#
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:23 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 1964 Tiara Pickup
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:10 am 

Hi

I'm currently looking at buying a Tiara Pickup.

They are scarce in South Africa, so parts might be an issue in the future.

Please see the pictures attached and let me know what you think.

Also if you can give me an estimate on what it's worth....

Post subject: Re: 1964 Tiara Pickup
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:45 am 

Hi,
Tiara's are scarce everywhere. I live in Australia and I own the wagon that is in an earlier post. Parts for these rare cars are always going to be an issue. I sent some parts over for another Tiara Pick Up owner in South Africa around a year ago. From the photo's this looks to be a very tidy Pick Up. These are very hard to put a price on, and Japanese classic cars don't demand the money that they should (especialy here in Australia). Utes (Pick Ups) tend to get more interest here but the value in the current Australian climate could be anywhere from $2,000.00 to $10,000 Australian.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:57 am 

I can get this one for R30000 or $4166 Australian.

Do you still have the contact details of the other South African owner?

I never even knew these existed in SA.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:02 am 

That seems like a reasonable price.
This car is missing the stainless trim down the sides along with trim around the windscreen. It does not have the original rear indicators and number plate light. The number plate light that is above the number plate at the back is not factory (Unless they did something different for your market). The dash pad has been removed and the dash has been painted a different colour to the original one. Upholstery has been redone and original rubber floor mat has been replaced with carpets. This is all the sort of thing that needs to be done with these old cars. Another dash pad would not be hard to make though. The trim on the Wagon is the same as the ute (Pick Up). Have a look at my wagon in the earlier posts if you want to see what you are missing. You will notice that your front grill is the same as a 1963 or earlier model but the badges and indicators are the same as the 1964 model. I have seen this sort of thing on utes here in Australia. It seems Toyota used up older model parts on the newer model utes. If you have a look at the grill on my wagon and the grill on the ute you are looking at, you will see the difference. If you compare your grill with the other ute in South Africa you will see that yours looks the same. The difference is that yours has oval holes for the latter model indicators.

I have looked through my old emails and I cannot find any correspondence with the other ute owner in South Africa. He was an elderly gentleman and it was his daughter that tracked me down for him. I will keep looking for you. Here is a photo of the guy sitting in his ute. As you will see he is missing most of the things you are. His car is a 1963 or earlier model. I think from memory I was told that his was purchased off the Toyota Trade ship that traveled around the world showcasing Toyota's (South Africa being the last stop). That would put it around 1961-2.
I'd say, the one you are looking at, along with this one would make up the majority of what is in South Africa.

John
johnnyrhino@msn.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:34 am 

never seen one before here in my place

but if theres any, i want one :tu:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:17 pm 

Thanks

The strip on the sides have been removed because it was incomplete, so all the holes got filled.

The owner told me about the dash top, he said it looked better without it.

The number plate light on the top is not supposed to be there. They were supposed to remove it when the ute was painted.
It got refitted because the holes were not filled.

The rear indicators I won't know, he's got another set available.

The ute also comes with lots of spares, spare engine and gearbox, rear lights, front lights, alternator, starter and all sorts...
The owners got another one that's been stripped and all the spares came from it.

Do you have any other ute or wagon pictures available??

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:10 pm 

It's good that you would have a spare motor. The R motor is not the same as the later R engines (2,4,12R etc) and parts are no longer available. I believe the engine could be a copy of some other engine but I have not been able to find an engine that is the same. A latter model 2R, 4R, 9R or 12R engine will bolt up to the original mounts and gearbox without any problems. Anything latter than this will not. Most Tiara's don't have the stainless trim around the windscreen because the windscreen seal has been replaced at some time and a seal that would accept the original trim could not be found. I have found a supplier of the correct seals for the front and back screens.
It's no big deal if you have to replace a part with a non genuine part or leave trim parts off because they are incomplete. Always try to avoid doing something that would prevent you putting the genuine parts back on if they turn up down the track. The important thing is keeping these things going. Here' s some more pictures of some Utes and wagons for your viewing pleasure. Got to love the crew cab ute. I threw in a racing sedan as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:40 pm 

Thanks John for all the info and pics.

This ute's been messing with me for a while now and it's time for me to make up my mind.

I also noticed that SA models do not have the nice chrome wheel caps. Can they still be found?

I also need to source some mirrors because this one's got none.

Where do you get oil filters? air filters? for servicing.........

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:07 am 

More pictures..

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:17 am 

Most Tiaras don't have caps. They had a tendency to fall off over bumps and Toyota had not yet started making the caps out of stainless steel, so if you find them they are usualy very rusty. If you look at the photo's you will see the 1960-63 caps are different to the 1964-65 caps. 1965 Tiara's (RT30's) were only available in the USA and had 3R engines fitted. I have a set of caps to suit yours and mine (as well as a set for the earlier type) but I am keeping them incase I ever want to convert mine back to original. I have put Hilux disk brakes in my wagon and have had to use the Hilux 14inch wheels. You will see that I have fitted 14" Hollywood moon caps. I think they look the part. They are also available in 13". There is one after market nos air filter element available on ebay at the moment but nobody produces them anymore. They are the same as the RS40 Toyota Crowns from the same era. If you look at the pictures of my wagon you will see that I have fitted a hot rod style air filter. The original filters didn't have the seal on the filter but relyed on on rubber seals in the filter housing. Usualy these seals are missing or stuffed. The best option is to remove the seals in the housing and use air filter elements for a Mitsubishi Scorpion. These filters have a sealing surface on the filter itself and fit nicely.
Oil filters have a different part number to the early oval RT40 2R engine oil filters, but they are the same element. I think you may have to sorce an o ring or two. I guess this is why they have a different part number. Oval filters to suit the 2R engine are still available genuine trough Toyota. I can give you the part number if you need. Fuel filters are available genuine and non genuine. Upper and lower ball joints are available along with outer tie rod ends. All light lenses are available as new reproduction items. Windscreen seals are avalable non genuine. A spare windscreen is a good item to get hold of as they are no longer available. I have looked at getting them reproduced but the initial tooling would cost arount $1900.00 and then each screen would be $150-$200. There is not enough interested owners to make this viable.
Originaly these cars had guard mounted mirrors like the one on my wagon. Deluxe models in Japan had mirrors on both sides. Genuine mirrors are getting hard to find but similar after market items are still available. There is a set on ebay here in Australia that are around $85.00 for the set. they look to be good quality and similar to the original item.
You will strike problems finding things for these cars. It is only because of the years of work that I have put in that I know this stuff and can source these items, but isn't that what makes them unique?

John

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:13 pm 

Hi,
I found the address of the other Pick Up owner in South Africa I was talking about. If you are still interested you can email me and I will give you the details.
John Ryan
johnnyrhino@msn.com

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:05 pm 

This one is for sale in Australia at the moment.

Not posting to sell mods, just showing another rare car out there.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... K:MEWAX:IT

AE86 Levin GT
KE15 Sprinter SL
TE27 Levin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:52 am 

why are all the really cool Toyotas not in the US. this suck :td: just one more vehicle i really want

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:24 am 

yella81celica wrote:
why are all the really cool Toyotas not in the US. this suck :td: just one more vehicle i really want

Perhaps it is grass is greener?

In Japan the real pimp daddies are driving USDM Toyotas.

Camry SE, Tundra, Camry Hybrid, LX570...

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 2:35 am 

That's because there is no Toyopet (Toyota) Corona (Tiara) RT26G wagons left in Japan! I don't know if there are any Pick Up's, other than the one in the Toyota Museum.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 5:38 am 

The ute that is on ebay at the moment is gorgeous.

Owner set his reserve at $8500...finishes tomorrow.

KE15 SL Sprinter - KE10 Corolla - TA22 Celica - KE35 Corolla Club Racer - AE71 Corolla

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:14 am 

And sold :)

Going to a very good home ;)

KE15 SL Sprinter - KE10 Corolla - TA22 Celica - KE35 Corolla Club Racer - AE71 Corolla

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:23 pm 

I know this thread is quite old, but I figured i'd revive it for anyone who has been searching..
It's not mine so don't pm me, I just happened to come across it and thought i'd share. No pictures but it sounds good?
http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/helidon/ ... 1015083975
Quote:
For sale: 1962 Toyota Tiara Ute
Price and price conditions: $15,000.00 Negotiable
Description: "This is very straight and clean original classic only 2 owners is in good going order ,interested buyers only!!!! if interested please call me and i will e-mail photoes."
Contact Details: Australian mobile phone #: 0488051759

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:57 pm 

Very cool vehicle indeed.

72-87 Civic
84-87 CRX
86-89 Integra
79-87 Prelude
76-89 Accord

Parts, cars, collectibles and more!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:11 am 
JNC Enthusiast

Love 'em!

Period alloys looking damn tasty too! Neko.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 2   [ 22 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next