they will be right this time.

And I also can't find any new plastic clips for the sill trim. They're slightly tapered and I just can't find a match anywhere. Can anyone help??

On the positive, the Momo I bought off ebay has arrived and is actually in better condition than I had dared hope for.
There's the odd little scuff here and there as you'd expect from a second hand steering wheel, but nothing that a little Liquid Leather can't solve.

Also got my brand new TOM's horn button sent all the way from the US. That should give the Momo a bit of a Jap twist to it, so it'll look at home in my Trueno...

Now I just need to source a hub which is as short as possible. It can't be any longer than 2", and if a shorter one exists that would be even better, as I don't want the Momo any closer to me than the standard wheel already is.
The hunt is on... :wink:

Paint work looks very clean and you can never go wrong with Tom's :tu:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:34 am 

Looking good! I really like how clean the paint is :mrgreen: .

We have a momo steering wheel to. I love it, much better than the original :tu:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:28 pm 

Mmmmmmm, looks awesome. :tu:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:00 pm 

The moulding clips you refer to.

My part book only goes up to TE47, but I would presume the clip is the same.

The part number is 75867-12010 Quantity 8

Looking on Amayama, they come up ex Japan at $USD 2.36 each. also ex UAE at $USD 0.82 each

The fact that they come up is no guarantee that they are actually available. But worth getting on to Amayama and trying. They will get back to you with availability within a few days. Try to avoid UAE stock as it is sent DHL which significantly ramps up the postage cost.

Or if you have a friendly dealer you could try them. In my experience, amayama are very good.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:46 am 

Thx to all of you for your kind words. :D

Oracles & HakosukaBE, I must confess that I'm really happy with the painter I used out in Yuen Long. He's done an amazing job! It really doesn't matter from which weird angle you look at it or in which light, it is utterly impossible to see even a trace of it having been blown in. And also, I now believe that I can safely say that my Trueno is about as rustfree as any 36 year old car is ever going to be. Originally coming from Denmark where the weather makes us classic car enthusiasts fear rust more than anything else, that's a pretty comforting thought. :D

Parrot, the depth of your knowledge has me in awe... :tu:
Thx for your input!!
I would agree that it would seem natural if the TE47 and TE61 shared the same sill trim and thereby of course also the same plastic clips for fastening it to the body.
If just put an inquiry in on Amayama. Fingers crossed... :wink:

Other than that, today's been a bit of a rollercoaster...
Believe it or not, the shop doing the new decals managed some how to screw it up for the third f***ing time!! :evil: How the h*ll is that even possible?? Bloody imbeciles...
I've now asked another shop if the can do the job for me. I'm bringing the Trueno to their shop on the 27th.

On a more positive note, I found a NOS Momo hub (or boss) today which was a slim 2 inches and a perfect fit on my Trueno! :P Also bought some leather conditioner, so spending the evening getting the steering wheel looking it's best, and then it'll go into the Trueno tomorrow.

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:34 am 

Another day of mixed feelings...

Sadly Amayama came back to me and said that the clips I had requested for the sill trim were no longer available. :(
So I'm back to square one here...

A bit of a long shot, but I dipped into Crown Motors - the official Toyota importer/dealer here in Hong Kong - and found some young bloke in the Spare Parts Department. I explained to him that I owned a Toyota that he would have most likely never seen - let alone heard of!! - before, and that I needed some spares for it. We went out and had a look at my TE61 - I couldn't quite make out what he's facial expression was trying to tell me, but I think it was a mix of being utterly perplexed and sheer joy!! :lol: :lol:
Anyway, he seemed quite keen to help, so I handed him a note with various bits and bobs that I would like for the Trueno - amongst others of course the clips for the sill trim. I'm not exactly holding my breath on this one, but maybe...?? Let's see how it goes...

But to finish off on a high, when I got back home Christmas had clearly come early :D , because a small box of NOS goodies had finally arrived from Garage Toyota in Spain.

I'm especially excited about the new oil cap, which should look awesome once I get around to painting the valve cover. 8) The correct radiator cap will be a nice improvement too though. And a set of new rubber hoses along with a new water temp. sensor is always a good thing on any old car.

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:37 pm 

If you know part numbers of things, try amayama first, as Garage Toyota can be significantly priced over what Toyota charge. It is often surprising what they do have, and it costs nothing to enquire. Garage Toyota has significantly lifted his game however, especially when it comes to postage costs.

Another option for your clips is Bill Thompson

http://www.autorubbers.com.au/products.htm

In Australia but does ship. Don't just rely on his catalogue. Send him a query with all possible info, and he may well surprise you.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:23 pm 

Once again Parrot, your knowledge and help is just awesome! :D Thx mate.
I'll get straight on to Bill Thompson...
And how do I best search for the part number of a specific part that I need? Is there somewhere online I can do that, or do I need to find some old parts catalog on ebay?

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:35 am 

You need to find a Master Parts catalog. I got mine off a guy locally who found a pile of them at the tip.

Problem you may face is that the Levin Trueno's often don't appear in totality within a general TE6x Master catalog, being generally a Japan specific model. Some things do, some things don't. You would probably expect to find a KE/TE5x - 6x book. Another possibility is a set of microfiche, but then you have the hassle of finding/storing a fiche reader.

And unfortunately the TE6x series don't appear in toyodiy.

I also spend a lot of time keeping a photo library of assorted TE27 and KE15 parts I find on yahoo for future reference.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Corol ... 19e60418fd

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Toyota-Corol ... 4acdbb8c3f

May be useful

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:21 am 

hmmmm... I wonder if the CD copies of the EPC are still around... that would likely have the xE6x models included

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 12:11 pm 

I also just received A new Oil cap from Garage Toyota :-)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:21 pm 

Thx for the input guys! :D
Parrot, I'll definitely be purchasing at least one of those two parts catalogs.
I'm sure it'll make the search for parts a bit easier in the future...
As of yet, still no result on finding those plastic clips though.

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:40 am 

That is one sick ride, love the headlights on that especially. 2T-G is awesome motor.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:42 pm 

Btw.

I don't have any Extra tools for your original tool set, but i Will look out for spares to your set 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:51 pm 

Kanaric wrote:
That is one sick ride, love the headlights on that especially. 2T-G is awesome motor.

Thx! :D It's funny you say that, cause when I first saw this little Trueno, it was really those cool fared-in headlights and the charismatic little twincam that totally stole my heart...

KustomS wrote:
Btw.

I don't have any Extra tools for your original tool set, but i Will look out for spares to your set 8)

No worries. Thx for looking though...
I'm sure I'll find the correct missing tools one day.

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:12 am 

Interestingly, one of the rollaclub guys has noticed that if you look on toyodiy under "other" or "USA" that corolla's from ke30 come up, including:
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/q_G_1980_T ... _TE47.html

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 103 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next