#
It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:54 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Coil springs for 1977 Toyota Corona Wagon RT119
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:47 pm 

Hello all, I'm new to this forum. I recently purchased a 1977 Toyota Corona Station Wagon. 2.2L 20R with W50 manual transmission. I purchased this car from impound for an extremely low price. Only issue, the vehicle needs higher front springs. The car is currently unable to drive, as the tires constantly rub on the fenders. Rolling the fenders in my instance would not help much as bumps would hit severely. I have seen other say that springs from a Mazda/Ford Courier (1978-1985) will pop right in and will be thicker. I'm looking for about a 2" - 3" rise in the front.

all the photos for the vehicle are in this gallery. (board attachment quota has been reached apparently)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/casanovaxrodeo/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/casanovaxrodeo/

Post subject: Re: Coil springs for 1977 Toyota Corona Wagon RT119
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:11 pm 

Welcome to the board. Looks like a pretty good project. What are you plans?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:18 am 

at the moment, all I'm trying to do is be able to take it around town, maybe to school. this is the kind of car that makes me love Toyota's again. i used to have a 92 corolla, it was FF layout with a 1.6l. 5 speed on 200,000 miles. sold it because my mom gave me a 06 suzuki aerie sedan 5 speed. i have very little time to work on my new car though since i have two jobs and work 6 days per week (thursday morning off). So really, I'm just trying to casually make it better. im trying really hard to get the springs.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:28 am 

This is a very sick Corona man, I love everything about it. If it were me I would slam the shit outta the rear end to match it to the front end but thats just my $.02. So what are those clamps you have holding your front springs? Is that some sort of lowering technique?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 8:46 am 

That thing is so cool. I love it, especially the wheels. I think the things on the springs are spacers and if he took them out if would go lower still. A new set of springs set to the right height would make it much better to drive, even with a moderate drop.

The springs look very similar to the ones on my 73 which have the same diameter as an early Hilux pickup. Measure them and search in a junkyard and I don't think it will take you too long to find. You can always cut them to your liking.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 9:07 am 

Welcome to the forum. I'm still putting my 75 Corona together but I did purchase some springs for a Ford Courier from Rock Auto and paid $50+ dollars delivered (Moog Suspension part # CC250). Not sure if they fit but will know in the next few weeks.

Why don't you try going with a tire/wheel combo that fits better for the ride height?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:12 pm 

alright, since you guys noticed the clamps, i'd just like to say that the clamps in there were to separate the springs. that was my attempt to help the issue. unfortunately, i could not get the spring spacers to work properly due to how close the coils were.
my only option is to follow the route of the ford courier springs. for the next three weeks, i will be able to take my car to school and work on it. i am in DESPERATE need to get this car running within that time frame. I need any info on what hilux and ford courier springs work.
i found from other users that these front springs may work

Ford Courier 4th Generation (1978 - 1985)
Toyota Hilux RN20/RN30 (1972 - 1978)

im willing to dish out $150 for springs this week and am really really looking forward to getting them on and finally driving this car.

ANY information about springs can help me at this point.

and Presamax, i purchased the vehicle as is. Those photos are exactly how it got to my house. i've already stripped a lug stud by removing a lug nut. I don't know if i want to go any smaller in wheel sizes, theyre 14's as it is.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:22 pm 

my height at the moment, add an inch in height for the gutter that tapers downward. lets put it this way, my car is low enough to hit a pack of cigarettes standing up.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:39 am 

The car looks really cool but I agree its tough to be functional at that height. Stock rims (even 14s) with taller tires would be easier to turn and give you some height because they wouldn't be so wide with such a low offset. There's got to be someone around that has some stock 4 lug you could borrow even to get you functional while you work out the springs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:20 am 

i thought about putting some donuts on toydatto, but i dont think the lug pattern is correct for anyone i knew with spare donuts.

BUT!, i did get some specifications today from King Springs in Australia. they are as follows.
"OD of 116mm (ID of 86mm) and 325mm in length.
Lowered spring (310mm long)"

this thursday i will be heading to the DMV for registration.
friday i will be taking my car to a friends house and attempting to pull a spring out and measure it to see if the specs match.
sunday i will be heading to the junkyard for parts on other toyotas that may match up. doubt most will, but i can try.

i need definitive answers that the Ford Courier 4th Generation (1978 - 1985) coil springs will work before i attempt to purchase some.

interior
sitting at tow yard

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 1:20 pm 

Have you checked the shocks to see if their worn out? Buy some heavyduty shocks n roll the fenders imo. Good luck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 2:10 pm 

rt85corona wrote:
Have you checked the shocks to see if their worn out? Buy some heavyduty shocks n roll the fenders imo. Good luck

I have not checked the shocks yet. My biggest issue is ride height. Once I obtain a drivable ride height, I will then go towards replacing shocks and leafs and steering components and bushings.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:28 pm 

When you pull them this weekend it should be pretty easy to just let them down with a floor jack. Probably just fall right out since they are cut so much. Then you can match them up to something in the junkyard. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:13 pm 

Beautiful wagon! Welcome!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 4:20 pm 

A few more issues... Decided to take the Corona to a meet across town. Driving over I have some fuel delivery issues. My car just started to bog down no matter how much throttle I applied. It actually died once and I had to throw it in neutral and start her up again.

So tonight I'm going to be soldering some wires. Especially the one to te aftermarket electric fuel sender. (wires are simply twisted and are generating loads of heat)

Going to be changing oil tonight as well.

I will take photos of the wires and post them up later. With before and afters.
Hope all goes well.

Also, about the lowered issue on my car, I home made rolled the fenders giving a lot more clearance. She is tolerable driving 30-40 but nothing higher yet.
Used a crow bar to roll the fenders. :D

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:35 pm 

so first off, i dont have many emissions devices. some stuff isn't even routed properly. im in a little bit of a situation and i need to get the fuel delivery handled as soon as possible. also, i am considering a new weber carb 32/36 that i hear everyone talking about.
i have a few questions about it
first off, does it allow all emissions devices to be properly hooked into the carb/air cleaner.
second, how well does it work in general.

i am very tempted to purchase one just to help out my vehicle in recovering from sitting.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:03 pm 

So are you running cut coils than?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:35 pm 

ChaseCorona wrote:
So are you running cut coils than?

yes, my current coils are cut. I recently rolled the fenders (home style) and now i can drive the vehicle at substantially low speeds. If i try driving 40+, she will just try to die out. I am going to be checking the exhaust backpressure and the fuel filter for any issues that might be causing that issue. I haven't even taken her above 50 MPH yet.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:15 pm 

here are some more photos of the Corona. i'm going to be taking it to a friends this weekend. we're gonna get down and dirty with trying to figure out this issue. I really want to be able to drive this car.

spark plugs totally fuel fouled
completely black oil
the filter felt nearly half full of sludge!
all the plugged/capped components and lines. I definitely need some help with this.
need the pcv hose, probably a new pcv valve as well
rear has 3" blocks.
this is another interior pic, sitting at the impound lot before i cleaned the inside out. my shifter :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:18 pm 

not to mention what i found in the glove box. This card just sitting in there with the previous owners belongings. Is this just coincidence?

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 24 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next