#
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:50 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: RT84 Corona Rotary...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:59 am 

Well after browsing this forum i've decided there is nowhere near enough of these on here. I'm a huge fan of the wagons of the same era but sadly these must have not made it to nz so this is the next best thing in my opinion.

i brought it as a very much unfinished project. A mate of mine was building it and decided he wanted something new and as i had done a bit of the electrical work on it in the past and mentioned to him if he was to sell it id buy it, turns out he did want to sell it and so i got it!

here it is the day i got it

basically it had just been painted and not yet polished.

My mates father being a panel beater done the painting and removed all the rust in it (and there was a lot!)
pretty much replaced the bottoms of all the doors and guards, gutters along the roof, front of the bonnet and the boot was so bad they made up a fiberglass outer skin for it. it was very close to being scrapped so luckily they didn't do that.

now some people might not agree with this next bit but anyway i like it and thats all that matters :D

had a 12a Bridgeport mounted up in it ready to be wired, plumbed and etc. which is perfect for me as i have little to no welding skills :td: and all the mounts were already done for me and the tunnel modified to fit the gearbox.

major stuff needing done was;

fit accelerator cable and new pedal as the old one used a linkage
make new pipe up to go from the clutch master to slave
tidy wiring
big cut n polish
fuel lines
mount and plumb up fuel pump and reg
make exhaust (get someone to make exhaust)
paint boot and bonnet
heater hoses
get it tuned once its going
few other bits n pieces i can't think of right now
and finally it needs certification for the modifications done

thought this was very cool has all the stubs in it for all the scheduled services it had in the early 70s

tidying up the engine bay before and afters

accelerator pedal from an EX lancer lol :mrgreen: perfect!

some bloody expencive gearbox oil

and this is how it sits at the moment waiting to be rechecked for the certification then i can finally drive it, legally anyway :P the engine isn't even run in yet

only thing i want to do now is find a nicer set of wheels but having trouble deciding on some. thinking 14" or 15" 7 or 8" wide. I did buy some 14" SSR longchamps for it but they ended up on my EX Lancer and i cant bring myself to take them off cos they look so dam good on it plus it kinda my daily at present. once wheels are sorted i will see if i can get it a bit lower. i have compressed springs and 2inch blocks for it but with these in it there isnt enough suspension travel to keep the certification man happy so they will be going in after the cert process is done with 8)

Post subject: Re: RT84 Corona Rotary...
PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:45 am 

That looks tough!! Great looking little cars and love the rotor swap...You kiwi's do some mad rotor conversions!!

Keep us updated!! 8)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:39 am 

very cool idea. execution looks great, the big 5 spokes look somewhat out of place on it, i actually like the steelies better!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:03 pm 

Hey man I'm from New Zealand and doing the same conversion as you a 12a bridgy. I just wanted to ask if you could send me some pictures of you engine mounts and your exhaust,how it comes off the block. I done some measurements and I'm struggling to get the exhuast pipes to clear the front chassis rail. And did you modify the sump? Cheers

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:41 am 

Corona__man wrote:
Hey man I'm from New Zealand and doing the same conversion as you a 12a bridgy. I just wanted to ask if you could send me some pictures of you engine mounts and your exhaust,how it comes off the block. I done some measurements and I'm struggling to get the exhuast pipes to clear the front chassis rail. And did you modify the sump? Cheers

sorry for the late reply man, check out this guys later posts on his build http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=17602&start=60 ,
he has done things very much the same way as mine. although my sump hasn't been modified or the crossmember.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:58 am 

so its been a while between updates, nothing major has happened with this apart from finally getting through the certification process and finally become road legal!!!

fitted up these wheels and they look dam fine!

also a wee video of it running pretty mint

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vc1xLmzMWDE

also started fixing up the paint (flattening out the peelyness) very time consuming but it will be all worth it when it shines like new

and just cos...

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]