#
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:02 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: One more bell to answer... (Rusty RA21):
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:40 pm 
JNC Fanatic

I've been debating making a thread for awhile now. I'm not much for sharing about my personal life or personal shitbox cars anymore, but I'm drunk now and I probably need people to yell at me.

Also, it's Marlyn McCoo's birthday today, hence the thread title.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZcA3kiaQb0[/youtube]

I don't even know where to start this story...

I owned some haggard fullsize Chryslers that nearly killed me, which I'm still too emotionally attached to let go of and too poor and unmotivated to fix, and somehow, somewhere down the line, I suddenly really wanted a 1st gen Celica coupe.

I don't honestly know why. I'd never seen one in the flesh. I didn't see a picture that changed my mind. My only memory is seeing a picture of one and knowing immediately what it was, despite not knowing *why* I knew exactly what it was, and then suddenly deciding I had to have one. If anything else could be attributed, it might be helping a friend buy a gold '84 Celica for his first car at a donation car auction in 2006... a poor, poor car that has been through absolute hell since and somehow still kinda works. The lack of maintenance, multiple collisions, and Michigan winters have finally caught up with it.

It's documented better elsewhere, but in 2008 I drove a Jeep Cherokee across the entire country to buy a gold '74 Celica in the bay area. I had it 5 days and blacked out behind the wheel from a food allergy, which was just the straw that broke the camel's back of not sleeping/not eating/arguing for days with my friend and my family over the phone and having a 70 year old man not related to me fly across the country to scream at me relentlessly day and night about how I was going to die because old cars are terrible. Instead he nearly killed me.

Also, side note, best part about blacking out on top of your toolbox in a hedge in Compton after the police drag your car away when you're 3,500 miles from home is waking up to an angry old man screaming at the top of his lungs about how right he was and he knew this would happen. Rad.

I spent the rest of my time gathering more money and searching the country for another '71-'74 coupe.

I did, for a year, own a '71 Mazda 1800 wagon. An admittedly more interesting car, but it didn't excite me much, but I eventually landed upon this turd:

There's a lovely coating of Michigan road salt on it there, thanks to being delivered in a snow storm. Which is causing all kinds of issues since... the roof is entirely bare metal and is turning into a fine powder at constant rate now. I've been unable to give it a real wash because it's missing a bunch of weatherstripping and the rear windows won't stay up.

Current plans are just to fix the window mechanisms and make it run/drive relatively well, and stop the progression of the rust on the roof/tops of the body.

Anyone have any good suggestions for that? Nothing like POR-15, I want to stop the rust period. Frick. I'm not ready for a full repaint still, it has other body issues (rear valence is bondo over a dent, it's got collision damage on the back as well and a few minor rust holes), but the rust needs to be stopped.

Last edited by Stationwagonguy on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: One more bell to answer... (Rusty RA21):
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:55 pm 
JNC Fanatic

It should be mentioned that it's acquired a name, something I don't really do with my vehicles. My good friend Jim in Melbourne remarked upon hearing of it's arrival:

Quote:
Welcome Dream car™! Long may you roll. Salt encrusted, faded green and damp. Sounds to me like you’ve got yourself a margarita. Well, it is from the south west I suppose.

The very next e-mail he was calling it Rita. And thus it was named, hah.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:32 pm 

You may dislike sharing your private life, but you really ought to do it more often.
Your succession of rants are quite amusing, and it made me giggle that you come across as being about as bitter as I imagine that 70 year old screaming man is... :lol: :lol: :lol: HaHaHaHa...!!

Anyhow, Rita looks to have loads of potential. I too have a deep yet unexplainable need to own a 1st gen. Celica some day. They just look sooo right! 8)
Sorry, I have no sound advice for your crumbling roof issues, but just get it under control asap, save up for a proper respray and let Rita sparkle again... :tu:

Best Regards,
Anders.

JDM '77 Toyota Trueno Sprinter 1600GT (TE61)
+ a handful of classic BMW's from the 60's and 70's.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:43 am 

Your story intrigues but thats not the purpose of this thread so im looking forward to seeing where this one goes, as for the rust on the roof....I had a similar rust issue a few years ago with a 240sx vert, the rear bulk head was not "rust proof" and was actully past rusty and heading towards rotted. I could not replace it so i wire wheeled it as best as i could and got a rust converter spray from Home depot...the name of the product has long since vacated my memory but this thing was awesome! It essentially stopped the progression and left a clear coat look on the metal. Also Home depot has a rust Preventer spray but thats not what you want.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]