#
It is currently Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:41 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: 1982 Corolla 3TC idle problem
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:14 am 

Hello everyone. I'm having an idle problem on my 1982 Toyota Corolla station wagon 3TC engine.

Here is what's happening. Very simple. It won't idle. Normally, the accelerator kind of sticks when I even barely touch the accelerator. Solved that problem after finding out there is no real solution other than adding a spring. But a couple of weeks ago, I was driving though a large city, and all of a sudden, when I came to a stop sign or light, the engine would die. it starts right up, but won't idle. I've checked all the vacuum lines, changed the fuel filter, and made sure the choke isn't stuck. Another symptom is it seems to run rich when not idling, as I slightly smell fuel. But as soon as i let off the gas, it dies. Another wierd thing is,..the engine exhaust sounds "hollow". That's the only word I can think of. It just doesn't sound normal. Anyway, I'm a pretty good home mechanic, as i grew up with a dad who was a pro mechanic his entire life. I'm just not that familiar with carbs..especially older Toyota's. So, any help would be appreciated.

However, I am aware this is an old carb, and haven't found any rebuild kits, and don't really have the money for switching over to a Webber, as I'm retired on a fixed income. That's why I'm still driving this car. I love it. I just need to fix this if possible.
Thanks for any insight
fitZ

Post subject: Re: 1982 Corolla 3TC idle problem
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:17 am 

Ok guys, here is some additional information. It appears this car was originally sold in the USA in some state that required a crap load of "smog" related stuff. Like California. :evil: :mrgreen: . Which means there is a gazillion vacuum lines, all connected to various valves etc, which any one of them may be causing this. However, the original owner of this vehicle was a Toyota mechanic, who owned, and maintained this car diligently. When I purchased this car from him, he had just replaced all the vacuum lines, the water pump, alternator and a half dozen other things. So I know this engine was maintained by a Toyota expert. But here is the deal.

I just went out and removed the air cleaner, plugged the two main vacuum lines to the air cleaner, and started the engine. I starts like a dream, and runs excellent. At first cold start, it idles perfectly. As it was warming up, I visually inspected all the vacuum lines as well as can be expected and found nothing amiss. As the engine was warming up, the "smog pump" was sucking air from the front hose, and pumping air out the rear hose. Just as the choke fully opened, I heard what "sounded" like a "valve" shut off, and the smog pump stopped pumping and sucking air. At the same moment, the engine started to slow down, until it almost stopped, at which point I opened the throttle and gave it some gas. As usual, the engine revved up, and slowly comes back to idle but continues dying. If I barely move the the throttle, it rev's up, but again comes back to idle and dies.

It just seems like there is some component connected to some vacuum line that is malfunctioning. I don't think it's even the carburator causing this. But there are so many components in this system, I don't have a clue what all of them do, or which one may be causing this. So, anyway, that's what's happening. I now live in Michigan whiich doesn't require "smog" equipment, and wish I could just remove all of it. But..given I don't have the money to replace the carb with a Webber..I just need to solve this. Thanks for any feedback.

Post subject: Re: 1982 Corolla 3TC idle problem
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:26 am 

PS.. when I open the throttle and rev the engine up, what ever that valve is that closed, opens again and allows the smog pump to work again, until the engine speed lowers towards idle, and again closes. Don't know if this is normal, but as soon as that valve closes..that's when the engine wants to die. This is also when the engine exhaust starts to sound different than normal. Kinda "hollow" sounding. Might be due to the smog pump sound or something. Anyway, if i find any other anomolies, I'll be back. Right now I'm searching online for a diagram for the smog system, to identify all the components. Right now..I'm totally in the dark. :(

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]