#
It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:58 am

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]
 Post subject: 18RC any value?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:33 am 

So me and my father have been diligently working on the Corona, and we finally produced a running car that drives pretty well, just needs some tuning/loving in the engine area :lol: the only question that we've really had so far is to keep the 18RC or not to keep the 18RC? I know I'll be driving on it for a while, but when the time comes when we want to do some drivetrain mods, do we rebuild the old guy or bring a new 20R or (hopefully) a 18RG? It may sound strange but I don't really see this car as having serious street potential as it was built to be an economy car, and I do kinda like the exclusivity of the 18RC to be honest...but as for reliability and overall performance considerations, what do you guys have to say?

Thanks for any tips!!

Post subject: Re: 18RC any value?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:46 pm 
Mild Cam

So since you said the 18RC is the "economy" single-cam version of the 18RG, are any of the parts compatible between the two?

1984 Porsche 911
1988 Mazda RX7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:52 pm 

I'd swap in a newer R... a 2RZ, or 3RZ... much more torque, more economy, and twincam goodness :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:12 pm 

rkkopra73 wrote:
As far as reliability goes, the 18rc is as bullet proof as the rest of the R engine series. If you are looking for performance out of the engine, I'd say just do a swap with an 18rg or 20/22R hybrid and be done with it. The RC is the single cam economy version of the RG, so you won't get a whole lot out of it without some substantial work done. If you just want a bit more power you could always do a pair of sidedrafts and bigger exhaust and you'd probably be happy with that. As far as its "exclusivity" goes, it isn't. These came in all sorts of small Toyotas from the era including all US Celicas 73-75, and I'm sure Coronas etc. It isn't going to be worth anything to anybody, unless it is a running swap for someone who just needs a working engine. All that being said, I drive the holy hell out of my 73 celica with stock 18rc and about 200k on the clock. It is enough fun to keep me enjoying the car, but not enough to get me into trouble on the road... Of course I do have a complete running RG swap waiting in my garage...

Robin

I was originally under the impression that the RC was only offered in California, and therefore had some scarcity behind it...but I guess I was mistaken! Well then I guess I'm stuck with the RC for now!! :mrgreen: Because I'm not really wanting to put out a few grand for the RG (unless theres somewhere to buy them for cheap?), and because I don't really have the time to do the whole 20/22R hybrid swap (unless they're actually pretty easy?)

thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:41 pm 

man stick with the 18RC. I rocked one in my 73 Corona for a while and the motor is still going strong. I had a cannon single sidedraft manifold and 45mm DCOE on it with a header. The car sounded great and had a bunch of torque even with the automatic trans that backed it up. It wasn't going to win many races, but at the end of the day who really gives a damn. If you want a fast car then get something fast to start off with and build from there.

Here are links. I don't feel like resizing
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt26 ... A/18RC.jpg
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt26 ... OT/040.jpg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:25 pm 

pertano wrote:
man stick with the 18RC. I rocked one in my 73 Corona for a while and the motor is still going strong. I had a cannon single sidedraft manifold and 45mm DCOE on it with a header. The car sounded great and had a bunch of torque even with the automatic trans that backed it up. It wasn't going to win many races, but at the end of the day who really gives a damn. If you want a fast car then get something fast to start off with and build from there.

Here are links. I don't feel like resizing
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt26 ... A/18RC.jpg
http://i618.photobucket.com/albums/tt26 ... OT/040.jpg

Haha your's is MUCH cleaner than mine both inside and out :mrgreen: but ya I had the same idea that if I really wanted to make a fast car, I could only go so far with my little Corona!

Post a new topicPost a reply Page 1 of 1   [ 6 posts ]