#
It is currently Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:03 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]
 Post subject: 1970 Toyopet MS51 Crown Coupe in the US
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:54 am 

I thought I would share the project I'm working on right now. My girlfriend and I are starting an import business here in the States and brought over our first cars last year. I hope it's ok to post this here since we are intending to sell the car. Please let me know if it's not. This will be a build thread, not a for sale ad.

So now on to the car. It's a 1970 MS51 Toyopet Crown. It's fairly rare as it's a Super Deluxe model coupe. As soon as I saw it, I knew I had to have it. Those giant front headlights were just so different from your typical classic car you see here. It's in fairly good shape overall. Unfortunately we bought it as a runner, but it never ran once it got here. The engine was so full of sludge I had to dig out gobs of gunk just to find where the oil drain passages were in the head. We tried to revive it, but it was too far gone, and I wasn't able to get the oil flowing again. At that point we decided to yank out the old 2m and put in something a little more interesting....a 2JZGE with a triple Weber setup.

I apologize, because I don't have any really great photos of just the car. This is when we picked it up at the port.

Here it is in our garage while I'm assessing the condition of the motor...we decided it was terminal shortly after this was taken.

We previously lived in LA, but have relocated to Kentucky to start our business. I trailered the Crown across the country, and the reaction the car got was amazing. The old guys loved it, they didn't know what it was, but they loved it. That was the most surprising to me.

After we got it here to Kentucky we got to work. Please excuse the messy shop, we're also simultaneously trying to fix up a vintage '50s service station to operate out of. That's me above posing with our new motor.

Motor mounts being fabbed up. Overkill, but just in case someone decides to drop a 1000hp 2JZ in it someday...

I modified the stock 2JZ lower intake manifold to accept the Weber flanges. The port spacing on the 2JZ is almost exactly the same as the throat spacing on the Webers. You can see where the outermost intake runners needed to be straightened out to realign with the ports. The stock manifold has them sweep towards the center before connecting to the upper manifold.

Here it is all tacked together and being test fit on the engine for the first time.

We're doing more than just the engine swap too. I'm also converting it to rack and pinion with a Daewoo Lanos rack. It's a center pivot rack, so I made a new 'drag link' that attaches to the rack with a bracket. This allowed me to keep the steering geometry correct. Step one was to make this stand-in mock-up to verify my measurements. I welded a couple pieces of tubing to the chassis and uses a string to represent where the new 'drag link' needed to be located.

I'm still waiting for the new bracket to come back from the machine shop.

I guess that's it for now...I'll keep posting updates as I make progress.

Bird

Post subject: Re: 1970 Toyopet MS51 Crown Coupe in the US
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:02 pm 

interesting build. Besides the motor swap what other plans do you have for the car?
Keep the post coming....

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:01 pm 

We're not planning to do any body mods, but we are going to lower it, and we're having the stock steel wheels re-barreled. They were 14x5, now they'll be 15x7 front and 15x8 rear. I loved the look of the stock centers, so we decided to go that route. We're ditching the distributor on the 2JZ and going programmable electronic. Megajolt with some Ford EDIS parts. The EDIS system is a crank triggered setup and used a 36-1 trigger wheel. I need to take pictures of it, but I swapped the 2JZGE oil pump for a 2JZGE VVTI oil pump and lower timing gear so I could run a crank trigger. The VVTI engine has a mount for a VR sensor on the pump and used a 36-2 trigger wheel, so I tig'd the missing teeth back on, and then cut 1 off where I needed it to be to operate with the Ford EDIS system.

Bird

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:08 pm 

Looks like you're doing really high quality work!

I know many people get upset at people modifying these old cars, but I am a firm believer that cars are to be used.

Point "A" to point "B" cars are much superior to point "A" to point "A" cars. Bringing these old things into the modern world makes them much more useable on modern roads.

Looking forward to watching your progress

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:54 pm 

one of my all time favorite cars

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:45 pm 

Thanks Matches, we're trying to do right by the car. It was a tough decision to modify it. The car was very original, but had a lot of needs. We decided a little resto-mod flavor was the best course of action. My main goal is to make sure everythig that's done looks like it is supposed to be that way.

Now for a little update.I got my new steering parts back from the machine shop. I think I might drill some 'speed holes' in it to lighten it up a bit. I think I went a little to far in the overkill this time...it's really heavy, but it is a steering part. Can't cut corners there.

This is the actual steering rack that that bracket bolts onto. It's a center pivot, meaning the tie rods attach in the center rather than the ends. This one is from a Daewoo Lanos. I have to wonder what the guy at the junkyard in Europe thought as he packaged that up to be sent to the US...If you're doing a rack swap on a LHD car, you can find this same rack in LHD form in many Saabs, Chevy Berettas, Corsica's, and early 90's Cavaliers. If RHD, you'll be looking for a UK or Australian spec Daewoo Lanos. Not sure about where else it was used in RHD.

Here you can see the crank sensor mount on the oil pump I was talking about. The new pump is from a VVTI 2J, the old is standard 2JZGE spec.

Here it is mounted on the engine with the new modified lower timing gear and sensor (note this picture is upside down). The trigger wheel is built into the lower timing gear. Stock it was a 36-2 wheel, now it's a 36-1. I tig'd the two missing teeth on, then shaped them with a hand file. After getting everything set up, I cut off one tooth at the right point to work with the Ford EDIS parts. For a 6-cylinder application the missing tooth needs to pass the sensor 60° BTDC.

Here's the EDIS components. I pulled them and the pigtails from a 90's v6 Mustang. If you want the people at the junkyard to give you funny looks, go in and ask them if they have any 90's v6 Fords, and if they have any Saabs Corsicas or Berettas...(I needed a bracket for the rack). Then when you come back to the office, ask them how much they want for the transmission out of the mkII Supra they have in the yard...they had no idea what I was working on...

This is the computer that will actually control the timing. It's a Megajolt unit that with a TPS sensor will allow me to tune with a 3d timing curve. Without the sensor I can still set the timing curve based on RPM. The great thing about this system, if the Megajolt were to fail, the Ford parts default timing to a limp home mode of 10° BTDC. One of the many reasons using factory parts is awesome. Manufacturers pay a lot of money to design these parts, I try to use that whenever I can.

I also pulled the steering column. Need to get all the parts to go from Toyota column to Daewoo rack. I think I'll be able to get it done with two u-joints and a support for the shaft. I haven't decided if I'm going to leave the rag joint in place or not. I at least need to get a new one, as this one is beyond toast.

I also got the fittings I need for my vacuum system. I'm going to tap the injector bungs on the manifold for these. I needed a place to pull vacuum from each runner, and I needed to plug those holes, these will solve both those problems. They're 1/4 NPT to 1/4 push lock tubing swivels. I think they should make for a clean install. They'll run to a custom reservoir so I can still have power brakes. I need to get some pictures, but I decided to repurpose the old A/C drier into the vacuum reservoir.

This is my business partner and girlfriend...she asked why I didn't post her posing with the engine...so I had to include that, and the shot of her posing with the R154 she rebuilt for our Aerocabin.

That's it for now...more updates soon.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:26 am 

Awesome work.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:15 am 

Top notch stuff on a really kool Crown!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 8 posts ]