#
It is currently Sat May 23, 2015 7:56 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: my 1982 Soarer MZ11 GT Extra, resprayed, vvti swap, driven
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:03 am 

Hey all,

I like the cars in this community a lot, still active forums unlike some others so thought id introduce myself and my ride.

I love imports, specially early 80s Toyota's, and always wanted a 1st Gen Soarer or XX to build up. Once I found the car i was pretty much set without looking at it knowing i would be cruising in it one day. Since 2013 engine conversion finished, I've kept the car registered, to be enjoyed - still modifying slowly to date.

the 1981 Soarer was introduced with Toyotas first ever Digital Dash (debut here for Toyota, as per Tokyo International MOtor Show 1980 showing the Toyota-EX1 concept) . The concept used some fibre optic wiring, which all Production models actually utilise. The coupe luxury gran-tourer was designed to replace the aging Toyota Crown Coupe (the 1981 one was ugly as) and Mark II coupes of the 70s. In 1984 the first gen Soarer introduced Toyotas first In-dash TV (EMV). I really like the TV display, reminds me of the NES, but they are very rare and only in the 1984/1985 MZ12 GT models, as an option. The first gen soarer was way ahead of its time and lots of it carried over into the Z20.

History:
I bought this first gen Soarer in 2012 but the original 5M-GEU dead (@ 160,000KM) due to poor maintenance by previous owner (single owner for 20 years in AUstralia). The old owner didnt really want to let the car go, he once thought he would restore it to former glory as well. It was stock standard Zenki (pre facelift) model, complied into AUstralia in 1992, so it had Fender mirrors removed from the 80s, aus spec seat belts fitted, that was about it. It has door intrusion side bars. Everything in the car is electric with cruise control, to the fender mirror controls, and it even speaks to you from an audible voice warning system (speaks Japanese in a nice womans voice) - all working still. The touch screen AC panel (a feature carried over on the top of the line Z20s as well) still works well, wired up to the JZX100 ECU and AC etc. Older folks who dont know Japanese cars are always stunned when they see the electronic controls from 1981. I dont think its gaudy at all, the car really does suit all purposes for me and its easy to drive :) Note that Z10s have more turning lock/circle than their Z20 older brother.

Specs:
1982 Toyota Soarer
MZ11 Extra Edition 2.8 GT
Exterior Stock was gold/brown two-tone scheme
Interior still stock velour cream/beige interior, with dark-red/brown leather bits

1JZ-GE VVTi from JZX100 halfcut - wired up like factory
Newer auto transmission used from JZX100 (with factory JZX100 ECU wired to MZ11)
Bonneville engineering M-to-JZ engine mounts
KYB shocks + spring combo lowered 2"
Toyota fender mirrors from MX62/MA63 import
SSR Mesh 16x8.5" -20ish offset all around on 205/55/16's
(Previously ran 14x8" hoshinos on 225 / 195 combo)
RX7 Fuel pump
2" ASI radiator with twin thermo fans
Auto transmission cooler
Full 2.25" exhaust including customized VVTi headers, high flow cat, twin tip muffler
Pioneer Carrozzerria light up box shelf speakers (blue led lights + turns red when on brake)
Sony USB/MP3 radio
HID front headlights
Rust removed & treated in 2012 (DIY job, with fibreglass) - so far so good
Resprayed in July 2014 - color is Subaru Obsidian Pearl (has little gold sparkle up close)
Front lip from YahooJP (+ MX73 stock lip is underneath that)
VIP garson cup holder :)
Dildo shifter
MA61 front bucket seats in grey
LED's all around Interior & Exterior, replaced all bulbs with white
Rex Kelway custom made strut brace (from MA61 toymods group buy years ago)
Full Mongoose car alarm with central locking

I used to daily this during 2013/2014 in Sydney and didnt miss a beat even during 40 degree heat or 5 hour long road trips, and the occasional midnight run :D. So i've come to the conclusion that all Soarer's are pretty superior cars, its handling is predictable and easy to steer, suspension is comfortable and enjoyable with a full car load of peeps. (Slides very easy, definitely suits a drift car). The cars build quality is of a high standard, in comparison to most cars now. I previously owned a Targa JZA80, MA61, RA65, AE101 GT. The soarer was built to enjoy and go everywhere possible - beach, mountains, city, highway, suburbs. Hasnt gotten much trouble from police (just a little). Very economical with the newer VVTi engine (goes 700km on highway full 52L tank), power is like a N/A JZA80 so its still fun.

Thanks for looking

I have a lot of brochures and collect a lot of Soarer 1st gen info over time, if you need something feel free to ask.

Post subject: Re: my 1982 Soarer MZ11 GT Extra, resprayed, vvti swap, driv
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:19 am 

I love it! :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:28 am 

Ugh I want those speakers! Rad stuff man.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:50 am 

Neat car. I like all the flashy lights in the dash. Late 80s cars have a nice spaceship feel to them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:53 am 

That thing looks perfect. I love the speakers. I need to find some for my car.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:06 am 

My word this is absolutely beautiful! The speakers are awesome! Would love a pair in the Leopard if I didn't have the OEM JBL's in it

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]