#
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 1:18 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]
 Post subject: MX32 1JZ help
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:30 pm 

Hello all I just recently joined the forum because 1 the sticker is on the back of my car so I thought I'd check it out and 2 because i was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few things.

Main concern:
My speedo doesn't work, I know the MX32 speedo is mechanical and my 1j is electronic but does anyone have experience with getting this to work? I'm using my phone currently and it's fine but I'd like to have my baby working properly. Does anyone know of a mechanical speedometer insert with a speed sensor off like an Mk3 or a jeep or something?

Post subject: Re: MX32 1JZ help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:48 am 

the speedo is driven off of a mechanical gear or a gear driven electrical sensor on the transmission, not the engine. you're thinking tach signal maybe? that's as simple as an MSD box.

help me out, post more information about your setup. what transmission are you using, and i'm assuming you have stock x3 gauges?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:18 pm 

lolumad wrote:
the speedo is driven off of a mechanical gear or a gear driven electrical sensor on the transmission, not the engine. you're thinking tach signal maybe? that's as simple as an MSD box.

help me out, post more information about your setup. what transmission are you using, and i'm assuming you have stock x3 gauges?

I will post pictures tomorrow when it's daylight but my setup is a 1jz VVTi and yes I do have stock gauges and I would like to keep them if at all possible

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:50 am 

vvti 1jz is the engine. what transmission are you using? what car did it come out of? do you have a linkage for the speedo cable coming out of it? should be on the passenger side and shaped like a brass elbow.

if it looks like this:

you have an electronic speed sensor and it needs to be properly wired... but as far as i know all x3 speedos are mechanical. so that's a non-starter.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:56 pm 

X3 speedos are mechanical and I'm running an R154 tranny. I don't know why I gave you the engine, I meant to put the tranny, just spaced. I'll take a look under the rig when I get home. I know the car was owned by someone on this forum I'm the past because I've seen pictures from a simple google search. Pictures up in a few hours. Thanks for the tip about looking for the brass elbow, I completely spaced that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:26 am 

no prob dude! you shouldn't have any issue getting your speedo working, a lot of junkyard cars have the setup you need, i used the elbow and cable from a w58 mkiii supra in my r154 x83.

i might have a spare elbow in my garage too if you need it. lmk.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:58 pm 

After you get the adapter and get the speedo to work, you will likely need a mechanical speedometer correction box to calibrate properly. You will need to calculate your correction (displayed speed vs. actual speed) and get the right ratio. Here is a link to a post about it, which also lists a Norcal shop that provides the service: http://www.yotatech.com/f116/mechanical ... cs-195986/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:49 am 

what final drive are you running OP? my setup is R154 through the open x8 3.91 diff and my wheel and tire specs are pretty close to the original rolling diameter. everything i can find online indicates that the x3 final drive is somewhere in that neighborhood, but i can't find anything concrete from the limited searching i've done.

my speed is maybe 1-2 mph under (what i've been told was) a properly calibrated radar gun reads checked on a daily basis at ~50mph. that might be close enough for comfort for you assuming you're in that ballpark. maybe try and get some verification after you get your speedo reading...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:57 am 

ps, while we're on the subject: are you planning on sticking with the stock rear axle and open diff for the time being or do you have something better in mind to help put down that power?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:58 pm 

Couldn't get a picture, cars too low and I need to pull it on the lift within the next week. I plan on leaving it a crusier so the rear axle and open diff for now will remain stock. Sorry for the delay guys but thank you so much for your help thus far!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:55 pm 

An easy way to check your speedo (beyond those radar speed signs!) is to use one of the freebie GPS speedometer smartphone apps. I was surprised how accurate they are, as long as you have a clear signal.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 11 posts ]