#
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:56 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: 1977.5 Corona RT105 Build - Seattle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:40 pm 

Hi, My name is Basset Popal, I'm 16 years old, I live in Seattle, Washington, this the Build thread for my Corona:
I bought my 1977.5 Toyota Corona 20R 5speed on Saturday 05/26/12. With x24k miles on its 5digit dash. It has a Strong Running Motor and very straight body. I drove it from Lynwood, WA to Renton, WA on the freeway with no issues. Needed a some work like the rust holes in the edges of the trunk, parts of the interior and dash was taken off and was laying in the trunk. Needed Carb work, Paint, and emissions lines plugged. It seemed like the last few owners did not bother washing the car, cleaning the interior, or even take care of it properly in years. The interior was seriously F***ED UP. Fast Food wrappers, over $2 in change, rocks, leaves, ketchup packets, and a zillion tiny things scattered all over the carpet. It was the dirtiest I've ever seen in any car. First thing i did was vacuum the interior and take out all the parts scattered around in the rear seats and trunk and organize them into boxes. Then i pressure washed all the moss, dirt, and other dirty shit growing along the exterior trim, windows, hood, and engine bay.
My goals for this is to be a nice clean stanced classic Daily Driver
______________________________________________________________________________________
6/4/12
oh... if only i took a picture of what the Engine bay looked like before... you would have cried from how dirty it was...
This is how it looked like after pressure washing the gunk down. Still not very pretty... but whatever.
my trunk, full of some teasers...
________________________________________________________________________________________
6/5/12
Cleaner Pic
_______________________________________________________________________________________
6/20/12
Got some stuff done
-Brushed/Polished the valve cover, and got rid of most of the gunk.
-Bought a bunch of spray paint- Cans of Rust-Oleum Dark Grey/Black Primer and other colors.
-Bought Rotella T5 Motor Oil with a Wix oil filter
-Bought sand-sponge, shop towels, and masking tape.
Took off the bumper covers, and bumper to sand down the rust and re-paint it...
It took me about an hour trying to get the bumper off... I Broke about 10 out of 30 bolts on the bumper alone from all the rust.
Once i finally got both bumper pieces off, i took off the grill, outer headlight covers, and decided to sand and re-paint them too.
________________________________________________________________________________________
6/22/12
Sanding was basically done. Just needed a few more touch ups.
The dam rear end is rust city...
I set up a painting booth behind my dads workplace in one of those white plastic car tent/garages.
all the parts just layin there
6/25/12
Painted the primer layer. It was still drying off, but i have to admit i did a pretty shitty job. There were a lot of run offs and uneven spots. I will just sand down the bad spots and even everything out before I give it another layer, and the next layers to come.
Right before the paint
After (Still drying off but still very uneven)
I ended up scuffing up the paint until it evened out. It was even, but i hated the color.
9/4/12
After a few more days of trial and error with spray paint, i decided to do it right. I ordered a paint gun, and got 1 gallon of 1 stage gloss white paint to finish it up and lay it over the primers. From July to September, i didn't have many chances to work on it, so progress was very slow. But finally on 9/4/12, i finished up the paint. I have an entire paint theme set out in my head, and it will be going under a crazy transformation. But it will take a while. So until then, here's a teaser.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
October 2012
I basically rolled around like this, still needed work and i felt like it wasn't done.
__________________________________________________________________________________________
11/3/12
I finished sandblasting the wheels (Cressida SnowFlakes) that night, and the next day i powdercoated it 2 stage Deep Candy Purple.
This was the halfway point when sandblasting. I'm doing all the work at MeisterWerk garage.
Finished Product

(today 11/16/12)
I got the wheels on and they look great. There are a lot of other things I've done to the exterior since then, but i haven't got a chance to take some recent pictures.
But now, I'm having a crazy problem with the 20r Motor... It keeps misfiring. I replaced the Spark Plugs, Spark Plug Wires, Distributor Cap, Distributor Rotor, Ignition Coil, EGR+Emissions Delete, and Removed the Catalytic Converter.
It all started about a month after driving the car around. It would barely ever happen, maybe like one quick studder after driving around for 30 minutes. As i kept driving i noticed that once the car warms up (but the thermometer never goes past half) it would start studdering and misfiring. As time went by, it would happen more often and sooner. From 30 minutes, to 20, to 10, to where i could barely make it school. A week ago it started misfiring within 5 Minutes, it started to lose the spark in one cylinder (I could smell the unburnt fuel) Then After one cylinder is completely gone, another cylinder stops sparking, and it's barely running, and usually shuts off right then. NOW, right when i turn on the car, it's running on 3 Cylinders.
But get this, When i reach down and pull UP/Left on the distributor itself (not the cap) it starts firing on all 4 cylinders and sounds perfectly normal. (the distributor doesn't actually move, bolted tight) The Distributor Timing is at the most Upward/Left Position that it can be and is bolted on tight.
The only way I dealed with it was leave it for a few hours to fully cool down and run it again at cold start.
I don't know what the problem is. My current guess is Distributor, but the only ones i could find online are Used ones for <$75, a $250 modified oem one, and a $350 1 Piece Racing DUI HEI Ignition Distributor.
I tried adjusting and tuning my carb a bit to fix it, but it didn't help. I don't think my timing is an issue because i ran the car for a month straight without ANY engine problem at all. And i honestly have no idea how to do a valve adjustment or to check and see if that's my problem.

Criticism, Idea's, and Help is appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Boss-RT105 on Fri May 17, 2013 5:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Seattle 77.5 Corona RT105
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:02 pm 

I'd ditch the purple wheels. It's not a civic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:50 pm 

I love this. Keep the wheels, those are awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:29 pm 

Nice Corona. Great work! Do what you like with the car. Its your car and your time and money. Enjoy it!

What did you do about the weather stripping, door, windows, and trunk seals?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 4:11 pm 

Presamax wrote:
Nice Corona. Great work! Do what you like with the car. Its your car and your time and money. Enjoy it!

What did you do about the weather stripping, door, windows, and trunk seals?

I actually didn't have to do anything to them. They've held up fine; no leaks so far in the Seattle rain.

Post subject: Re: Seattle 77.5 Corona RT105 Complete Restoration Build
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 12:47 am 

wheels look sick homie. like the color combo. AND you are rocking an old school toyota at a young age. :tu:
post some pics of the whole car!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:48 pm 

Decided to re-do all the paint. I'm doing some bondo work along the body to make it perfectly straight and then give it more coats of white to give it the true glossy shine. Also painted the interior trunk, and the engine bay is next.
Also re-painting the dash stuff and making everything fresh.

I got my MSD 6AL-2 Ignition Box, and now all i need is a wiring diagram for my car. I havn't been able to find one online, so if anyone has one, PLEASE send me a picture or something!! Im begging you guys!

stay tuned for more updates... and again, i really need a wiring diagram!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:48 am 
Mild Cam

Great progress so far! Can't wait to see a shot of the whole car after its most current paint job, especially with those wheels.

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:34 am 

Man, those wheels are going to POP against a clean white coat of paint. Nothing wrong with making a statement, especially when it's saving an otherwise beat up car from the crusher or being completely bagged. :tu:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:57 pm 

i think you could find a haynes book on ebay for the diagram. keep up the good work man, i rarely see these

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:47 pm 

wiring is super easy and so simple. they literally just like any carbed engine unless u wanna do crazy stuff with dash etc.

one of my old corona. now its my buddy's.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:06 pm 

Nice work so far! :tu: Thats one hell of a cool daily too!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 7:29 pm 

Any updates?

I have a 67 RT40.

Always loved this body style

Post subject: Re: 1977.5 Corona RT105 Build - Seattle
PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:08 pm 

I would have had this updated by now, but my pictures are over the 1000 pixels height limit...
I thought this website would be able to automatically downsize it just like all the other forums.
I have so many pictures to show, is there a way i can easily downsize it, without having to go through like 50 pictures individually?

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:49 pm 

Open an account on photobucket.

There you can fix them resize them and post.

Nice build by the way.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 2:41 am 

Nice! another rt105 on the road :mrgreen:

http://s78.photobucket.com/user/bong101 ... 974%20ra21

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 6:07 pm 

Sorry for late updates, but I've done a mad ton of work to it since last updates, so here it goes.

Here's more of the paint work from January
1/11/13
1/12/13

ENGINE BAY WHEN I FIRST GOT THE CAR

1/13/13 - After

1/21/13 - Right before new paint.

I was more focused on the Corona than my birthday on the 22nd, i powered through and tried to get as much work done as possible haha.

1/23/13 - Fresh couple layers of white

2/12/13 - Returned the MSD Box and just converted the ignition system to an HEI type

After a couple more adjustments I got her running somewhat reliably for a while. Decided to black out the front end. Experimented with wheels. Custom made the exhaust from headers out.

3/9/13 - Stancewars / Nw-Built - GoldenGardens car show roll in. SBR Photography

3/11/13

3/13/13

3/15/13

3/16/13- at a meet in LynnWood WA

3/26/13- Fender Mirrors and 4 more freshly painted Red Supra Rims

3/31/13

3/31/13 View of Seattle, Washington

4/3/13 Suede Wrapped Door Panels

4/15/13 - Kaitlin Cadero Photography, at Purpose Built's garage party

4/17/13 - Went Off-Roading and Rallied the Corona

4/19/13 - Suede Wrapping the Dash Pad

4/25/13 - Repainted the rims for a 3rd time

4/26/13 - I thought my old carb died so i dropped in a new Weber 32/36 DGV
4/27/13

4/28/13 - Had some wiring issues and the car kept dying on me randomly. But i finally found the short after 2 days of looking. I had my friends tow me home a couple times haha.

5/1/13 - One of my brake calipers seized up on me so i replaced that, and bled all the brakes while the car was down.

5/1/13 - Interior- Suede Wrapped Dash and door panels. Put the Grey carpet and rear seats from the Eclipse in the Corona. Traded the purple snowflakes for New Seats & Harnesses

5-10-13

5/9/13 - Had to get towed home again. Still had the wiring short... Thank god for friends with trucks!
5/9/13 - got to work on hunting... ended up finding it the next day.

5/11/13 - Decided the repaint the rims. I started hating the color combo, especially the rear end.
Front wheels still haven't been repainted. Trying to figure out if i should just go gold/bronze in the front too, or mix it up with silver/chrome. Overall, SnowWhite pretty much looks like this.

5/15/13 - And i got neon underglow, for the hell of it. It was cheap. You can hate all you want, i like it haha.

I'm still working on it bit by bit... So far its fun as hell to drive. Hoping to weld my diff soon, and then run it on the dyno. I have no idea how much power it's making and I'm actually very curious. I also want to take it out to open drifts once in a while.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:45 pm 

Legit man keep it up!

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:59 pm 

Looks good. Ya I agree change the funky color combo to something else. I'm not sure if i like how far out the distributor sticks out.

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 9:02 pm 

:tu:

Like how the neon light just glows everywhere :lol:

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 3   [ 53 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next