#
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:49 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]
 Post subject: TE27 Spring options?
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:31 am 

Hey, I created an account a while back to browse the for sale ads here, but I recently found the car for me.
It's a 1974 TE27, has a 3TC with an automatic transmission, although I got a T50 with the car, so hopefully I can swap that in if I can sort out the front end.
Anyways, I've been googling for a while now and all I can find is information about complete strut swaps.
So, here she is.
As you can see, the front springs have been cut so much that it can't clear its own tires. It rubs so badly that it cuts the tires up. I towed it home on a dolly.

From what I've read, the strut tubes on the MR2 and AE86 are a little larger, but are the coil springs the same size?

Again, I've been unable to find a stock replacement spring, so I am looking for a stock spring from another model that be swapped in to get the car moving.
Thanks,

Post subject: Re: TE27 Spring options?
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:47 am 

I know these will still be short, but will something like this fit the stock struts.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/eib-8 ... /year/1985

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:06 pm 

the te31 may be the same or not, but im going to try on my car springs from an corona 79, and let u know, because they are smaller than the ra24, my springs are cut too, but too much.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:09 pm 

Thanks, so far I've found a lot of people swapping out the entire strut assemblies with MR2 and AE86 assemblies to lower them, but no one just trying to repair a botched cut springs. And of course a million coilover conversion threads, but I don't want to buy camber plates yet.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:32 pm 

If I were you, I would look into adjustable spring perches and custom springs. You can grind off the old spring mount off the strut and weld on a section of pipe that’s bigger than the strut for the new adjustable mount to rest on. Then figure out what spring rate you want and order from your brand of choice. Perhaps someone on here can chime in with a good spring rate for your car. If you will be running your car lower than stock height, you might as well do a strut shortening and swap to a different strut, like mentioned above. I would check to make sure your strut tube diameter is the same before starting this.

Info: I measured my TE31 1976 today and the outer diameter of the strut tube is 2".

-EDIT- By doing what I mentioned above, you can use the adjustable perch to have a stock ride height, or a drastic drop, so you can get going without needing camber adjusters. And if you ever wanted to lower it down and get the adjusters in the future, you will already have springs and the adjustability. Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:37 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

So you end up with Darrens car.. Nice.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:04 pm 

Yea, Darren was just over an hour away from me, so not too far. Originally I was looking for a 510. I'd never seen a TE27 in person, but I figured at just an hour away I'd go have a look at it. I just had to have it, haha.
Here's my other toyota

Anyways, so, I guess I need to call TTT and ask if they require the use of camber plates, or not to use the conversion. I'm not opposed to doing a coilover kit if I can do it for the same price as replacing the springs.
https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/te27 ... 27-corolla
I have a sneaking suspicion that the car has a blown head gasket, definitely burns oil and needs a lot of electrical work. I just don't want to over invest in the front end until I can get the rest of the car sorted. I need to fix what's broken before I can modify and I am on a tight budget after the purchase price of the car.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:15 pm 

If you want a cheap, replacement spring, I recommend taking your current one out. Take measurements and head to a junk yard. Find something you can chop down and put in there for your tires sake until you are ready to spend some $$$. I think I remember someone using jeep Cherokee springs cut to fit the height. Might be worth looking into

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:27 pm 

I've been eyeing the front springs on my 510 wagon shell, they look pretty similar. In fact, the whole strut assembly looks quite similar.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 9 posts ]