#
It is currently Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:13 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]
 Post subject: Toyota Mark II twin Turbo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:00 pm 

Hello Y'all, I recentely imported a 1986 Toyota Mark II twin turbo automatic hard top sedan.

[imgImage][/img]

[imgImage][/img]

[imgImage][/img]

The Engine is the 1G-GTE-u 2000cc with water to air intercooler, the car runs well but its quite a bit sluggish of the line, i will be doing a tune, fresh gas and checking all the connections/ couplers in the boost system, once on the gas, the turbo sounds quite loud and you have to floor the pedal for the car to actually start moving. I don't think its a Tranny issue as you can see the RPM slowly creaping up, when the tranny shifts in to second gear is moves faster and picks up speed. Even out of gear the engine revs slowly....hopefully some maintenance will yield some results Any one with experience working on these engines and willing to share info will be greatly appreaciated.Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Toyota Mark II twin Turbo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:28 pm 

Cool, congrats!

Besides getting the car running, what are your plans?

Also, how much trouble was it importing the car? Will it be road legal?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:56 am 

you'd be the second x7 mark ii i know of stateside, and you got the good model and a cool color combo for sure.

i have a lot of questions:

- does this have the ultra-rare 8" differential?
- did the car come with a hood?
- what wheels are those?
- does the car smell like cigarettes and air freshener?
- if you ever decide to sell, will you call me first?

your issue could be a massive boost leak, check ALL your hoses and couplers or make a leak tester. not to be flippant, but your slowness could just be because it's a 1G-GTE coupled to an auto trans. don't expect JZ acceleration from this engine. ever. maybe clean it up, drive it til it blows and swap it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:57 am 

Matches wrote:
Cool, congrats!

Besides getting the car running, what are your plans?

Also, how much trouble was it importing the car? Will it be road legal?

Plans are to get it detailed, polished/waxed, all needed maintenance, new tires, brakes and drive ir around for a bit...I have been importing cars and parts from Japan as a side line for a few years now but i mainly deal with Nissan stuff. This is my first toyota but so far i really like how solid ans smooth this car feels, even with the accleration issue.

As far is importing and registration is concerned...i have a dealer that handles everything from finding the cars in japan, arranging shipping to his shop there, prepping and packing the container, all necessary documents, clearing customs, shipping to his shop in Texas and His Dad assists in getting the cars federally registered. Need less to say its costly but you gotta pay to play!....and yes this car will be legally/ Federally titled to be driven on the roads.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:19 am 

lolumad wrote:
you'd be the second x7 mark ii i know of stateside, and you got the good model and a cool color combo for sure.

i have a lot of questions:

- does this have the ultra-rare 8" differential?
- did the car come with a hood?
- what wheels are those?
- does the car smell like cigarettes and air freshener?
- if you ever decide to sell, will you call me first?

your issue could be a massive boost leak, check ALL your hoses and couplers or make a leak tester. not to be flippant, but your slowness could just be because it's a 1G-GTE coupled to an auto trans. don't expect JZ acceleration from this engine. ever. maybe clean it up, drive it til it blows and swap it.

The paint and interior need cleaning for sure but its in good shape for the age....not mint but good!

Not sure about the rear end, but i can check tomorrow

Yes it's got a hood

I have not looket at the wheels closely but the center cap says XRAZ?? i'll verify brand this weekend.

It dosen't smell but there are a lot of used cigarettes in the ashtray

I will be selling the car so if you are interested contact me @512-767-0644. My name is Terrance.

I really think it's a boost leak, i know its no 2JZ but you actually have to floor the pedal for the car to start moving, but im sure i can fix it. Ill take some interior pics and post it as well.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:33 am 

oh wow, so it revs really high and crawls along? sounds like the transmission. the crapped out a340 in my ls400 does the same thing.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:44 am 

The wheels are SSR Longchamp XR-4Z, by the way. :)

The build plate should state whether it has an 8" (G series) diff as well. It's located next to the gearbox code usually.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:22 pm 

oh hey, just wanted to say good luck working on the G engine. like seriously, good luck because you will need it. parts are hard to get if you can find them. there's a guy in SA that imports oddball japanese stuff for Cressidas, has an eBay store to sell it. you might be able to use him to locate replacement parts if you need them. also, use toyoDIY to get your part numbers. if you have the complete chassis code, might make it easier to get the right one the first time. and they have cross-referencing if you want to see about using a part that might be available on a US model, but the commonality seems pretty low.

looking forward to seeing where this goes.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:19 am 

lolumad wrote:
oh wow, so it revs really high and crawls along? sounds like the transmission. the crapped out a340 in my ls400 does the same thing.

actually quite the opposite....it builds the revs quite slowly and moves slowly....its does this with the pedal nailed to the floor....not a tranny issue.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:22 am 

ill-minded wrote:
The wheels are SSR Longchamp XR-4Z, by the way. :)

The build plate should state whether it has an 8" (G series) diff as well. It's located next to the gearbox code usually.

i looked at the rims and you are quite correct..they are indeed SSR Longchamps, thank you for sharing your knowledge, i will look at the build plate to verify the rearend. Thanks again.

Last edited by 10psitx on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:30 am 

lolumad wrote:
oh hey, just wanted to say good luck working on the G engine. like seriously, good luck because you will need it. parts are hard to get if you can find them. there's a guy in SA that imports oddball japanese stuff for Cressidas, has an eBay store to sell it. you might be able to use him to locate replacement parts if you need them. also, use toyoDIY to get your part numbers. if you have the complete chassis code, might make it easier to get the right one the first time. and they have cross-referencing if you want to see about using a part that might be available on a US model, but the commonality seems pretty low.

looking forward to seeing where this goes.

The engine is not an issue for me to get parts....i have a few complete front clips sitting in Japan as will as my supplier can access any part from the dealers. As i mentioned earlier....i import parts and cars from Japan.

BTW where are you located in Texas?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:50 am 

I opened the filter housing and saw no filter so i removed the top part of the housing, installed an adapter and HKS mushroom filter. The engine revs a bit faster now and it gains speed faster as well...not as fast as it should but a definite improvement....it'll clean out the MAF, and install new plugs this weekend.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:24 am 

i messed with the engine for a few minutes on sunday and relalized that if i gradually depress the accelerator the engine revs better than if i go wide open at once....my buddy suggested a clogged passages in the water to air I/C system....thoughts??

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:12 pm 

ditch the G engine...

...or do the usual stuff and work backwards troubleshooting until you find the issue. if it's something as simple as a clogged pipe i'd think that it would be really easy to check. you have any videos of it running/revving?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:06 pm 

Sluggish revs can be caused by too much fuel. Any signs of that, like white vapour from the exhaust, strong fuel smell, or difficult to start?

Using a MAFS hot wire cleaner can help. If the previous owner didn't have a filter on the engine, could be all sorts of crap plugging up the MAFS, vaccum hoses, and intake vavles.

Pulling the plugs and checking the condition is important. But because the car already isn't running well, the plugs will just show what you already know. Replacing them can help.

Sounds like you're already planning to get fresh fuel in there. The Cheveron Techron fuel system cleaner works.

Re-reading your first post, the loud turbo could indicate a boost leak.

Make a DIY boost leak tester with a PVC pipe end, a bicycle tire inflator thingy, and a bicycle tire pump. I did this once for a friend's car and we found the leak really quickly, all for less than $10

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:34 pm 

Another thing that came to mind,

Is there any smoke at startup? Oil smoke at startup or after idling at stoplight can indicate a bad turbo center bearing. Just wiggle the impeller shaft of the turbo, if it moves at all it's bad.

That can also cause sluggish acceleration

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:08 am 

great suggestions guys..

here is what i have done...removed the intercooling system- no visible blockages but i will clean everything and replace the couplers ( i checked all connections during dis-assembly for damage/ or indication of leaks,found none)

Checked the turbos for operation using a vacuum - both spun with ease and was quite efficient with a shop vac blowing air into the intake side of the turbo.

Throttle body is clean and operation is normal

Inspected the plugs and found no cause for concern i.e not sooty black/rich - not chalky/lean. The gap was quite larger that expacted so its getting replaced. I need to check for available replacements today.

Cap and rotor ...both quite unusual with the rotor having an inner and outer point of contact to matching contact in the cap, (it closely resembles a scorpion poised for attack)...Three per path. i will replace both and have ordered them through my supplier in Japan.

lolumad....i'm with you on the engine....i actually have a 1j on standby to install if i can't get this one running up to par....from what ive read and i've spoken to a guy here in austin that installs them in cressys(also works for boost logic) its a drop in with a new driveshaft made.
I also advanced the distributor before dis-assembly and found that it helped alot with the issue. The car went from accelarating to 90kmph in a little over an 1/8 on a mile to 107kmph in the same distance...it was at 79kmph in the same distance when i first brought it home. It gives me hope that im moving in the right direction.

I have found a company in Cali that rebuilds and calibrates the flapper door MAF sensors, i will be sending mine out for testing/ re-conditioning as well.

Last edited by 10psitx on Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:14 am 

Matches...

no smoke at all ...on startup, idle, rev...minimal amount of oil in the intake/intercooling tract considering the system is connected to the valvecover vent and its not been cleaned for its entire lifetime.

i checked the turbo shafts for deflection and found it to be quite minimal.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:24 pm 

Where im at so far

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 19 posts ]