#
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:08 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 6   [ 120 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: 1986 MX72 Cressida Wagon Build: "Joby"
PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:38 am 

Brought the diff in to work and measured the backlash on the ring gear to be around 12 thousandths. Spec is between 5 and 7 thousandths, so that's part of the issue. The big thing is the passenger side axle gear's shim is so small that the gear has lateral play. This means that when under load, the gear moves away from the spider gears and has way way too much backlash. Now I have a couple options. I can spend like $25 and get a bunch of different sized shims to try and make it work that will take like a week and a half to come in. This will require complete diff dis-assembly and subsequent reassembly, including resetting the backlash on the diff and adjusting the pinion preload; none of which I've ever done before and I lack several of the tools required to do so.
OR
I can drive up to MD and pick up a Celica-Supra complete rear end with disc brakes and LSD for....many hundreds of dollars...which should just bolt on.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:59 am 

Long story short, talked to guy 3 hours away about buying his axle. Arrange time/place over facebook chat. I show up, he's nowhere to be found, not responding to messages. Time wasted, kinda pissed.

So, I ordered $25 worth of different sized shims and stuff to re-adjust the stock diff to eliminate the clunk. Looks like I get to learn how to clearance a diff. Hooray.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:21 pm 

This evening I started working on the diff. Keep in mind I've never done anything like this before so this is all new to me.

I started by removing the retaining lock things for the diff carrier adjuster bolt things (yeah there's going to be a lot of that sort of language in here. Sue me.) and then removing the two caps that hold the diff into the 3rd member. I was careful to mark everything so it all goes back exactly the way it came apart. Here's my workspace:

Here's one of the races for the big diff bearings. Both of them looked great.

The bar that the spider gears ride on is held in with a little pin that is staked in the housing. That took some persuading to remove, but once I figured out it only comes out one way, I got it.
Here's one of the offending articles: the passenger side axle gear adjusting shim. This one is pretty much exactly 1mm thick. I don't recall the thickness of the ones I ordered, but it was over 1mm which is good.

And the left (driver's) side shim washer: 1.01mm

So now as far as that goes, I'm waiting on parts from Toyota. They were all in a warehouse in California so it will probably be Friday or early next week before I see them.

I did however have a pinion oil seal (two, actually which as it turns out was a good thing) and nut already from when I rebuilt the axle last summer. I never used them but now I can! So basically I used a punch to un-stake the pinion nut and my steering wheel puller to pull the flange off. Unfortunately when I put the oil seal in I forgot to put in the bearing oil deflector so I had to destroy that new seal getting it back out. Luckily I had accidentally ordered two pinion seals last summer so I had a spare. So now the pinion is all back together and shouldn't need to be re-adjusted since I never messed with the bearing.
Here's the new seal:

So now we wait on shim washers. I also ordered a dial indicator with magnetic base from Amazon so I can check my backlash and such. Also in that order is some awesome DEI gold heat reflector tape that I'm gonna go crazy with in the MR2 engine bay. Woo hoo!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:21 am 

So I got the shims in today, looks like the thickest is 1.3mm, which may not be thick enough to eliminate the slack in the gears. If not, do you think stacking two 1mm thick shims would be bad? To get a better idea of what I'm talking about, see the picture below. Shims are circled in red.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:05 pm 

Alrighty then. Shims came in (along with a shiny new retaining pin for the middle bar thing)

And here's everything laid out all nice

Basically I said "to hell with it" and put in the two thickest shims I had, one on either side. This put the backlash on the side gears as good as I could get it. My shiny new dial indicator is.....well, it was $35 so it's not great. I then spent an hour and a half heating up the ring gear with a torch and trying to get it installed on the diff with the bolt holes perfectly aligned. Everything went together pretty well after that, I set the backlash and side bearing preload as best I could for my first time. Today I put it in the car and filled it up with some new gear oil. After a ride around the neighborhood it would seem that the clunking is gone! So I'm going to call this a tentative success, as long as bearings don't start whining from improper preload.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:13 pm 

Xcessive Manufacturing skid plate is in. I chased the threads in the chassis with a tap and it went in super easy. I also coated it with Duplicolor rubberized truck bed liner, just for a little extra protection.

It fits great, though I think the oil drain hole is placed more for JZ or UZ swaps because it doesn't really line up with the 5M drain. Also, it sits probably 1-1.5" lower than the subframe so it's mad low. I'm gonna have to be super careful to not scrape it on anything.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:45 pm 

Last night I was depressed because of the whole "MR2 needs a rebuild" situation, so I went around the west end taking pictures and decided to try and hit the City and see what I could find in terms of photo spots. Let me just say boy am I glad I put my skid plate on because holy crap RVA has some of the worst "roads". Also, I apologize for my less-than stellar pics. I am not a photographer and my Nikon P90, while a very nice point and shoot, is nowhere near as nice as a DSLR.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:53 pm 

Since my MR2 is down for an engine rebuild, this has become my daily driver. Being an old car it's starting to show some issues that are starting to pile up and really irritate me.

1. Front passenger window will go down, but not up.
2. Driver's rear window does nothing
3. Stereo tape player broke so no more ipod in the car
4. Rear speakers have never worked
5. Dome light doesn't come on when you open the door
6. Or the hatch
7. Rear window washer hose is broken somewhere in the rear pillar, causing massive internal leakage if you try to use it
8. Passenger door lock is insanely hard to move by hand and won't move with the key or power switch
9. Rear hatch lock won't turn
10. All window tracks need to be lubricated to speed up the slow ass rolling up/down
11. Speedometer cable broke AGAIN
12. Need to figure out how to get my fan to only work when the ignition is on so it doesn't potentially kill the battery
13. Rear end clunk still present. When the MR2 is back up, the diff will be coming back out and getting double shim stacked and/or welded to shut it the hell up
14. Headlights are still dim as well as being aimed way too low. The adjuster bolts are now comprised entirely of ferric oxide so I think to aim them higher will require shimming the brackets with washers

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 1:40 am 

I enjoyed reading your build (In fact it finally convinced me to register on here after being content with only browsing for years)

I also have a 5-speed mx72 that I have not driven in months because I've become frustrated with trying different setups on the rear and it always ending up too bouncy or too limp. I'm looking for something nice and firm. I'm curious about your rear suspension setup, particuarely how the springs feel and what shocks you are using. Though, my car might have slightly different needs as its a decent bit lower and might need a stiffer and shorter spring. But I imagine that's something the company that you worked with could do?

Thanks, and here is a picture of my wagon and it's height for reference:

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:00 pm 

I'm running 400lb/in springs all around, with Camaro KYB AGX shocks adjusted to 6/8 stiffness. I think it rides fine, maybe a little stiff. But I like to be able to carry people and stuff in the wagon, so I wanted to be low without sagging with weight in the car.
I don't think our cars heights are all that different, I just have tiny 14" wheels haha.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:50 pm 

Ah, hm. My car has 650lb front springs and I'm looking for something a little stiffer out back. When I used camaro rear shocks the Issue I had is that the strut stayed almost fully compressed because it was too long, so I switched to shocks off a nissan pickup, but they are actually a bit too short now and preload my springs haha.

I was just going on what you said about your oil pan being 2.5-3" off the ground as far as a comparison to mine. But you are right in that my car does have 15s, and you have a taller swidewall as mine is a 50 or 55 profile i believe.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 6:21 pm 

Holy crap yeah that's definitely lower than mine. I have a skid plate on mine protecting the oil pan that is about 1.5-2" off the ground. I'd be afraid to drive anywhere like that without at least a plate.

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 9:36 pm 

Yeah, I raise the front a little if I am going anywhere i'm unfamiliar with, but for the most part it's ok because I don't drive it much. I guess I'll give that place that did your springs a call and see what they can do!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:14 am 

I'm thinking about giving the wagon a respray (yes, rattle-can, haters gonna hate but I'm not about to spend a bajillion dollars on a 'real' paint job), but I'm not sure what color to go with. I have a case of dark camo flat brown laying around, but it's basically doo-doo brown. I think the wagon could probably pull it off, but I'm also leaning towards a semi-gloss white. These things look amazing in white

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:36 am 

White always looks nice.

If the car ends up white, you'll have to change the name to "Moby"

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:07 am 

Just found a MK1 Celica-Supra axle for sale in PA not too far from where I'm gonna be going anyway in July.
Called up the yard and she's all mine! And for about half the price of the going market rate!
Combine that with the LSD I'm picking up this weekend, add some new seals, bearings and brakes, and I'll have myself an LSD/disc brake rear end! BWAHAHAHAHA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:22 pm 

While white will look awesome, its going to take a lot of rattle can white to cover up the dark grey. From my experience, its much easier and actually not much more expensive to spray with a gun. You have to tape off/remove the same stuff either way. The (work/quality of finish) ratio is much better with a gun. You can spray it in the same place you want to rattle can it as well. But if you dont have access to a spray gun or big enough air compressor its understandable.

Also if you know anyone that paints any kind of military parts, they throw paint out after it goes out of date and the paint will generally still be fine. I got my matte clear on my wagon for free because of this.

That being said, I have made some parts look very nice with rattle cans, I just took the time to smooth and prep it, followed by many light/medium coats. sanding in between the first few coats helps make it lay really flat as well.

Either way, good luck with yours. Im interested to see how it turns out.

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=12289
^Heres my build thread^

Packergreg wrote:
Hezath wrote:
Wagons pull the bitches

That's how they got the old expression "Wagons Ho!"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:03 pm 

Picked up an LSD from an '85 Celica-Supra P-Type today.

I got right to work disassembling it. Here's the case, stub axles, and bearing and such chilling in the oil pan so they don't make too big of a mess. The rear cover is basically worthless as the fill plug threads are SUPER stripped. It was just RTV'd on.

And here's the bit I need. Well, actually I probably don't need the ring gear or the bearings, but the diff is what I was more referring to.

So as of now the plan is to grab one of these kits and a solid spacer kit (as well as new bearings/seals) and rebuild it (or get it rebuilt, more on that below)

Quote:

Toyota Celica Supra- Supra 1979-86 ALL
Toyota Cressida IRS

MAXGRIP Supra 7.5". A real performance rebuild kit for the O.E.M. Supra LSD. These parts have been designed to get the maximum grip possible with the o.e.m. LSD! The kit comes with new stationary plates and new clutch plates that were normally not installed from the factory. Adding these two clutch plates increases the overall friction surface area 4X or 200% more than the typical factory LSD. Also included are new reversible solid bronze thrust washers, spiral grooved for oil. You also get new heavy-duty springs and complete shim kit (16 assorted thicknesses) for setting the clearances within the LSD to exact specs for best performance. Using this kit, your LSD will be more responsive, lock faster, with maximum grip! No more one-tire fire!

Quote:
Our solid pinion spacer kits are over 3X stronger than the typical o.e.m. crush sleeves. What does all this mean? What these parts do when correctly installed is set the distance between the inner and outer pinion bearings (bearing preload). At the same time, these parts also locate the pinion gear relative to the ring gear within the casing. So, why does the crush sleeve fail? It fails because it is too weak to resist deflection when high pinion loads are applied. This is why we often hear people say, “my ring and pinion finally blew up”. The failure is not instantaneous as it would be if the gears were over-powered. The failure happens over time, due to repeated hard driving. High pinion loads deflect the pinion gear over and over until the o.e.m. crush sleeve becomes “loose” and cannot properly maintain the bearing preload. This also allows the position of the pinion gear within the casing to move causing misalignment of the ring and pinion gears. Over time, this leads to “howling” gears followed by “ground up” gear teeth and eventually destroys the gears. Protect your ring and pinion with one of our high strength steel solid pinion spacer kits. All kits come with instructions and shim sets.

After looking through this walkthrough, I think that it may be a project that is over my head. The tools alone would be hundreds of dollars. So I emailed the guy that runs this site to see what he would charge to rebuild it.
http://www.gearinstalls.com/LSDrebuild.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:54 pm 

Passenger side Celica-Supra seat is in. Now they match!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 1:16 pm 

:tu: niiiiceeee!!!!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 5 of 6   [ 120 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next