#
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:05 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]
 Post subject: 2M/4M power comparisons
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:16 pm 

I'm wondering if a few 2M/4M people can weigh in on this for me:

One of my favourite daily drivers was a 2M powered 69 Crown automatic. That car was surprisingly fast. A few years down the road I ended up with a 74 Corona Mk II that had a 4M, also auto, and it was quite a slug really. Not underpowered, but way below what the 2M was. I timed it, replaced everything about the ignition, rebuilt the carb, and nothing seemed to be able to coax more power out of it.

I had a conversation with a long-time Toyota dealership owner about it once, and he said he remembered a lot of the 4Ms coming back within a couple years after they were bought with similar complaints. He mentioned that he remembered the problem being that the camshaft wore more quickly than expected, and that this wasn't a problem which the 2Ms had. That Corona Mk II caried on without me and I never got it running as I thought it should.

So, fast forward ten years, and I'm again considering a 4M Mk II project, or a 2M Crown (or an 18RC Corona.) I know the easy swap for the Mk II would be to plumb in a 7M, but I like going for the stock look. What's been people's experience with getting decent power out of an older 4M? Are they almost always a bit anemic?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: 2M/4M power comparisons
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:38 am 

my 4me was always a dog.... it ran sluggish since i bought my cressida.

it finally gave up and blew a headgasket, and that's where the 2jz comes in

http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18604&p=158903#p158903

mx32 2jz swap in progress

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:22 pm 

4ME isnt really relevant to this thread, that engine is a whole different animal.

4M has a hemi head, so that's good. But their hp weakness is in the ports, runners, and manifolds. Spend your time and effort there first. So maybe some porting, headers, and a better intake manifold/carb setup. But headers are going to be tough to find.

I doubt many if anyone on this forum has any experience getting power out of 2Ms or 4Ms. If you want a bigger newer motor that looks old school, grab a 5ME with high comp 7M pistons, headers, porting, sidedraft carbs or even better, Ford 4.9 ITBs and Megasquirt. But that would be quite a build ($$$).

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:25 pm 

I'm willing to bet that another reason for the seemingly huge power difference in the 69 Crown and 74 MarkII had to do with different rear end gearing.

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 4 posts ]