#
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:39 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: Need a little help. 1971 18R Corona starting problem
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:19 pm 

Its my daily driver, but basically gets me to the train station in the morning and back after work. So the issue is the car will start fine ONLY if I spray the intake with a little carb cleaner or starter fluid, when the engine has been sitting for a couple hours. If I start the car up and drive around to get the engine warmed up, I can then turn the car off and back on no problems without having to add the spray.

I just trying to think of the things I can go thru to try and troubleshoot this problem

Post subject: Re: Need a little help. 1971 18R Corona starting problem
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:11 pm 

from what you describe, obviously it's a fuel problem, I remember going in such cases ....
is that in the carb, there is a regulatory buoy, which is what is seen through the glass of some carburetors, the function of the float is to keep an adequate amount of fuel for starting, and that buoy ture and makes it empty the tank, which will make it difficult cold start.

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:48 pm 

To me it sounds like the choke is not clicking down and or the plunger on the carb isnt working. Since the car turns on fine after its been driven around.
When you pump the gas pedal twice before you start the car. The 1st one is to make the choke click down and the plunger to give a shoot of gas and the 2nd is to give it another shoot of gas. To make it easier for the engine to start..

78 Corona Wagon ( my first car)
91 MR-2
79 Datsun 620
56 VW Bug Ragtop ( someday it will be running )

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:54 am 

Your problem might be that when you leave the car for a couple of hours the fuel inside the float bowl evaporates. That's why you need to spray it with carb cleaner so the engine can run and the fuel pump can "pump" fuel back into the float bowls. That can also be the reason why when the engine is warm you can stop/start it fine without problems, cause the fuel hasn't enough time to evaporate. Next time it happens try and look into the sight glass to see if there's fuel in the bowls. Just my 2 cents thou, just a backyard mechanic, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :D

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]