#
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:29 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 6   [ 109 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: "Project Turquoise" KE20 build
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:37 am 

JDMwhiteboy wrote:
Amazing build so far! I dont hate you for leaving the holley set up. (I did haha). The sidedrafts are just much more cleaner of a set up. I cannot wait to hear videos of this thing.

Yeah, well I got a huge deal on the DCOE so the holley and intake is waiting on a shelf, I have a couple ideas for it ;)

Anyway, might as well update while I'm here. I've been pretty busy lately but manage to put a couple hours on the corolla. First I'm halfway through an AE86 rack depowering job... also decided to shorten the rack and cut more teeth for crazy angle madness... cut 8 extra teeth and shorten the housing by 52mm, giving me over 2" more travel at around 200mm... with my 110mm steering knuckle that should amount to "a lot of angle". I'll have to get a 2:1 steering quickner in there since 5 turn lock to lock is not so awesome. So expect lots of boring pictures about rack modification and depowering once it's completed.

Aside from the rack, I manage to do a bit of this

Results : cam center line is 108/108 on bluetop cams instead of the factory 111/111. 3 degres off resulting in more overlap. Actually the smallport cams are setup 108/108 from the factory. All in all it's way better than the old porsche t-belt trick :D

Also, forgot to show off my awesome idler brackets lol

So everything is now bolted solid instead of hanging on hopes and dreams

I also manage to goof around and do useless things... but I love symmetry ;)

Got to repaint the intake cover though...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:09 pm 

Well it's been some time since the last update.

I decided that the stock steering box on my peanut wasn't going to cut it and since I'm a cheap bastard, paying big bucks for a manual MR2 rack or what ever was never an option. So I got a free AE86 powersteering rack from a friend out of a wrecked Kouki and set out to turn it into something nice.

So I pulled every seal from it, both on the pinion and both on the rack and depowered it for good. First I remove the piston since it was limiting travel on the driver side, binding inside the tube...

...remove the control valve and welded shut the fitting on the pinion housing...

...and welded the pinion in one piece...

...effectively and cheaply turning the PS rack into a manual one for nothing more than 0.05$ worth of welding wire and gas ;)

Then you hear all the hipe around going with a manual steering because of all the extra awesome angle it gives you...

...so I did this

And since I have no mounting points on the crossmember, why play with a freaking long spacer when you can cut the rack to length (welded the fittings while at it)

So the travel went from this

to this

Take that MR2 rack!

Oh only trouble is the 4.75 turn lock to lock... but I'll get a steering quickner 2:1 on the column to get rid of that.

So all that's left is electroplate the tube and throw it all back together.

I also manage to seal the external oil pump. It lives in the suzuki oil pan so engineers didn't bother to seal it so here's what I did :

Cut a groove in the shaft

To fit a o-ring in there

All hidding away just on the lip of the case

For the 2 halves, the shape of the pump didn't allow to use an o-ring so I cut a groove and will use RTV to seal both halves

Since that pump will be running very low pressure, it should be able to keep oil inside... now that's the theory, lets see how it goes in practice.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:24 pm 

Well, lots of things happened.

I redid the oil pump bracket. Old one was not cutting it and since I intend to build motor mounts from scratch, might as well use that bracket for both purposes. Made it out of 1/4" plate so I can tap M8 for the 3 bolt holding down the pump and not worry about thread engagement and crap... and it should hold the engine and the oil pump without flexing ;)

So this is what the front should look like ("should" if nothing changes again). I modded the pump pulley (which is also why I needed to change the bracket since the offset was changed by 3/16").

And bonus, welding skills are slowly getting better

Got some big time help from the little man to pull the pan... soooo many M6 bolts in there ;)

To make room for my new home made drysump :

Shallow?

It's now drying outside... decided to dip it in unthinned eurethane paint to add a thick layer of protection and I couldn't paint inside the gutter any other way. Did the trick but takes forever to dry.

I modified the flange to fit the 7A cutaway on the intake side, wish I had a 20v windage tray to start with, would've been a bit easier and cleaner... anyway, the damn ARP rod bolt protrude by 3.5mm... and they do not clear the pan. Luckily, I need to pull the crank to get it balanced with the flywheel/clutch combo so I'll chop the end of all rod bolts to get the crank to turn over.

Damn japanese : you buy a flywheel...

...and they ship you a frisbee ;)

Hahaha I have yet to pull the crank and throw all that back to my machinist for balancing.

And I also got my hands ona really nice steering wheel, same color as my interior

And nobody can argue that it's not MINE ;)

Work also happened on the shell

Did that without a cherry picker... alone... thing is heavy but not "that" heavy. All that's left in the engine bay is the BMC and the steering linkage. Now I'll be able to take care of the rust, because the frame rails are looking bad!!!

I'll have to fab a new tranny crossmember with the new engine placement that will be both lower and farther to the rear to keep balance on the chassis... but I guess fabbing a new tranny crossmember won't hurt ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:38 am 

It looks like you are doing a great job with some creative engineering on this car! One word of warning though regarding the use of an o-ring on the oil pump shaft. An o-ring will typically not hold at all to friction. You will probably need to machine the oil pump case to accept a small lip seal like you would find on the timing belt driven oil pump from a Camry with a 5SFE. 4-cyl Honda Accords have small lip seal on the balance shaft and oil pump as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:52 pm 

Thanks for the advice although there is not a lot of place for such a seal to fit on the case. I've heard that o-ring could held up but I do agree that it's not a perfect solution :?

Everything fits like a glove

Except : being LHD, guess where the rack pinion goes? So I might have to trade my awesome rack for a stock one if I want it to stand a chance of fitting it along that silly engine. Or it may be time to find a clean RHD shell somewhere... ;)

Got the cam cover painted as well... turn out nicer than expected

Now can't wait to show up in a garage and ask for an oil check up lol

So here it is. Everything is fitting perfectly except for a couple little things on the coolant side that shall be tweeked a bit... so time to rip it apart, get the crank/flywheel/clutch balanced, chop the rod bolts, electroplate and paint what has been fabricated and throw it all back together... for the last time before startup.. I hope!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:28 pm 

Well, finally got to fix my mistake from a little while ago

One last thing to tweek concerning the coolant routing and then it's disassembly time... for the last time I wish.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:50 pm 

And manage to improve on the oil cooler water routing a bit.

Old setup had the hot side go back behind the water pump housing to be recirculated in the system. New setup has the hot water routed directly out to the rad.

I'm going to pick up a nice all alloy civic rad that a friend got in a bundle part deal, 2 or 3 rows can't remember.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:58 pm 

Astonishing!

So cool to watch your progress. Thanks so much for sharing.

:tu:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:47 am 

Well, for now the crank is sitting next to the engine bolted to the flywheel awaiting a trip to the machinist... and the engine is literally in pieces, quite a sad picture lol

Meanwhile, finally got my hands on a head that fits my home made DCOE manifold :)

I also got a really nice rad

It's for some kind of honda civic don't really know and care... all I know is that the hoses are on the right side and the core fits in the hole like it was made to go there.

Here it is next to it's stock counterpart, off an A/T civic... should have sufficient cooling.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 6 of 6   [ 109 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6