#
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:38 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Post subject: Re: My 1974 Corolla SR5
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:19 pm 

@TPRmotorsports, thanks for the advice on the "whacking." My engine started making that noise a while back, and I have all but gone into "save up for a rebuild" mode since then. I'll have to go into the garage once i'm off crutches and check that out!

@JKwade, thanks for starting this thread! I'm glad someone's motivated/situated enough to treat a mango right!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:08 pm 

Anytime, as mentioned before, please feel free to contact me for any help info anything I can be of any help to.

Thanks guys, n let's keep these old school imports alive.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 1:10 pm 

Back from the dead!

So after the usual array of delays associated with project cars which set me back...some months, I have finally made some progress on the TE27. The engine has been rebuilt and reassembled, and is once again resting cradled in the chassis. I could go into more detail, but frankly that is the better part of the story! I will upload some pictures once I have it cleaned up a bit.

However, before that point there are some lovely electrical gremlins to work out. After dicking around with the Griffin radiator I purchased from BRD, I have decided to sell it and the E-fan I bought for the car. I am sick of trying to get it and the associated plumbing to fit correctly. However, after refitting the original fan and radiator, it seems that I crossed some wires at some point with the aftermarket setup. When jumping the car, even with the ignition switched off and they key out, the the car has power. The tach fires up, and the brake light is on on the dash. Lovely. Furthermore, when I try to start the car, the solenoid just clicks. I haven't messed with it much since discovering all this (yesterday), as I really don't enjoy chasing down electrical problems. The obvious solution is to make a long overdue, long winded post to my favorite forum! 8)

The wiring under the hood isn't pretty, and there are some places were the PO hacked it up pretty badly. Thankfully with a car of this age, there aren't that many wires to deal with. Unfortunately, you often have to deal with the sort of crap I now find myself confronted with. If anyone has dealt with this problem before, I welcome any input as usual. Otherwise, I will eventually update when I have solved it myself!

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:31 am 

The starter issue is usually bad connections in ur factory harness. What I do and has always resolved the starter clicking issue(assuming ur battery is not dead J) is I run a wire straight from the ignition switch on the column to the starter solenoid, the issues is that if u find the wire on the ignition switch and trace it all the way to the starter solenoid u will find out that there are several connections from when it starts to where it stops, those connections are bad quality and not even remotely sealed by no means so they corrode, so the signal drops at every connection and by the time it makes it to the starter solenoid the signal so week that’s why it sounds like u got a dead battery when the battery is actually fully charged. I have even noticed that on my cars that convent been repaired and strat having the clicking issue u can sometimes get it to work by making sure there is zero load on the battery, for example and maybe not everyone picks up on these patterns but I have, I have noticed that I would get the clicking if I had my foot on the brakes but it would work if my foot was off the brakes, then the light finally turned on in my head(no punn intended lol) when I put my foot on the brakes it would draw power from the battery worsening the existing low power signal to solenoid issue with several bad connections on the solenoid wire. Same thing goes for starting the car with the door open and the dome light is on, or starting the car with the park lights on or starting the car with the radio on etc etc etc, I think u get the point.

You should be able to easily trace the wire from the solenoid back to the ignition switch on the column, it’s a thicker black wire with a white stripe(if I recall correctly but verify that), I usually cut the wire about 3”-4” from the ignition switch and run a new but connected wire to the solenoid where I put a new covered spade connector.

Like I said, if u have already done the basics as far as making sure the battery is charged , the battery terminals and lugs have been cleaned, u got good grounds, and u have a good starter, and u still have the clicking issue, then this is the fix for you.

Good luck and please let me know if u need any further explanation or more details.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:43 pm 

Back to basics you say...maybe I should remember to ground the engine next time? (doh!)

So here is where I am at now. Does it run? Yes. Does it idle? ...yes! The carbs are out of sync (tuned by ear), but it is reasonably smooth at the moment. I have a friend familiar with the synchronization process and who is equipped with the tool. I am waiting to be able to have him come do a final tune for me...I expect it should be easier than the triple Webers on his L28! Things are slowly getting together...the tranny is topped with fluid and the interior is back together. Once I have filled the rear end and bled the clutch, I will take it on its maiden voyage (since the rebuild). I couldn't be more excited!

There are still some electrical issues to work out, thanks to a combination of past shade tree repairs and puny factory wiring. My starter solenoid still just clicks sometimes, but I will try your suggestion and route the wire straight from the ignition to the solenoid. Here is one culprit, I think...

This was mounted on the fender next to the voltage regulator...does it serve any real purpose? I can't really find anything on it, and assume it must be a part of the ridiculous '74 only wiring (read: ridiculous seat belt BS). It has one wire that leads to the ignition, another to the solenoid, and a tap that runs to the alternator. Sometime during all my fiddling, the connector to the solenoid wire broke off...go figure. So I removed it, jumped the wires that run from ignition to solenoid, and ignored the wire that ran to the alternator. And...success! If anyone knows why this relay was there, please enlighten me. I can't find another online, so when I redo some of the shoddy wiring, I am simply going to remove everything related to it.

Also, the electrics seem to have a mind of their own. The need to have my seat belt on before turning the key mysteriously vanished one day...an exciting development! I will eventually remove all the safety crap relating to the seat belt circuit, but this works for now. Does anyone have a schematic showing all the electrical relating to that system? I cannot find one anywhere.

Sorry I am so slow at updates, but I will try to continue to keep this thread going despite how irregular it may be.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:47 am 

Aaaaaand...

She's on the road! I am keeping this update short and sweet, as there is still a ways to go in the tuning department, but I was able to put about fifty miles on the car yesterday. My mixture, float levels, and accelerator pumps (adjustable on DCOMs like they are on Dell'Ortos, Solexes, and Mikunis) are all working against me, but man does it sing at certain RPMs. At least I balanced the carbs :lol: Of course, it would be a bit nicer if the exhaust wasn't totally original and riddled with millions of holes! I am going to be gone for several days, or I would go ahead and fine tune it some today and get a video up of it running.

Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:01 am 

That's great man!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:25 pm 

Glad you were able to get the car rolling. I also own a 2nd gen Corolla, a 4-door TE21.

Regarding the Starter Relay, you can just junk that sucker. It is part of the bogus safety system that is on your 74. That year Toyota installed a crazy electrical system that disabled your starter unless the doors were closed, the seatbelt was plugged in, your actual butt was in the seat, and the key was in the ignition. I have recently just finished trimming all the unnecessary wiring out of the whole car and it came out to be around 1.5 lbs!!! Be careful going in and cutting things though, since the car doesn't actually use chassis ground but instead uses wire harness ground.

I will probably make a post soon about how to remove the whole ridiculous safety system out of TE2x cars. For now I can tell you that you will remove the: buzzer, seat belt computer, starter interlock safety switch, starter relay, g-sensor, disable the seat sensors, and disable the seatbelt sensors. I have the original tech. manual for the seatbelt system and will post that up along with the delete info.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:59 pm 

Holy thread revival Batman!

I have unfortunately been away from my beloved TE for the past few months, as I have entered graduate school in Tucson, AZ. Only one week left til we are again reunited, and I am pretty excited about the prospect.

So if anyone wants to chime in, I want to bring up a problem I had with tuning the 2TC just before leaving. I found myself chasing my tail...pretty much endlessly with the tuning for a while (though I admittedly was not able to devote as much time as I would have liked before leaving). What I found after putting a timing light on the ignition was that the engine only ran right when the timing was super retarded. I'm talking 20 degrees or so BTDC (iirc, it's been a while). When I would advance the timing closer to where it should technically be, the engine would die and not start again. Is this an issue anyone is familiar with?

Also, I am running a Pertronix kit and coil. I assume that this would not cause such a problem, but it seems like pertinent information to include. I also assume my carburetors would not cause such an issue?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:47 pm 

20 degrees at what rpm? Total? I dont waste my time with initial. 40 year old dizzys never work like new. I always start at 32 total (NA) and adjust in 2 degree increments for optimum performance on the butt dyno.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:46 am 

That's ~20 degrees retarded at idle. I'm working off memory, so I am likely off by some.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:09 pm 

You probably mean advanced because I dont think it would even start at 20 degrees retarded. That or you need a new timing light.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 4   [ 72 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4