Alright, got off my butts, engine is on the backburner awaiting reassembly but I need a shell to throw it in so this happened
Tore the steering box away from the column... litteraly cut it off as it's the most retarded steering box I've ever seen... anyway all the steering linkage is out as well as what was remaining under the car : hand brake cables and the exhaust...
..which is rotten to oblivion... but anyway who would use that?
So the painful art of welding on my back upside down began...
Here is my amazing frame rails... when you can see right through it before hitting it with the wire wheel, you know you're in for a lot of crap...
Yeah, it's bad... so bad that I couldn't remove the crossmember as there is no place for the axle stands anywhere else... and this is not a good place for them right now lol
Luckily, the back section is mint
Remaking the front section after cutting out the rotten part
and reskin on top... I redid them as toyota did 40 years ago... I have some plans to reinforce the chassis but I first want to bring it back to stock specs before modding it.
Yeah, I've got a driver side frame rail !!!
Now on to the much worst passenger side
Well the passenger side was a real PITA... got tired in the end so welding looks a bit crappier... but it's all very solid and above all : rot free
And suddenly that engine is about to get a whole lot nastier than originally planned...
reduced compression height for even looooooooonger rods hehehe
So while the engine is stripped all over again awaiting the rods and all, I scrambled together a little mockup in the engine bay while the crossmember was still in there before attacking rust on the frame rails
Oh yeah! Decided on a 4° lean to the driver side and 4° lean backward to help put the oil drain at the lowest point. You've got to love the 3/4" plywood between the head and block to serve as a deck spacer to get the old bluetop block deack height at around 210mm (the 7A is 206mm but I figured an little extra clearance shouldn't hurt)
So I slammed it in the firewall
The head is not inline with the block : I need to shave the bump in the firewall for it go where I want it to. Clearly visible on the picture.
And thank god I used a short tail housing on my late T50 tranny because even then, it's a bit too far back. Longtail housing would've been on the handbrake or too close for confort. The whole motor/tranny assembly is a good 40mm back compared to dropping it in the 3K engine mounts
So I dropped the engine until I got 1/2" clearance between the pan and the crossmember... lots of room on top
Once the steering lock brackets will be cut, the oil fitting will clear no problem
But my biggest fear was the interference bettwen the oil pickup and the rack... but it clears with room to spare. Check the clearance with the crossmember
Fits like daddy in mommy
Even the darn header is litterally bolt-on, the flange connecting the front pipe bearly hits a heat shield bracket on the floor, but nothing a grinder will not cure... and lets not forget about the extra 4mm clearance using the real engine.
I also mocked up the rad to confirm that I had almost too much clearance
So no major hurdles with that. I'm also stoked that the AE86 header fits so nicely on that chassis... using a taller block.
So stay tuned, lots of good things are comming!