#
It is currently Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:18 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]
 Post subject: Dchil's 1986 Toyota MX73 Cressida
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:24 pm 

So after this happened to my pulsar...

I bought a MX73 Cressy.

With the most complicated radio I've ever seen.

These are all screens from the video I took at this link.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-MNtRKB8q0

Currently it's stock with the 5MGE, A34DE 4 speed Auto, open diff and sagged suspension. Slight rust around both the rear and windscreen and the boot lid. It's got a massive exhaust leak so it sounds like a beast but the Auto is a bit dodgy at the moment. It is a GXL-i so it has all those 80's luxuries and sagged suspension.

Plans for it are to get a new windscreen, fix the exhaust leak and get it regoed then save for a manual swap. After that some coil overs, an LSD, few power adders and a respray in the factory bronze along with some rims. Then maybe a JZ swap.

"Never assume you know what you're doing. Because you're doing it wrong."

Post subject: Re: Dchil's 1986 Toyota MX73 Cressida
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:35 am 

So I got the windscreen yesterday and took some pics with my potato camera.

So I got down to the car on Saturday and was early. So I sat and waited...

And waited...

And waited.

Then f*cked off to the shops because it was getting hot and I was running out of pepsi while waiting.

But I soon got a call from the window guy to say he was down there and the windscreen was installed.

Then I took a glamour shot.

But here's the largest of the rust and when the windscreen went in a oversize mold was put on to hide what little rust was there. Unfortunately the chrome is now unusable on the front and the top section was bent.
The boot lid rust. The chrome that goes here is in the boot.
The hood struts are missing or broken so this is what I'm using to hold the hood up at the moment.
A bit of the dash. I prefer these dashes to the digital ones.
A bit of the interior. The glove box is pulled to give me access to the transmission ECU so I can pull the solenoid plug to make the car driveable.

So right now the stuff needed for roadworthy and rego is an exhaust patch kit (bought), some new bulbs (bought),a new steering wheel (MX62 wheel coming tomorrow) and a slight resto on the drivers tail light (materials bought).

Then the car is on the road. Which means I start saving for Coils, manual trans and an LSD.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:57 am 

Today I solved some lighting issues...
This included hitting the drivers side taillight with red niteshadez because I didn't want to buy a new one.

I also bought this...
(I wanted a roadkill meme but I CBFed making one and couldn't find one in 10mins)

I also need to swap the spare with the rear goodyear as the goodyear is about on the wear indicator and the spare is 50%. I've found a jack to go in the boot with the wheel brace from the pulsar. But I need to find a functioning jump box so I can actually move the car.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:27 am 

So what happened is that I fitted the new steering wheel (pics when I can be bothered), sprayed the engine bay with some water but no degreaser and disconnected the transmission ECU.

The road worthy guy came out and said right off the bat "You need some bonnet struts, a non leaking washer bottle, new shocks and it's pissing out oil. I can go further but ti will cost you the cost of the roadworthy."

So I decided to let it go and I'm putting it up on the hoist tomorrow to see what else it could need. I think the rocket gaskets are gone and I'll get some coilovers but other than that I don't knwo what I'm doing. Except the bonnet struts, they're $50 and I was going to get them anyway. The speed sensor for the transmission is in the mail too so I'll be plugging that in as soon as it comes in.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:37 am 

Well here's a pic of the new MX62 wheel fitted.

It rubs a bit on the surround so I'll have to fix that.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:38 am 

Okay I've had the car upon a hoist and made a list of things I'll need to do for RWC.

Strut tops: The rubber is cracked and I can get them from work for $157 each. I'll be calling pedders and the like to see if they do them for cheaper.
Rocker gaskets: I degreased the top of the engine 3 days ago for RWC. The car has run for two 5 min sessions in that time and the only oil on the top of the engine is coming from the exhaust side rocker seam. So I'll get some of them. ($44 for the pair on ebay)
Oil build up: It is absolutely caked on there, even brake cleaner had trouble shifting it all. Was all brown so it wasn't ATF but it made me suspect a rear main seal at one point.
Cracked center bearing bush: $50 off ebay. I'll need it so the car is safe.
Speed sensor: Already paid for, in the mail. Makes sure the trans is shifting right.
ATF: When the trans is cold only the tiniest amount of ATF is on the stick so that needs to be rectified. I'll just drain and refill to factory. Probably the cause of poor shifting.
Bonnet struts: I was going to by them anyway. $50 for the pair.
Rear shock bushes: Cracked, I still need to price them up.
Washer bottle: I need to seal the cracks and test the pump. If the pump works then I'll wire up a new switch as the old one is gone.
Exhaust leak: Basically in the rear section of the cat back. I could exhaust paste it (I already have the paste) or I could take it off and get an exhaust shop to weld in some new pipe.
Brake fluid: It's getting old and needs a bleed. Mostly because I want to.
Brake booster rust: The booster is fine but needs some paint so I'll hit it with some matte black.
Diff pinion seal: Leaking. So much for a professionally rebuilt diff. Still need to price it up.
Rust in general: Boot lid and a couple of bubbles/surface rust patches hanging around. One around the black windscreen. Could two tone the car to make it look neat but the boot and one guard would end up being black to hide surface rust too.
Tires: I need at least two legal 205/65/r15 tires as the spare and one of the front tires are cracked. Will hit up a used tire dealer for this.
Intake pipes: All cracked. Possibly replace with silicone.

Overall it isn't cheap but it's cheaper than buying something decent with a RWC. I still need to check some stuff before I decide for sure if I'm keeping the car but it looks like I will.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:03 am 

So I've decided to keep the Cressy.

But I'm going to need some tools (lost 80% of my sockets and spanners in the accident with the pulsar because my tool bag was in the boot) and that means I need to go shopping. I'm also getting something I've never been able to have but always wanted to. An Impact wrench. Because work has compressors and I could use it.

Then wait for my new debit card to turn up so I can actually buy parts.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:01 pm 

Not a bad way to spend $150...

Now to start ordering parts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:34 am 

The speed sensor has arrived. I've got clearance to drive to the southside and pick up some used tires and some strut tops from pedders on the weekend.

Now I'm just waiting for pay pal to finish moving my money so I can buy the rest of the parts.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:34 am 

New projects are exciting! Love the two tone brown.

Good luck with all the repairs

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:53 am 

For the record the car is bronzey brown. Not two tone. But thanks for being the first person to come out and say they like the car on here.

So I've gone a bit wild on ebay tonight and basically have bought everything I need except a battery tie down. This includes:

2.5 Intake piping kit (Really just a U bend and some silicone pipe. Stock is 60mm)
Rocker gaskets
Bonnet struts
Suspension bushes
Pinion seal
center bearing
Washer bottle kit

...and what I have now. Which is the new tail light, speed sensor and ATF. Unfortunately I am without tires as the person I was going to go with won't sell them unless they fit them too "because $15 a tire is too cheap" even though he advertised them for that much with optional fitting (I wasn't going to get the cheapest ones there for the record), so I'll be making some phone calls to try and sort something out tomorrow. I need at least 2 new (to me) tires.

Pics of already acquired parts + tires (if I get them) tomorrow. And maybe some shots of the Cressida with a better(ish) camera.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:48 pm 

So I've been down to the car, dropped off my parts and put 10l of fuel in it and bought my tyres in that order. Now for the photos.

New parts and some fuel. Contains one tail light, ATF (black bottle, dex 3), speed sensor (resting on the taillight) and the strut tops from pedders.

My brother's idea of an interior shot. Note: The car was unlocked.

Some higher quality shots of the car. No two-toning unless you count the boot rust.

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad189/Dchil15/IMG_0496_zpsc7d42226.jpg
New tyres, Toyo TEO Plus 205/65/R15 which is stock.

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad189/Dchil15/IMG_0499_zps79e91454.jpg
Probably about 50% tread.

http://i934.photobucket.com/albums/ad189/Dchil15/e9a3727d-7f3f-41cb-87cf--1fc0a9ce20a_zps603b0a20.jpg
Matched set of 4. Only cost me $120 for the lot delivered to my house. These will go on the car some time the week after next as I'm waiting on parts and these arrived after I went to see the car again.

The next shots will be of me working on the car. Horaay for work letting me use their hoists!

(Last photos are links because this forum thinks they are over 1000pix high.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:03 am 

Well I've finally gotten the time to do this update.

So I put the car up on a hoist on Monday.

Diff leak.
Speed sensor plugs don't match. I think one is for a model with ABS. This doesn't have it. I need to check out what's the difference in them.
The old speed sensor. That leaking isn't normal.
The exhaust "leak". I'm trying to find someone to cut this section of pipe out and weld in new stuff.
I need new front brakes. I haven't ordered them yet but more on it later.

I then started to work on the car. I removed the strut.
Then replaced the top, reinstalled and then was really tired so I went home. It took me 4 hours to do this and my impact wrench shit the bed after the wheels were off.

But I got some cool pics with a RX32 that a guy at work drives.

Also got most of my parts but I don't have a photo of them.

Now onto the nitty gritty. The police have finally called me back to ask me to come in and give a statement and be charged for the accident with the pulsar. I'm likely to be charged with "Careless driving" and receive 3 demerit points and/or a suspension to my licence. The three demerit points will also make me lose my licence unless I'm allowed a good behavior bond. If I lose my licence I could lose my job as a mechanic. There's also the fine which will greatly slow down progress on this build (will probably have to pay in installments).

All in all i hope I get put on a good behavior bond and then pay the fine in installments but even then I'm eggshelling it for the next 12 months so I don't lose my licence for longer. I'll also probably have to go to court to get this all sorted in the end.

If I get suspended then I'll need to get the car home (big $$$ there) and I will need to figure out how I'm going to convince my work to let me keep my job. I haven't ordered brakes because I may need some extra cash and the car isn't being driven anywhere fast.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:16 pm 

I was looking up specs of this car compared to the MA61 and was surprised by some facts.

1/4 mile time:
MA61 (5 speed) was 17.9 sec
MX73 (Auto) was 17.1 sec.

I wonder why that's so. Maybe the MX73's 5M-GE was slightly higher tuned than the early MA61's.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:03 pm 

I would guess gearing, weight, and the added shift time from a manual are likely the reason behind the slower acceleration time. Engines should be the same.

Keep up the good work, looks like the car is coming along!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:52 am 

Woo!

Didn't get suspended or anything.

Now to drop cash into this heap.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 16 posts ]