#
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:25 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: Lowering springs for TE47 & TE61
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 1:21 am 

Want to get my newly acquired TE61 a bit closer to the ground.
Now I know the live rear axle is super easy to lower a bit just by adding a small plate either side where the axle is mounted in order to move the axle up closer to the body. But what about the front axle?? Does anyone produce a decent set of lowering springs I can use on the front?? Would ideally like to lower the car about 1 inch or so.
All input much appreciated... :wink:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

Post subject: Re: Lowering springs for TE47 & TE61
PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:00 am 

I own a TE51 (which is almost identical to your car) and I am about to lower mine actually. I had a friend of mine shorten the stock casings, add coilover sleeves, and I will be running a shorter strut meant for an AE92. for the rear I will be running shorter Camaro shocks with 3 inch lowering blocks. i will take pics this weekend. if you don't have access to a welder, you could always just cut a coil or two out of your stock springs. it's not proper, but it works. you might want to also check out techno toy tuning (t3). they have coilovers and coilover kits for Corollas. most older Corolla spindles are the same, so TE31 ones would work. i'm not sure of any lowering springs though.

-Nick

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:54 am 

Thx for your input Nick. :D
Dunno... Thing is, my new TE61 is sooooo unmolested and original, that I feel compelled to keep her that way.
I don't really want to start messing about with a welder on the struts or fitting a modern coil-over kit.
Preferably I'd like to just lower it by a modest inch or so by fitting lowering blocks on the rear and a set of lowering springs up front. You're right about cutting springs not really being the correct way to go about it, but I might just go ahead and do that as an in-between-solution until I hopefully find a set of proper lowering springs on day...
Still, I'll keep an eye on your TE51 thread, and perhaps get inspired by the results of your lowering! :wink:

Anyone else with useful info on this subject, please speak up as the 4x4 look has just got to go!

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:18 am 

Okay, so seeing as my TE61 is of course based on the KE30 Corolla, would I perhaps be able to use one of these two sets of front springs to lower my JDM Trueno??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-COROLLA-KE-30-55-1975-1981-Lowered-King-Springs-KFFL-15-Front-/300950548178?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item46120ceed2&vxp=mtr

or maybe

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Corolla-KE-1975-1981-Front-Lowered-King-Springs-/380713035175?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58a443e5a7&vxp=mtr

Best Regards,
Anders.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:05 pm 

those lowering springs should work. you'd still have to get blocks for the rear.

I finally lowered my car. here's a little before and after so you can really see the difference:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:58 pm 

Obviously we all know it, but sometimes it still amazes me just how much the right stance does for a cars looks!
Not that there was ever any doubt that my Trueno needed to get a bit closer to the ground, but your pics certainly made it clear to me that I need to speed up the process. :wink:

I've written the guys selling those springs on ebay. Hopefully they'll be able to confirm beyond any doubt that the KE30 King springs will fit the front of my TE61 too.
Hmmm... guess I ought to get hold of some gas shock absorbers too now that I'm at it. Anyone ideas on which brand I should be looking for?

Best Regards,
Anders.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]