#
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:55 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]
 Post subject: Raw Truth RA20
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 2:53 am 

I have been passionate about classic Toyotas since I was able to hold a playstation controller and pour hours into Gran Turismo. My uncle owned an immaculate mk2 supra (still has it) with a digital dash in the most pristine condition and from a young age I have become partial to the old school flavor. A guy living down the street imported an ae86 Levin, and I slowly began to develop an attuned interest in these cars and started to explore the internet in search of a build of my own.

It came time for me to purchase my first car. It was by no means a collectable or a rare chassis of any kind but it was exactly right for me at the time. It was a 1990 ae92 corolla gt-s. High comp 4ag, 5 speed, glorious red interior, a perfect first car. I ended up smacking it up a bit, and used that as an excuse to buy some Trueno front end parts and make it my own. Light engine mods followed, header, intake, exhaust, pulleys etc.

It would turn out that I wasn't the only one that had been bitten by this Nostalgic Bug. My passion for the hobby rooted itself and began to grow, soon my circle of friends included many others of the like mind and several ae86 owners. It was time to move on and I had become acquainted with an importer of jdm vehicles, of the vehicles that came in one caught my attention. It was an ae92 Levin gt-z. I was amazed at the torque of the supercharger and knew this was the next car for me. I parked the car in the garage patiently waiting for the day when I could afford to insure it.

It sat and sat, my friends were bitten by the drift bug and all had rwd platforms of their own, late night trips to skid pads on the edge of city limits were common and I began to have the desire to build a car for drifting. So with the Levin sitting in the garage and the guy that I had purchased it off of still bringing in containers I tossed the idea around of trading it in for a rwd chassis to open that door for me. Just my luck, there was a 1986 MK3 Supra that had already landed and was waiting to find a new home. Needless to say I was stoked about it and I was able to trade the Levin straight across for the Supra.

SO the long journey began.

and 8 years later...

The car grew into a monster, 2j swapped, widebody, big brakes, 600hp, full cage, completely gutted and stitch welded.
Sadly, it never felt organic when I sat in the seat of this car and I ended up parting it out with plans of removing myself from the hobby altogether.

As my life began to lead me down different avenues and my values and dreams grew to encompass different things, I didn't see myself owning another car any time soon.

Until just recently.

A very close friend of mine and the owner of an old school Datsun 260z and local speed shop made a post about a car that he had picked up from his late automotive teacher in post secondary. He had driven a couple hours out of town to find this car which was sitting in a field and the family was looking to find a new home for. He hopped in the car, it fired right up and after a quick check over he rolled it out onto the highway to begin the journey home. As he was driving he told me that I was the first person that came to his mind. We had talked of this chassis in the past and even scowered local classifieds to find me one. After arriving safely back in town and inspecting the car he was unsure if he would part with it. Of all days, I had a flat on my daily and I made my way to the shop, not knowing what was in store.

I arrived and found this car on the hoist, sparks flew. I sat in the car, my friend watched as my face filled with emotion. Something he hadn't seen in me for a long time around the shop or cars in general. He knew then that this was my car. I am very grateful to be surrounded by such strong, and compassionate individuals. Hesitantly he threw me the keys and I took it out and around the block, and around, and around.

I set out on this endeavor with a new intention, with a fresh appreciation for life and all that is encompassed by it.

Raw Truth

RA20 Build / Blog

Last edited by rawtruth on Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Raw Truth RA20
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:04 am 

begin at the foundation.

nurture it, and watch it grow.

Raw Truth

Post subject: Re: Raw Truth RA20
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:23 am 

Great post! I feel like I really get a sense of your passion. Congrats on finding the old Celica. Looking forward to your updates!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 3 posts ]