#
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: 1979 Cressadillac build
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 8:00 am 

i was thinking about xm's brackets for the x7 in my x3 too at one point; i was basing this off the fact that the x7 jz brackets they make go in the x3 with no problems i know of.

but i'd rather find a way to use Toyota's interchangeability to go to a steering rack instead of the box that it comes with while i'm in there anyway, and x7 crossmembers are cheap.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:05 pm 

While that is true. It is not terribly relevant. The steering system i have works and i dont have any broken components. So as long as the exhaust fitment isnt super terribly impacted by the box i will keep it. Otherwise you may end up dealing with a couple of issues. The subframe is where the lower control arm bolts to so depending on how far out the mount points are you could deal with lower control arm length issues. The steering column will need to be replaced as it is completely not the correct positioning. Also it is completely unknown to me if there is any way to attach our column to a steering rack. If not it would be a lot of extra work to graft in a steering column from an mx73. Lots and lots of stuff that i would rather not trouble myself with. So...if i can make the box type work i'll keep my super light effort power steering.

But hey, to each their own. Having yet to drive on urethane bushings, 8/6k spring rates, hts struts, stronger tension rods and a bunch of chassis reinforcements i can not say if there is anything good or bad about the steering system on this car in the first place. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:28 pm 

tbh, i think it will end up being more of a "put it in the bay and make it work" situation. custom LCAs dont bother me as much as making sure everything ends up okay from a geometry point. but since nobody has attempted doing this before there's no precedent to work from. the steering shaft to rack issue means i'll be modifying one or the other or combining them somehow. also not bothered by it.

with my steering the way it is, its probably going to be easier to retrofit a rack than fix it anyway. yours apparently works just fine though.

what's the clearance at your brake booster going to be like? you going to try and fit the stock booster in there or go with a smaller unit?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:15 pm 

Lots of great info here. You are doing a great job and can't wait to see the finished product. You have a very nice mx32, I'm actually doing the same swap in mine. I was going to re-do the steering but if the steering box works it's less trouble. That and I'm probably doing custom headers anyway. I do have a couple questions for you though. Obviously there needs to be some sort of chassis bracing, you went with the stitch welding, may i ask why? Why over the polyurethane foam? Also I've heard that you can get moisture and cause rust pockets. You know anything about this? Are you upgrading the fuel lines? Sorry i know very little about chassis stifffening and I've been trying to read as much as I can about it. That and I know with all the torque the body is going to want to twist.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 5:13 pm 

Following this one for sure! Really nice to see someone who's been there & done that right off the bat. Seems you're on the right track and I'm pretty stoked to see how this restomod turns out!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:25 pm 

Any updates to this? I am contemplating a 1UZ swap into a KE30 with some Mk2 Supra parts.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:32 am 

btw, someone recently modified the x3 crossmember to accept an x7 steering rack and mounting points. it looks awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:24 am 

That would be me ^
Ill get you guys updated pictures this week. I ran out of shielding gas last night

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:39 am 

now that would be sweet ^^. been wondering what i'm going to do with the sloppy box.. need to upgrade to something thats alot tighter :P.

Mitsubishi Galant 75'

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:53 am 

^ don't we all? :wink:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 2 of 2   [ 30 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2