#
It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:45 pm

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 54 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: 1973 Toyota Corona MarkII Wagon MX29
PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:58 am 

I've been working with the dash cluster hooking things up and replacing burned out lights. The speedometer cable had not been connected all the way so I hooked it up properly and it started registering correctly. In its first trip out I noticed that the engine was revving higher even with the clutch in. After some diagnosis and driving a little bit I realized that the revs would come down below 15mph. I would hear a little mechanical click from the dash board and the rpms would return to normal. I disconnected the cable and the car is back to normal.

I'd like to have a speedometer but not at the cost of the higher revving. Has anyone experienced this before and is there something I can disconnect electronically to be able to use the mechanical speedometer? I'm thinking it is some sort of primitive engine management and maybe its malfunctioning which is all the more reason I'd like to remove it. Thanks!

…more pictures and updates soon.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:08 am 

sounds like OD not engaging properly... if it were an automatic car.

could be vacuum or electrical related but i have no idea why a mechanical speedo connection to the gauge would affect the rpms at idle and under load. usually if there's something dependent on vehicle speed, it wouldn't read it from something attached to the gauge itself. and there shouldn't be anything between the transmission speedo gear and the speedo itself right?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:18 pm 

That's what I thought too. The back of the gauge has some metal circuitry but i hat to cut anything. I'm going to search for something controlling the pedal an throttle next. And yes, I would expect it in an automatic car but not a stick.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:58 am 

Weird. I think my speedo cable is snapped somewhere, need to look into that one day. Or maybe just swap in a GPS unit, oh such a period touch :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:05 am 

I finally started a thread for the parts car in the Toyota Swap Meet section and I will add to it as I get a chance.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=20290

Drove the car down to JCCS. About 700 miles each way. Was a fun show but the weather was extremely hot for Long Beach this year. Also had some issues on the trip home. I will post more in detail later but here are some shots form the road and show. They gave me a great spot right near the Toyota display and less than 20 feet from a 200GT!! If you've never made it to JCCS, it needs to be added to your bucket list.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:40 am 

Car is looking great! Glad there was a MX29 there this year to represent!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:08 am 

The Corona MarkII wagon is for sale.

I'd like to see it go to a good home. This is an opportunity for it to go quick and painless before I change my mind. I'm posting locally and on my threads first before any For Sale section. PM me for more.

That being said, I really like this car. I love the way it looks and I love the way it rides but I don't like to see it just sitting there and I don't have time to give it the love it deserves. As you may know, it didn't quite make it home under its own power from the JCCS road trip last year. I have isolated the problem to the carburetor and antiquated vacuum system. I have a new Weber that's all adapted and ready for a linkage.

The battery is good, the electrical system is good. When the carb is dialed in, I expect it to fire right up. Right now, its for sale as is and non running. The car comes with some extra body parts: a perfect hood, 4 good doors, extra windshield and some extra glass along with misc parts from a now parted parts car. I also have a 5 speed for it.

The car has great patina, rust free under carriage, new front disc brakes, a perfect headliner, great back seat, and its pretty rare, especially with the factory 4 speed manual . It can come with the DR20s and nearly new 195/50/15s or I have some crap tires to hold it up until the right wheels are found.

The 4M engine is still pretty solid. It does have a small power steering leak. And it needs an exhaust but it sounds pretty cool. There's a little more info on the car found on my Ratsun thread http://community.ratsun.net/topic/43946 ... %E2%80%A6/

Thanks! -Duane

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:12 am 

sooo tempting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:29 pm 

The window of opportunity is officially closed. I've had lots of support so the car will be staying in my stable. I should have some time to get things dialed in pretty soon but if not it will get mothballed till this winter when I can give it the love it deserves. Thanks for your interest :)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:41 pm 

Glad you're keeping her!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:16 pm 

Hi, do you still have parts off your corona mark II wagon? please send me a email at vwempire@gmail.com thanks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:28 pm 

I'm so in love with this, and the Hilux you sold. Uugh. :tu: :tu:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:02 pm 

Thanks! It's in good hands and has had some great coverage and I keep in touch with the owner so it's all good.

The MarkII will have some updates soon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:43 pm 

Awesome! That's a killer wagon!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 3 of 3   [ 54 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3