#
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 11:49 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: ***Please help me! TA12 with 2T fuel problem***
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:24 am 

Hi everyone, I have a 1972 TA12 Carina with a 2T that I need help with.

I was driving the car around and it was just fine, then I was in the freeway and the car started to run rich and would hardly move and sputter! I tried giving the car some time to rest and burn off the fuel. Then it would start doing it again. The motor setup was stock with the exception of a weber 32/36 and some headers.

Thinking that it was the carb, I swapped it off for a weber 45 DCOE (single) sidedraft and installed a new fuel filter and a fuel gauge also. I made a mistake and removed the distributor without going to TDC....i figured it out and fixed the problem.....then I got the car started and no clinging or misfire and pops from the motor.

The motor was running for about 10 minutes with the fuel pressure at around 2.5 to 3 psi, then it gradually started to fall til it was 0 and the fuel from the filter (clear filter from pepboys) started to drain and get empty til it went dry and the motor died.

A week passed since i was thinking on what else it could be. I ordered another mechanica fuel pump and installed it, I also rebuilt the 45 DCOE and when i installed it all, Bang! motor started again! fuel filter filled up and i did some turning for the carb! once again, ran for about 10 min then the fuel gauge started to drop again! Before the fuel filter dried out, I shut the motor off and now writing this post!

If anyone have any ideas of what else I can do, that would be great! Thanks in advance for taking the time to help out a fellow Toyo guy.

Rudy.

1972 Toyota Carina (TA12)
1997 Toyota Camry LE (98 Supra Headlights, Prelude SH tailights, EVO Ver.2 Wide Body, DC sports exhaust, Neon green under car kit, stock 4cyl but chromed out!)

Post subject: Re: ***Please help me! TA12 with 2T fuel problem***
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:21 am 

U might have a leak in the fuel lines, somewhere between the tank and the pump. Also there could be something in the tank that could plug up the fuel pick up, and once u shut the engine off it would drop to the bottom of the tank, and once u start it it would come up and plug the pick up tube.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:46 am 

Murad, thank you so much for the info! Im gonna pull the tank out this weekend and see what it could be! I did notice a lot of particles in the fuel filter when i replaced it so it might be all rusted inside! thanks again for the info and i'll keep you posted.

Cheers!
Rudy

1972 Toyota Carina (TA12)
1997 Toyota Camry LE (98 Supra Headlights, Prelude SH tailights, EVO Ver.2 Wide Body, DC sports exhaust, Neon green under car kit, stock 4cyl but chromed out!)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:39 pm 

Glad i could help

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]