#
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:57 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: My 1980 Toyota Cressida
PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:42 pm 

But at least now you have it...just in case..

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:47 pm 

remarque wrote:
Funny you said something about those visors, I was about post them up for sale as soon I figure out how to take them off. You got first dibs.

I started tearing down the vinyl top yesterday and ran into rust. The worst spot is were it starts at the trunk.

Dude, the visors are rare and hella dope.....don't sell them...keep them!

All of you should be ashamed for trying to take advantage :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:08 am 

that vinyl top is "rare" and definitely not dope. its a preference thing imho.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:32 am 

except nobody who knows anything not wants the visors...nah mean? ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:27 am 

not really, i think you're trying to say that the visors have a demand attached to them based on being rare though.

which i can agree with to an extent, but it's a niche segment that appreciates that stuff and could actually use them, and i think the majority of the population happens to be right here in this forum.

i pulled 2 sets of visors off of x6's in my local yard and helped them find new homes for my cost at the counter plus shipping and not a penny of personal profit for my time and effort. one set was spoken for before i pulled them off, but the other set took considerably longer to go.

they'll be a perfect addition to my wagon, and hopefully OP can use the funds to get his car sorted. seems like he has bigger issues to deal with in terms of rust repair atm.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:44 pm 

Quite simply saying they're rare, look dope and are in demand....probably something he would regret letting go of later...not just cause they're rare, but also because they look so ill on an x3...hence the demand :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:31 pm 

Depends on taste. personally don't really like them.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:43 pm 

Easy not to like when u don't have them and they're difficult to get :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:50 pm 

So THAT'S why I hate attractive girls..

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:03 pm 

I've been looking into engine swaps for my MX32, I have two choices the 2JZ and the 7mgte. They both have about the same HP but which one is the better choice. I also want to stay auto.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:45 am 

i won't start another M engine vs anything debate. what i will share is some experience:

aside from the usual problems that plague the M engine, should you find one you will probably want to do the headgasket and ARP studs and upgrade the oil pump while the engine is out in addition to water pump, timing belt etc... that you'd normally do.

trolling craigslist i see fewer 7mgte engines available and the ones i can find are in pieces and priced equal to or more than a complete JZ swap.

if you find a 7MGTE engine, it will likely have higher mileage and a history of being abused, possible repairs performed or attempted.

for the JZ engine, you will want to get XM mounts. if you intend to stay NA, look for an older non-vvti motor to keep wiring as simple as possible. if you go turbo, familiarize yourself with the differences between the generations and prepare to deal with them accordingly. there's a lot of information out there at your disposal. make good use of google and be completely prepared before diving in and you'll find the process will be straightforward.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:25 pm 

Is the a430e transmission the same through all the year? I've got a great deal of questions about Toyota/Lexus, I'm coming from Mitsubishi world were they really only have two engines the 4G and the 6G

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:34 am 

any a340 should bolt up, i had a "JDM" version that came on my 1jz sitting next to the one that was bolted to my 7M and there were a couple cosmetic differences and the bellhousings are obviously not the same. if you get a 7MGTE it will likely not come with a transmission. if you get a JZ motor it probably will (most import motorsets do, and if you go NA you'll want the whole thing from a running, driving donor to make it as straightforward as possible).

i should say - don't waste your time getting a "JDM" M engine or a JZGE. the only time it's cost-effective to get an import engine is when it's either unavailable here (1JZ) or cost-prohibitive (2JZGTE). if you go 1JZ, there's a lot of parts interchangeability with USDM stuff you can get at any parts counter. for what doesn't interchange, you can get it from a few dealership parts guys that will stock it at a good price. I recommend Champion toyota in Galveston. Always has my parts and the best prices I have found.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:40 pm 

lolumad wrote:
any a340 should bolt up, i had a "JDM" version that came on my 1jz sitting next to the one that was bolted to my 7M and there were a couple cosmetic differences and the bellhousings are obviously not the same. if you get a 7MGTE it will likely not come with a transmission. if you get a JZ motor it probably will (most import motorsets do, and if you go NA you'll want the whole thing from a running, driving donor to make it as straightforward as possible).

i should say - don't waste your time getting a "JDM" M engine or a JZGE. the only time it's cost-effective to get an import engine is when it's either unavailable here (1JZ) or cost-prohibitive (2JZGTE). if you go 1JZ, there's a lot of parts interchangeability with USDM stuff you can get at any parts counter. for what doesn't interchange, you can get it from a few dealership parts guys that will stock it at a good price. I recommend Champion toyota in Galveston. Always has my parts and the best prices I have found.

Thats not entirely true, Jdm 2jzge vvti are the only ones without the immobilzer....so if u want to run a 2jzge vvti...jdm is your only option, unless you can get the steering column transponder from the car the engine came from

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 12:47 pm 

i thought that had already been addressed, maybe i was thinking of another thread. i remember the immobilizer defeat lloyd had to deal with when building his car... but anything with a JDM tag on it is going to cost so much more than you'd expect to pay for a complete non-vvti motor at a wrecking yard i'd just as soon dismiss the GE vvti altogether. your experience might differ being from Canada where it might be easier or cheaper to obtain complete drivetrains.

vvti GTE is another story but one i have little personal experience with. a few friends have managed to wring out some power from their vvti 1jzs and the biggest benefit is the quicker earlier spool making more usable tq down low in the revs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:46 pm 

I HAVE FULLY FUNCTIONAL BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since we have a 4 day weekend this weekend(one of the best things about being in the military), our company was released early and I jumped right on the Cressida. I ordered a new master cylinder from Ebay last week and just been waiting to install it. I was right about the master cylinder, after removing it I found brake fluid leaking from the rear seal. The paint that the brake fluid ate off the brake booster should have been a dead giveaway. I had to replace the two smaller brake lines coming from the master cylinder because the nut stripped. It was no big deal, Autozone had 10" lines for $5. After bleeding the brakes, I took it for a test drive and the brakes work perfectly. Going to tackle the radio and trunk interior tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:29 pm 

Kool! Can't wait to get my brakes solid too. Did the fronts, then the rear cylinders started leaking. Fixed that, now it must be the master...still getting some pedal fade. Good thing there's a lot on ebay!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 37 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2