#
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:48 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]
 Post subject: How to appraise a classic Toyota
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:32 pm 

So I'm moving on and selling my Corolla but I'm having trouble figuring out what to ask. I've heard all of the typical answers like "only worth as much as someone will pay" etc.

A search online hasn't yielded much either. Anyone know of a resource for appraising older cars such as Kelly blue book or anything? I've looked through some of the for sale threads here and they're all over the place. Any info provided would be appreciated and I'm sure others could benefit from the knowledge as well.

1979 Toyota Corolla SR5
81,192 original confirmed miles
5spd
black interior
tons of new parts and repairs, everything works as should

Post subject: Re: How to appraise a classic Toyota
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:13 pm 

Nice ride bro! Maybe this will help!

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/ ... ack/Values

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:03 pm 

That price guide seems real low....especially considering the condition of the Corolla being sold, maybe that's a good base price for a car in average working condition.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:00 am 

Maybe so, But considering that this model yr & corolla is not as "popular" as a let's say 1970-74ish peanut or mango or even the ever popular AE86 in the end it's all about how much someone wants to pay, and right now many want to jump on the classic JDM wagon Just because they are rising in popularity... As far as I say California is concerned anything smog except is even more desirable but that's my opinion. GLWS.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:47 am 

I would start high and go from there. I've seen cars like yours go for between 5000 and 8000. I wouldn't let it go for anything less than 4,000 though. It's a really beautiful car, and if I got your car for 4,000, I'd feel like I ripped you off. So that is my two cents. I don't think there is a legit way to appraise a car like this anyways. The posters above are right, TE51's aren't as popular. But then it just means you set the price.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:58 am 

cnister1 wrote:
Nice ride bro! Maybe this will help!

http://www.nadaguides.com/Classic-Cars/ ... ack/Values

I had seen this but I had several problems with it. For starters is doesn't allow consideration for the SR5 package which included extra options nor does it consider specific mileage or condition. NADA just lists the RETAIL suggested price for a 34 year old car with assumed mileage and condition for the age. Not really a detailed or useful tool in my mind considering if you went off the standard 12,000 a year average they expect the car to have 408,000 miles by now, I'm a couple 100,000 below that...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:01 am 

loquendo wrote:
I would start high and go from there. I've seen cars like yours go for between 5000 and 8000. I wouldn't let it go for anything less than 4,000 though. It's a really beautiful car, and if I got your car for 4,000, I'd feel like I ripped you off. So that is my two cents. I don't think there is a legit way to appraise a car like this anyways. The posters above are right, TE51's aren't as popular. But then it just means you set the price.

Thanks, yeah that's around the range I've seen for decent condition, low mileage or restored cars. I've even seen a few high mileage (more than 150k) Corollas selling for around 3 on craigslist. I think I'll jump somewhere in the middle of those two numbers and wait for a buyer that will appreciate the car not wrap it around a pole doing some "mad tyte driftin"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:44 pm 

Having been in the muscle car/pony car field back in the early 1990s, I can sympathize with your issues. Back then the differences between models* could be worth 1000%, now the extreme of that might even be more.

* - Back in 1970 - 1970 Mustang 6 cyl coupe with 3 speed... $2200 when new, 1970 Mustang Mach1 with a 428SCJ, 4 speed... $3200 when new.

1990 - 6 cyl Mustang $500-$1500. Mach 1 428SCJ - $15,000, $25,000

Present day - 6cyl Mustang - $1000 to $2500. Mach1 428SCJ $40,000-$80,000

Nice examples of any model... garner nice price tags...

ONLY judging from the photos, ASSUMING the entire car is as nice as these photos... Start @ $12,500

I know... it SEEMS ridiculously high... and it just might be... but *IF* it is as clean as these photos suggest, it means the car is perfect... and a perfect example is worth far more then the run of the mill example.

For perspective... I wouldn't ask less then $15,000 for my AE71 aka Surreptitious

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:32 pm 

oldeskewltoy wrote:
Having been in the muscle car/pony car field back in the early 1990s, I can sympathize with your issues. Back then the differences between models* could be worth 1000%, now the extreme of that might even be more.

* - Back in 1970 - 1970 Mustang 6 cyl coupe with 3 speed... $2200 when new, 1970 Mustang Mach1 with a 428SCJ, 4 speed... $3200 when new.

1990 - 6 cyl Mustang $500-$1500. Mach 1 428SCJ - $15,000, $25,000

Present day - 6cyl Mustang - $1000 to $2500. Mach1 428SCJ $40,000-$80,000

Nice examples of any model... garner nice price tags...

ONLY judging from the photos, ASSUMING the entire car is as nice as these photos... Start @ $12,500

I know... it SEEMS ridiculously high... and it just might be... but *IF* it is as clean as these photos suggest, it means the car is perfect... and a perfect example is worth far more then the run of the mill example.

For perspective... I wouldn't ask less then $15,000 for my AE71 aka Surreptitious

Well the car is by no means perfect, there are little dimples and pin sized dents here and there, it's by no means show paint it's not a crappy maaco job either. I think somewhere in the middle is where it belongs. It's a great daily driver or weekend cruiser. I'd love to see it go to a home that will enjoy it now let it sit and rot. I used it as my daily driver.

As far as appraising goes I'd also suggest http://www.searchtempest.com/ to anyone looking to check market value and going prices. It's a third party search engine that will perform a nationwide Craigslist search. This is helpful so you can not only see cars your may be competing against but shows you what others are asking as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:48 pm 

assuming its as clean as it looks, you can most likely get alot for it with the right buyer. apparently when i wasnt home some guy walked into the garage and asked if i would sell my 79 Supra, kiddingly said 10 grand and i guess he immediately said sure. and its got a bit higher mileage than your Corolla. so apparently theres a market for everything

best bet in my opinion is get it professionally appraised and dont be in a rush to sell. id guess a average person would probably give you around $5k for it, someone looking specifically for a 79 rolla maybe +/- $1000 more. list it for something like 8 grand or considering offers because you know someones gonna lowball you

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 12:07 am 

This is a bit late but...

NADA is kind of a joke with old Japanese cars. Kentucky has a terrible taxation system for vehicles, and because of a few factors I had to go off the NADA value when determining how much my 74 SR5 should be taxed for...with 33k miles on the clock (not sure whether it has rolled or not). The average retail value? Just over $1.5K :D

A friend of mine has a base model (6 cylinder, 3 speed, no options) 74 Ford Maverick he bought a few years ago for $900. I actually love that car, but even at $900 he sometimes thinks he overpaid. Same sort of issue, had to go off the NADA value. Average retail? Just over $5k. :roll:

KBB is only marginally better with newer vehicles. I am convinced that those "value guides" are to stroke the egos of people who think they have way more than they actually do, and to line the pockets of states with the same sort of laws as Kentucky.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 3:36 am 

she's magnifique :tu:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 11:29 am 

id say it depends on how fast you wanna sell.... 6k? these guys that ask 10k or up can get it but you have to find the right buyer...

its a super clean car though :tu:

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18604&p=158903#p158903

mx32 2jz swap in progress

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:47 pm 

A couple of months ago I put put my 79 SR5 liftback that i had just built same as yours for 7k and a month later old it for 6k.

yours is a sport coupe witch are even rare so you should start by 7.5k

Its also going to depend where you live, in the East coast theres a big market cause there scarce but in the west coast you find lots of them.

Post it in craigslist Houston, i sold my 81 and 82 SR5 Corollas there, big market.
also post them on houston imports forum.

Good Luck.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 14 posts ]