#
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:55 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 111 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Ryan's TE31
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:04 pm 

My corolla is now upgraded from garage space taker, to commuter. Now I feel that i can justify spending more on it. Pics because I like them:

Post subject: Re: Ryan's TE31 - Now on the road.
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:02 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:52 pm 
JNC Enthusiast

Looking good. Going to try and revive the paint? Looks like it could be salvaged till you decide to redo the whole body

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:48 pm 

UtahSleeper wrote:
Looking good. Going to try and revive the paint? Looks like it could be salvaged till you decide to redo the whole body

I am not sure. I have tried that on some parts with aggressive polishes, but It took a TON of work just to get a section done. The paint is very oxidized. Any tips on reviving the paint?

I have thought about pressure washing it, wet sanding it, and then clear coating it, but I am not sure what to do with the parts that have metal showing. any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:52 am 
JNC Enthusiast

I have no suggestions. I have just seen lots of cars that people revived the paint. Some people love Meguires.

Saw a blog somewhere that someone used Meguires and then Opticoat over top and had good results.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:52 pm 

I will have to look into something like this. I need to seal things up, and make it look decent until I can go ahead with a paintjob.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:56 pm 

I was bored and early on my way to work.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:10 pm 

Look what the postman has left.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:16 pm 

I have completed my seat swap (about time). These seats feel like lazy-boy recliners. I had to take apart the sliding mechanism to make it work and then modified it some more to make the seat belts fit and work properly. It would of probably been easier to build my own form scratch. Fitment is perfect:

I noticed my floors were wet after I arrived at work. the heater core sprang a leak and soaked my carpet on both sides with coolant. I was wondering why my coolant level was a little low. I took out the carpet and padding to avoid mold /corrosion issues. I have also bypassed the heater until I find another heater core.

I also cleaned up my freeway flyer diff. It's my S374 (3.583 ratio one). I cleaned up all the gears and painted the outside. I think I will put this behind my automatic until I have the space to do my 5 speed swap. all my stuff is buried in storage, so i have to wait on that. This thing will be a gutless wonder with a stock 2tc and an auto with high gearing.

I took the smog pump off my car. Now it doesn't make that whine in the engine compartment -YES! I have been enjoying driving the car, and it gets a lot of attention.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:30 pm 

If I am shortening my front struts, I might as well get another set, so I can build them while still using the car. I just happened to stumble upon a 1982 Cressida at the parts yard. Looks like they should work.

Sweet vented brake upgrade too.

I heat pressure washed them to remove all the oil and brake dust, and stripped apart the hubs and brakes. Brand new brake pads on it.

Spring compressors and an impact drill makes this simple:

Plasma cutter cuts like butter:

And then the grinder to make them a little more manageable.

That's where I'm at with them so far. I have 320# springs for the front, but they are only 7.25" tall. I might have to get some of the same rate in 10". That's all i got for now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:52 pm 

I like where this is going. :tu: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:13 pm 

john wrote:
I like where this is going. :tu: :mrgreen:

Me too.
More work done to cressy struts. I chopped out the middle, beveled the edges for better welding.
on the vice, ready for welding. That is the stock Cressida strut inside to line things up.
Weld her up
Then grind down the welds and check for holes: all good!
Shortened vs not
Cut small length of pipe for perch mount. Position so adjust-ability range is optimal.
Bases fitted and welded:
Add some primer and paint:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:52 pm 

I assembled both struts, and I did some measuring of my car. From rough measurements, I should achieve about a 3" drop on the front of my car due to swapping the struts. I am not sure how much the springs will compress with the weight of the car on them though. Its a stock te31 and the new springs are 320#. With almost 3 inches already taken off, the spring compression might make my car lower than I really want it. I can opt for 8 or 10" springs for a little more height. As you can see my adjusters are topped out to achieve the height they are at now. With a 10" spring I can bump them up a bit more.
My steering arms look as if they are interchangeable. The Cressida one has 1" longer arms than the corolla's stock, So Ill try to use the corolla ones on the Cressida struts.
This is about the height I am am looking for, but a little higher:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:32 pm 

Skellington wrote:

damn! look at all those goodies! almost exactly what I bought with the exception being T3 coilovers (i used honda ebay coils). can't wait to see this lowered!

also, i know for a fact that e20 to 86, and mx73 spindles are interchangeable. i also know that mx73 steering knuckles are usable with our corollas too. i had a couple of these out while my casings were being shortened.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:58 pm 

nfelge wrote:
Skellington wrote:
damn! look at all those goodies! almost exactly what I bought with the exception being T3 coilovers (i used honda ebay coils). can't wait to see this lowered!
also, i know for a fact that e20 to 86, and mx73 spindles are interchangeable. i also know that mx73 steering knuckles are usable with our corollas too. i had a couple of these out while my casings were being shortened.

I cant wait either! I love getting boxes of car parts.
Is a 1982 cressida a MX73? According to my rough measurements, It appears that the arms are interchangeable. However, the cressy arms are over an inch from strut to eye. I plan to use stock te31 arms to maintain original steering characteristics.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:04 pm 

Toyota was nice while designing these cars and mass most stuff interchangeable. You can run the knuckles, all it will do is increase your steering angle (mad JDM drift spec yo!). I actuall plan to run some in the future, I just need to go pull some lol.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:40 am 

Car is looking good! What lowering blocks did you get?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:51 am 
JNC Enthusiast

-Ya great pics. :tu:

-Would SR5 TE37 flares fit? :idea:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:17 pm 

nfelge wrote:
Toyota was nice while designing these cars and mass most stuff interchangeable. You can run the knuckles, all it will do is increase your steering angle (mad JDM drift spec yo!). I actuall plan to run some in the future, I just need to go pull some lol.

The Cressida ones will fit, but they are longer which would do the opposite of give more steering angle.

tayRolla wrote:
Car is looking good! What lowering blocks did you get?

3". They may be trimmed.

whit wrote:
-Ya great pics. :tu:

-Would SR5 TE37 flares fit? :idea:

I bet they would.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:45 pm 

very nice work.... your car brings back memories of a friends Corolla.... 30 ago.... his was a really beat upon TE31.... and his was green...

concern Toyota struts(for the other folks reading)... although very similar.... the kingpin angles are different depending on the model.... For example... AE86 struts in an E7 will automatically give the E7 positive camber. This is because the E7 is 12mm wider at the strut tops then an AE86 is... yet the lower cross member and control arms are just about identical.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 4 of 6   [ 111 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next